Immortals of Aveum

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Immortals of Aveum

Post by Pyperkub »

Didn't see a thread, so here it is! Long and short of it is that it's an Unreal Engine 5 Magic shooter. I just finished the free trial last night, and while the trial is mostly on rails, it appears as if it's going to open up a lot as I progress.

Free Trial is up
EA's Immortals of Aveum went under the radar a little bit earlier this year, but we had a good time with it in our review here at Pure Xbox, and now you can check it out for yourself with a totally free trial on the Xbox Store.

The trial can be accessed by going to the Immortals of Aveum game page on the Xbox Store, followed by hitting the "Get Free Trial" button. This'll download the full game, but only give you access to the first three chapters. If you like what you play, the game is also discounted by 50% as part of the Xbox Black Friday Sale 2023.
I downloaded the trial last week, but it did allow me to purchase the Deluxe version at 55% off (came to about $35) from the trial in the main game menu last night on xBox (I expect there is also a PC demo, but I didn't look for it) and I played for a coup0le of hours more. The demo is essentially the first few levels as you get oriented, but you can get achievements and if you purchase, you can continue without needing to start over (I did need to quit and relaunch for it to recognize that I bought it and allow me to continue, but it did work for me).

Anyone else giving this a shot? I'm finding it's scratching an itch to play this kind of game, and not have it be Part X of a sequel oriented franchise.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Re: Immortals of Aveum

Post by Skinypupy »

This is one of the PS+ game for April. It always looked interesting to me, but since I'm generally shit at FPS on consoles, I had given it a pass. For free though, figured it was definitely worth a look.

The first hour or so as it sets up the story and world are a bit rough, but I've really been enjoying it since. The spell-shooter gameplay is fun, there's enough unique abilities to make it interesting without being overwhelming, it looks fantastic, the world and lore are really interesting, the voice acting is great (yay Zoë!), and it's manageable to get through (so far) for a terrible FPS player like me.

My guess is that it'll likely get too difficult for me at some point, but I'm very pleasantly surprised with it through the first 4 hours. Probably not a full $70 game, but definitely worth a look on sale or PS+.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can I get the demo on PS5?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Then I'm in. The concept reminds me of Heretic.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m not sure what part of the game the demo is, but note that the first hour or so (which I assume would be the demo portion) is probably the worst part of the game so far.

Hopefully the demo drops you in after the events in the opening city, because that’s where it starts to get interesting.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The free trial is available now on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S, and gives you a chance to sample the opening three chapters for yourself.
Update: 20th November, 2023: EA has clarified to Eurogamer that any progress you make during the Immortals of Aveum trial – which will be available "indefinitely" – will carry over should you decide to purchase the full game.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Motherhumper! This is what happens when your PS5 sits idle for over a year:

Find controller
Find USB cord for controller
Plug in HDMI
Plug in internet connection
Wait for 2 or 3 updates
Try to log in to store
Have to find password
Have to put in 2 step code
Find IoA in store
Hit download demo
Message says need to free up 63 GB of storage
Free up 550+ GB
Still get free up message
Restart PS5
Still get message
Pull out hair Gaagh!

Fortunately I looked at the gameplay and it is not my cuppa (like many modern titles). So I start browsing for games and am hit with choice overload until I get low blood sugar and have to stop and eat a snack. The end.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I talked with some of the people working on this yesterday as I was in their live stream play of it on Twitch. They are very proud of their work and rightly so and seem to be a good group of people too. The game play I watched looked really fun and layered with depth.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:58 pm Fortunately I looked at the gameplay and it is not my cuppa (like many modern titles).
It's not mine either (I almost never play FPS) but I'm finding it to be really interesting.

Maybe I'm just in the mood for something different so this clicked. It happens.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:37 pm I’m not sure what part of the game the demo is, but note that the first hour or so (which I assume would be the demo portion) is probably the worst part of the game so far.

Hopefully the demo drops you in after the events in the opening city, because that’s where it starts to get interesting.
On xBox, it was the beginning of the game, and doesn't include the city at all.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Still really enjoying this game, but have unfortunately come up against the barrier I expected would come at some point: a battle that my remedial (at best) FPS skills simply can't get past.

I'm about 60% of the way through, fighting the big bad on a Colossus and I simply cannot beat it. I've tried over and over for the past nearly 2 hours, and have yet to even get him past 50% health. I've watched YT videos so I know HOW to beat him, but doing so requires both precision aim and precise timing of special abilities that I simply don't possess (even when playing on Easy difficulty).

Shame, as this has been a fantastic game and I was really hoping I'd be able to muddle all the way through. Oh well. :(
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Is that the one in the library thing where you have to hit the gems with the right color magic?

Watched video. Nope. Later.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:22 pm Is that the one in the library thing where you have to hit the gems with the right color magic?
No, I could actually get past that one! I was rather proud of myself. :lol:

The boss that got me requires you to match your spell color to his barrier (which changes regularly), hit him while he's in constant motion (often teleporting completely across the arena out of range of your spells), all while you're frantically dodging his uber attacks, dealing with several adds, and having to time your shield deployment to avoid getting 1-shotted. My brain and reflexes simply overload and I can't track all of it. Tried another hour last night before giving up.

In checking the achievements, it looks like only around 10% of players even got to the point where I did, so I stuck with it far longer than most.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:48 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:22 pm Is that the one in the library thing where you have to hit the gems with the right color magic?
No, I could actually get past that one! I was rather proud of myself. :lol:

The boss that got me requires you to match your spell color to his barrier (which changes regularly), hit him while he's in constant motion (often teleporting completely across the arena out of range of your spells), all while you're frantically dodging his uber attacks, dealing with several adds, and having to time your shield deployment to avoid getting 1-shotted. My brain and reflexes simply overload and I can't track all of it. Tried another hour last night before giving up.

In checking the achievements, it looks like only around 10% of players even got to the point where I did, so I stuck with it far longer than most.
I'm going to play this game now, just to get to this boss. I'll let you know how it goes.

On a side note I did start the game up on the ps5 and I immediately changed the aim sensitivity down to .8 for both vertical and horizontal. It made a huge difference for me in aiming accuracy.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m sure any competent FPS player could get past it with ease.

I, unfortunately, am…less than competent.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:07 pm I’m sure any competent FPS player could get past it with ease.

I, unfortunately, am…less than competent.
I would say I'm competent at FPS games and no more. I refuse to play online multiplayer because i get owned bad by most of the other players.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished up the main story yesterday. I enjoyed the game much more than I thought I would, somehow I completely missed any press and reviews for this game. So it was a nice surprise. The game sets itself up for a sequel that I doubt we'll ever see since it didn't sell very well.

As for Skinny's boss he couldn't beat, I know what fight you're talking about based on your description. I didn't have any trouble with it on the normal difficulty settings, I could give you some tips if you want them. FYI you missed a bunch of the story if that's where you stopped playing. You also have to fight that boss again, but the second fight is actually easier.
FTE