Playstation Portal - anyone getting this?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Roman

Playstation Portal - anyone getting this?

Post by Roman »

I am seriously considering this purchase.
Why? - for travelling / lying in bed etc etc and being able to access my games. So for my use case it fits :horse:

I'm not interested in the peripherals that exist to allow me to use my phone / ipad etc as my phone screen is too small for my 50yrs old eyes and there isn't really a good option for using an ipad WITH integrated controller (not bluetooth)
I am also OK with being limited to playstation - I don't play PC games anymore (Steam library included) nor do I do much Xboxing.

Any other Gone Golders making the plunge to the PS Portal?
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Skinypupy

Re: Playstation Portal - anyone getting this?

Post by Skinypupy »

I love the idea of handheld gaming, but my eyes are unfortunately getting so bad that it becomes quite difficult for me to play anything on a small screen.

If I were still traveling regularly and needed something for long flights I might consider it, but I'll probably just pass on this one.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't get the product to be honest. It's a $200 remote play monitor/controller combo. Any existing device is a better option for this use case. So I guess if you had nothing, it's better than that. It's so dedicated to one purpose that I have a feeling it is going nowhere.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I hadn't even heard of it. But I'm trending in the opposite direction - away from the Playstation toward more exclusively the PC. That - plus reading the comments already in the thread - means I'm almost certainly passing it up.
disarm

Post by disarm »

This devices makes almost zero sense to me especially for the high cost. It is designed purely to stream a game running on your PS5 at home and has no ability to play any software 'on device.' It does not access the PlayStation cloud gaming service. The product website describes it as a device to "play your PS5 console over your home Wi-Fi with console quality controls." It is not intended to allow you to play PS games while you travel. The only way you could use it away from home is if your PS5 is configured for Remote Play and you have a stable enough wifi connection to actually stream from your PS5 at home to wherever you happen to be...and the Remote Play feature is unreliable at best. All it takes is a blip in your PS5 connection to the internet at home, or your console turning itself off while you're away and your Portal is useless. All it's really meant for is to sit somewhere else in your own house and play your PS5 over your own home wifi...and it costs $200.

I occasionally use my cell phone with a Razor Kishi, or a tablet with a bluetooth controller, to play xbox games via Cloud Gaming away from home and it works surprisingly well. I have PS Remote Play on my phone that I've tried to use the same way, but it's completely unreliable because I can't consistently initiate or maintain a connection to my PS5 away from home. If the Portal allowed cloud gaming, it might be different, but as it stands, I think this product is overpriced and is destined to be a total flop.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:46 pm I don't get the product to be honest. It's a $200 remote play monitor/controller combo. Any existing device is a better option for this use case. So I guess if you had nothing, it's better than that. It's so dedicated to one purpose that I have a feeling it is going nowhere.
Same. This doesn't make sense to me. And it's so far inferior to what Microsoft and XBOX are doing in terms of cloud gaming. I have become a huge fan of that offering. I'm now taking my XBOX controller with me on business trips. I just got back from one where I spent a couple hours every night before bed playing Starfield on my iPad. Fun!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

disarm wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:38 am This devices makes almost zero sense to me especially for the high cost. It is designed purely to stream a game running on your PS5 at home and has no ability to play any software 'on device.' It does not access the PlayStation cloud gaming service. The product website describes it as a device to "play your PS5 console over your home Wi-Fi with console quality controls." It is not intended to allow you to play PS games while you travel. The only way you could use it away from home is if your PS5 is configured for Remote Play and you have a stable enough wifi connection to actually stream from your PS5 at home to wherever you happen to be...and the Remote Play feature is unreliable at best. All it takes is a blip in your PS5 connection to the internet at home, or your console turning itself off while you're away and your Portal is useless. All it's really meant for is to sit somewhere else in your own house and play your PS5 over your own home wifi...and it costs $200.
Huh, shows how much attention I’ve paid to it. 😂

I honestly thought it was Sony’s latest attempt at a handheld system, a la PSP or Vita (both of which I had and enjoyed at the time)

Will definitely be skipping this.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Skinypupy wrote:
disarm wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:38 am This devices makes almost zero sense to me especially for the high cost. It is designed purely to stream a game running on your PS5 at home and has no ability to play any software 'on device.' It does not access the PlayStation cloud gaming service. The product website describes it as a device to "play your PS5 console over your home Wi-Fi with console quality controls." It is not intended to allow you to play PS games while you travel. The only way you could use it away from home is if your PS5 is configured for Remote Play and you have a stable enough wifi connection to actually stream from your PS5 at home to wherever you happen to be...and the Remote Play feature is unreliable at best. All it takes is a blip in your PS5 connection to the internet at home, or your console turning itself off while you're away and your Portal is useless. All it's really meant for is to sit somewhere else in your own house and play your PS5 over your own home wifi...and it costs $200.
Huh, shows how much attention I’ve paid to it. Image

I honestly thought it was Sony’s latest attempt at a handheld system, a la PSP or Vita (both of which I had and enjoyed at the time)

Will definitely be skipping this.
Yeah. I'm curious how many people will waste their money on a Portal having no idea how it actually works, then finding out that it's not what they expected...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I hadn't heard about it until I saw this post, at which point I assumed it was either a traditional handheld, or some sort of streaming system connected to Playstation Now. But for what it actually is - just an accessory for a PS5. I can see some uses (like in a family who have to share a TV and don't want to mess with their PC streaming... thing), but it's so niche - I can't see it being all that popular.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Yeah I really don't understand why they didn't include the ability to stream games from their streaming service. Especially since they just added the ability to stream PS5 demos on a PS5. Maybe they can patch it in later, but that's probably wishful thinking.
FTE
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Well ... Playstation Portal Has Sold Out Two Days After Launch.

The article does mention scalpers buying up stock, and we all know the production/inventory foolishness of the PS5 these last several years. But this has got to be good news for Sony, right? I mean, I'm not going to buy one, but some people are I guess.