Wonka 2023 movie

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

Wonka 2023 movie

Post by Punisher »

Just saw this with my wife and we both really liked it.
It had plenty of funny moments and I could easily see the actor as a younger Gene Wilder Willy.
Not sure if he actually sang but if so he was really good.
Would have liked ot to be a bit longer and get us to at least year 1 of his factory, but maybe they'll do a sequel and cover it.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
disarm

Re: Wonka 2023 movie

Post by disarm »

We took our kids (9, 15, 15) to see it and everyone really enjoyed it. I have to admit that I was very pleasantly surprised and have been recommending it to others with kids as a really great family movie to see during holiday break. The story is solid if a bit rushed, the visuals are good, and the music is never overdone. The only weak part, in my opinion, was the oompa loompa portrayal. What was there wasn't bad, but it seemed kind of like an afterthought because they had to include it in some way. Still a really enjoyable movie though.

I'm a long time fan of Gene Wilder's Wonka, so it's hard to ever say anything tops that original, but Chalamet definitely takes second place. He brings a similar awkwardness that you could see turning into Wilder as he gets older, but he oozes a positivity that fits this story perfectly. Most importantly, he never tips into being weird or creepy like Depp's portrayal.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Punisher wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:21 am Not sure if he actually sang but if so he was really good.
He did.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We just saw it and really enjoyed it. And now I'm really craving chocolate.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We want to see it but doubt I'll find the time. :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

We saw it before Christmas and all really enjoyed it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

We saw it as a family over the holiday break. Everyone enjoyed it. It's too early to tell if it's a timeless classic. It was good enough I'd even consider a sequel. I don't need a Wonkaverse, but an Oompa Loompa sequel could be fun.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We saw it over break as well and everyone loved it. I absolutely despise the Depp version, so I was relieved that this movie rights the ship a bit. The whole time I was sitting there I was thinking, "This feels very 'Paddington'" not realizing it was the same director.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love anything Depp is in.

This Id not heard of . Never cared for Wonka as a child. Didn't see the Wilder version until grown. This one looks really great. The kid from Dune as Wonka seems a good fit.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I grew up on the Gene Wilder version so the Depp version just didn't resonate at all with me. His portrayal was so far removed from the Willy Wonka I had in my head that I just couldn't get past the silly/creepy take on the character. I like Depp in most things, but his Wonka just rubbed me the wrong way.

But my kids love the Depp version and to them it *is* the definitive version. They've seen Wilder's version but it doesn't do much for them. Just depends on which you saw first, I suppose.