Marvel's Spider-Man 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Post by coopasonic »

91 on metacritic based on 120 reviews

I just ordered my copy. I'll be jumping in this weekend.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Re: Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Post by GreenGoo »

My son pre-ordered it last week. I enjoyed Miles and used Playstation+ to play the base game of spiderman. Both were great. I probably wouldn't have paid full price, but I'm not going to say no if it's already installed.
disarm

Post by disarm »

The previous two games are fantastic, and I'm definitely looking forward to Spiderman 2. I won't be picking it up until after I've had my fill of Starfield though...
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

disarm wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:47 pm The previous two games are fantastic, and I'm definitely looking forward to Spiderman 2. I won't be picking it up until after I've had my fill of Starfield though...
Same, only replace Starfield with Baldur's Gate 3 and add in "and this goes on sale..."
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Watched my son play for about 5 minutes. Looks great. A little too much switching between control and cut scenes in the middle of the action, but the other two games were like that too at the beginning and then later you get more freeform control, which I prefer.

Combat looks like the previous two amped up to 11. Combat is by far the best part of these games, so I'm pretty excited to see how everything fits together. Nothing like getting 100+ combos to keep the adrenaline flowing.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played a bit this weekend. Level 54 out of the level 60 cap. 81% complete according to the game. I'm really enjoying it. The story has gone all over the damn place but it has kept things interesting. I imagine I am close to done but not really sure. Combat is very similar too the previous games, you just start out with a lot more options than the first one so it took me a while to get up to speed and I am still not using all my abilities efficiently. There is just sooo much.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

That sounds like you played a bit more than a bit. How long is this game supposed to be? I was really surprised with how short the Miles Morales game ended up being.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

msteelers wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:40 pm That sounds like you played a bit more than a bit. How long is this game supposed to be? I was really surprised with how short the Miles Morales game ended up being.
https://howlongtobeat.com/game/79769
Main Story
15 Hours

Main + Sides
20 Hours

Completionist
25 Hours
One of the trophy guide sites said 25-35 hours to 100%.

I don't see my play time anywhere, but I would guess it's on the order of 20 hours. Looked at the PSN app and it says 24 hours played. For the record, it shows 14 hours played for Miles Morales, which I did not try to platinum.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think that's the perfect length for a game like this. Otherwise they just heavily pad it with nonsense that really isn't fun. I'm replaying the first two before picking this one up.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I do think they did a better job with the trophies on this. Platinum doesn't require doing anything that is a total PITA. Also, just did one story mission over lunch and damn man, the stuff just keeps hitting the fan harder and harder.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the story Monday I think. I just got the platinum trophy. I had a lot of fun with it. Definitely some surprises in there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm no Coop, but I managed to finish it and get the platinum. Overall, it's better than the previous two despite some launch bugs. The Devs clearly love some Marvel and Spiderman. The story and characterization are top notch. Unfortunately, I waited until after I finished the game to go through all the gameplay and accessibility options. You can really customize the challenge to exactly how you want it.

I think I died/failed missions more in this one. Most of that was due to my constantly failing to parry heavy attacks. Occasionally, I'd get caught up fighting bad guys and forget about the mission objective. Sometimes I just forgot to heal using focus (guess what, there's a setting in the options that would have eliminated that). It always felt like a challenge, not like the game was being unfair.

I will offer one gameplay tip that I wish I knew earlier:
Spoiler:
Once you get Surge (pushing in both thumbsticks), use it freely. It recharges pretty fast and there's an upgrade that makes it even faster. Some of the later battles feel balanced for you to be using surge.
Overall, easy recommendation. Fun game put it on your Christmas list. I can't wait to see what the DLC is for this one. The hints for Spiderman 3 look fun as well. They've left themselves plenty of room to go in a variety of directions.