Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

WYBaugh

Re: NCAA Football 2023

Post by WYBaugh »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

WYBaugh wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:01 pm https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/flori ... 31-9m-now/

Says it better than I can.
eh, I disagree somewhat. Changing play calling/playcallers won't do anything due to the poor OL play (zero running game, multiple sacks).

The rest is currently over-reaction to Florida never opening on the road to a quality team outside of Florida, and even the OL issues could be the fault of opening on the Road with a new QB.

On the other hand, Utah was that one missed trick play from blowing you out, all other things considered, but...

... Oregon lost hugely to Georgia to start the season, and was in position to play in the Pac12 title game and perhaps the Rose Bowl late in the season last year, and a LOT of other teams have come back from bad performances on the road against tough teams week 1 to win conferences, play in the NY6, or even the playoff.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:40 pm
WYBaugh wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:01 pm https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/flori ... 31-9m-now/

eh, I disagree somewhat. Changing play calling/playcallers won't do anything due to the poor OL play (zero running game, multiple sacks).

The rest is currently over-reaction to Florida never opening on the road to a quality team outside of Florida, and even the OL issues could be the fault of opening on the Road with a new QB.

On the other hand, Utah was that one missed trick play from blowing you out, all other things considered, but...

... Oregon lost hugely to Georgia to start the season, and was in position to play in the Pac12 title game and perhaps the Rose Bowl late in the season last year, and a LOT of other teams have come back from bad performances on the road against tough teams week 1 to win conferences, play in the NY6, or even the playoff.
It's more the illegal formations, time management and some questionable play calls (the 4th down screen call one example). The OL is bad but we still see stupid penalties and big time lack of time awareness and management that he last year.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I watched the game and I am not sure Utah is that good or Florida was just that bad. The Utes defensive front dominated Florida all night but other than that it was basically a game of Florida ineptitude.

Congrats to Utah though. They did it with backup Quarterbacks, which is never easy. Although they knew that for months.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:26 pm I watched the game and I am not sure Utah is that good or Florida was just that bad. The Utes defensive front dominated Florida all night but other than that it was basically a game of Florida ineptitude.

Congrats to Utah though. They did it with backup Quarterbacks, which is never easy. Although they knew that for months.
Keep in mind that what we saw last night was basically Utah’s 2nd string. Most of our main playmakers (QB, TE, RB, d-line, and LB) were out. The only two position groups that were intact were o-line (which was great) and secondary (which needs some work).

Given that, I was thrilled with the result because, on paper, Florida’s sheer athleticism should have been a major advantage.

Speaks to the depth that Whit has been able to recruit and develop.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

WYBaugh wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:40 pm

It's more the illegal formations, time management and some questionable play calls (the 4th down screen call one example). The OL is bad but we still see stupid penalties and big time lack of time awareness and management that he last year.
Maybe, but all of those things happen to teams with good coaches in week 1 on the road against good teams with good crowds.

And against that pass rush, slip screens can be a good, maybe the best, call even if it doesn't work.

Don't overreact until next week ;)

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It’s been one half and I’m sick of Coach Prime already.

Give him credit though, CU looks much better than expected.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:19 pm It’s been one half and I’m sick of Coach Prime already.

Agreed. I was nervous but confident that we would be able to get a victory, but after that first series I knew we were in for a damn dogfight. His kid is LEGIT, and Travis Hunter is even better.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:19 pm It’s been one half and I’m sick of Coach Prime already.

Ha! I thought the same on both counts. Should make them interesting to watch & fun to root against.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hyena wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:04 pm Travis Hunter is even better.
He’s amazing, but I don’t see any way he gets through an entire season playing that much.

Very curious to see what happens with CU after a) other teams get some film on them and b) they play a defense with a pulse.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

WOOT!

Go Buffs!!!

Enlarge Image
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:08 pm WOOT!

Go Buffs!!!

Enlarge Image
Well played, sir.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
Hyena wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:04 pm Travis Hunter is even better.
He’s amazing, but I don’t see any way he gets through an entire season playing that much.

Very curious to see what happens with CU after a) other teams get some film on them and b) they play a defense with a pulse.
And they are thin. Injuries could crush them, but it was a pretty impressive start.

Also, TCU's defense rapidly degenerating into a Sonny Dykes defense...

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Checked the score of the Baylor game to see what Utah would be up against next week in Waco.

Oh. Oh dear. :oops:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

UCLA looked like we could be really good, but we need to clean some stuff up with a new DC and new qb, as we we were sloppy in week 1, but the lines were strong and there were flashes of greatness on both sides of the ball, as well as dumb penalties, missed blocks/blitz pickups and too many turnovers.

One I get home I'll probably watch the replay, but it was fun to go to a game again finally!

But, bottom line is that against a tough opponent with a very good and experienced qb, we won by 2 TDs in a game that a couple of years ago we would have lost by double digits.

ImageImage

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Was out at dinner celebrating my Mil's birthday and just checked to see what happened tonight.

Wow the Dukies smoked Clemson?

Also, I was flying back from LA, when I landed I saw that the LSU- FSU game was tied at 17.

Woke up this morning, finished watching the Ucla replay to catch what I missed in the stadium and then decided, what the heck, let's watch the tail end of what looked like a good game - FF'd to 17-17 and watched from there... Did not expect blowout city.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yep. Both Duke and UNC in the top 25 at the same time…in football!

Wild first week, and a particularly bad one for the state of SC…seemingly every major and minor team that played, lost this past week.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Going to be an interesting week in the Pac12 - loaded with top tier/power 5 opponents and lots of true road games. that 13-0 record will be bye-bye after the SC/Stanford game (might be interesting to see if SC's defense really did make a leap from week 1 to week 2, or it is just that SJSU is a lot better than Nevada.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utahs next starting RB got in a scooter accident this week that left him with multiple facial fractures and will keep him out 4-6 weeks. We are now down 9 starters for todays game against Baylor and are playing third string at QB, RB, LB, and two D-lineman.

Would not surprise me at all to come out of Waco with an embarrassing loss, especially considering who Baylor lost to last week.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alright, it's PRIME TIME!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That was the weirdest win I’ve ever seen. Two TDS in the final two minutes after doing nothing on offense the entire game. Then a very questionable non-call of PI in the end zone on the final play that would have given Baylor one untimed play at the 1 to tie it (should have been called, imo).

Defense has been solid (only 24 points given up in two games), but unless Utah gets Rising back and in solid form, this is a 5-6 win team, at best. Especially as tough as the P12 looks to be this year. Half our remaining games are against currently ranked teams.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

oh man, that Oregon - Texas Tech game was just nuts.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:12 pm That was the weirdest win I’ve ever seen. Two TDS in the final two minutes after doing nothing on offense the entire game. Then a very questionable non-call of PI in the end zone on the final play that would have given Baylor one untimed play at the 1 to tie it (should have been called, imo).

Defense has been solid (only 24 points given up in two games), but unless Utah gets Rising back and in solid form, this is a 5-6 win team, at best. Especially as tough as the P12 looks to be this year. Half our remaining games are against currently ranked teams.
I agree about that last call, but I was very happy to see y'all come away from that one with a W. Always respected Utah, one of the best games I've ever been to at Amon G. Carter in Ft. Worth.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Eight of the twelve P12 teams are in the top 25 this week. :shock:

This conference is going to cannibalize itself again, isn't it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:58 pm This conference is going to cannibalize itself again, isn't it.
Bring it.
Enlarge Image
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Weird situation in East Lansing, MI. Coach Mel Tucker, who is in the second year of his fully guaranteed 10 year, $95M contract, has been credibly accused of sexually harassing the sexual assault awareness speaker hired by MSU to speak to the team, including masturbating with her on the phone (he claims it was consensual phone sex). This woman is a sexual assault survivor herself, which makes these allegations even more horrifying.

With the news becoming public over the weekend, MSU has suspended Tucker without pay pending the outcome of a Title IX investigation. If he's terminated for cause over this, he could be flushing $80M or so down the toilet.

[edit]Adding a link to a story about it.[/edit]
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:shock: Time to turn on local radio
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. Wtf.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The cynic in me thinks that even at 2-0, this is a ploy to get out of that massive guaranteed contract. Especially given their history of cover ups.

Alternatively, they are actually being proactive in the wake of their cover ups.

I really don't know.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Eight of the twelve P12 teams are in the top 25 this week. :shock:

This conference is going to cannibalize itself again, isn't it.
Probably. There are a lot of really, really good teams, and even the bottom 4 have shown the ability to rise up and bite someone, but the top 8 all have some flaws/questions currently, and which teams are able to develop as well as withstand injuries could determine full cfp contender status of whoever rises to the top.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Local radio says yeah it's a way to get out the contract but...

1) The University knew about it since over the summer and let him coach anyway.
2) This wasn't supposed to go public until October, but the harassed went to the papers now.
3) Tucker says it was all consensual.

So the suggestion is the university wasn't transparent but it wasn't a coverup and they surely weren't being proactive. They are responding the public introduction, not their knowledge of the action. Still listening to what they are saying about what is happening and gathering details but the university will again not come out smelling like roses in their handling of the event given their knowledge timeline.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:12 pm The cynic in me thinks that even at 2-0, this is a ploy to get out of that massive guaranteed contract. Especially given their history of cover ups.

Alternatively, they are actually being proactive in the wake of their cover ups.

I really don't know.

This woman and her organization go to colleges around the country to teach on this kind of thing. I hardly think she would collude with MSU to help them get out of their contract.

Sent from my laptop using a keyboard.
LordMortis wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:22 pm Local radio says yeah it's a way to get out the contract but...

1) The University knew about it since over the summer and let him coach anyway.
2) This wasn't supposed to go public until October, but the harassed went to the papers now.
3) Tucker says it was all consensual.

So the suggestion is the university wasn't transparent but it wasn't a coverup and they surely weren't being proactive. They are responding the public introduction, not their knowledge of the action. Still listening to what they are saying about what is happening and gathering details but the university will again not come out smelling like roses in their handling of the event given their knowledge timeline.
I don't know a ton about it, but I believe that Title IX investigations are required to be super confidential, as in the higher ups at MSU probably didn't know the details of the complaint - just that there was one. Suspending him earlier might have caused confidentiality problems even if they didn't say why they were suspending him because it would have caused people to look into things. Since the accuser came forward, though, they could now suspend without issue. That's the generous reading toward MSU, anyway.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:34 pm Suspending him earlier might have caused confidentiality problems even if they didn't say why they were suspending him because it would have caused people to look into things. Since the accuser came forward, though, they could now suspend without issue. That's the generous reading toward MSU, anyway.
Doesn't sound unreasonable to me, based on what I "know" so far (which is not much)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When the absolute best case scenario is that your head coach had consensual phone sex with the consultant hired to lead your anti-sexual harassment and assault initiative, that’s…not great.

Incredible how big of a bullet Colorado dodged when Tucker ducked out of town. Doubly so considering what is happening in Boulder now.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:05 pm Incredible how big of a bullet Colorado dodged when Tucker ducked out of town. Doubly so considering what is happening in Boulder now.
You aren't kidding at all!

I hadn't thought of that yet.

Yikes.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ivy League basketball may change big time college football forever...
A group of 15 Dartmouth men's basketball players became the latest college athletes to pursue unionization this week with a petition to the National Labor Relations Board to join a local union. The "employer" listed with the petition is Dartmouth College/Dartmouth College Board of Trustees, while the union is Service Employees International Union Local 560 based out of Hanover, New Hampshire.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

In the first game, CU had "extra motivation due to TCU coach's past disrespect".

Against Nebraska, "Shedeur Sanders calls out Nebraska coach for disrespectful comments".

For this weekend's game against CSU, "Deion Sanders fires back at CSU coach over disrespectful comments.

Going for "bulletin board material" motivation every single week doesn't exactly seem sustainable for a whole season, but I guess we'll find out.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OMFG

holy crap, what a game.

Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn. Fell asleep before the end and was really hoping to wake up to a CSU win.

I couldn’t stand Deion as an arrogant, self-absorbed, showboating player, and I find that I like him even less now that he’s an arrogant, self-absorbed, showboating coach. Funny thing is, I actually had a real soft spot for CU before he got there. Now, not so much.

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong and Deion proves to be the next coming of Bear Bryant, but I still suspect CU comes back to earth as teams get film on them and they run into depth issues. CSU is not good, and took them down to the wire. We’ll see what happens…the next two weeks (Oregon and USC) will tell us a lot.

Utah’s backup team beat up on FCS Weber State yesterday, and still somehow ended up adding to the walking wounded. Our highly touted kicker (a position we’ve been sorely missing for the last few years) somehow hurt himself badly enough in warmups to be sidelined 4-6 weeks. Read that we had 15 starters out yesterday…sheesh. The only way we survive conference play is to get healthy and get Cam Rising back, and I don’t think either is happening soon. I’m fully expecting our home win streak to end against UCLA next weekend (Pyper, you coming in for it?) Our backups are ok, but not nearly good enough to get the job done against fast, talented young teams.

ASU and Stanford…yikes. Although I do admit I chuckled a little to see Troy Taylor get whomped by his old team. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:49 am Damn. Fell asleep before the end and was really hoping to wake up to a CSU win.

I couldn’t stand Deion as an arrogant, self-absorbed, showboating player, and I find that I like him even less now that he’s an arrogant, self-absorbed, showboating coach. Funny thing is, I actually had a real soft spot for CU before he got there. Now, not so much.

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong and Deion proves to be the next coming of Bear Bryant, but I still suspect CU comes back to earth as teams get film on them and they run into depth issues. CSU is not good, and took them down to the wire. We’ll see what happens…the next two weeks (Oregon and USC) will tell us a lot.

Utah’s backup team beat up on FCS Weber State yesterday, and still somehow ended up adding to the walking wounded. Our highly touted kicker (a position we’ve been sorely missing for the last few years) somehow hurt himself badly enough in warmups to be sidelined 4-6 weeks. Read that we had 15 starters out yesterday…sheesh. The only way we survive conference play is to get healthy and get Cam Rising back, and I don’t think either is happening soon. I’m fully expecting our home win streak to end against UCLA next weekend (Pyper, you coming in for it?) Our backups are ok, but not nearly good enough to get the job done against fast, talented young teams.

ASU and Stanford…yikes. Although I do admit I chuckled a little to see Troy Taylor get whomped by his old team. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.
Exactly my take on him. The worst part of it is his boys have true talent, especially Shedeur (sp?). And Shilo made more significant hits last night than his dad did in his entire career. I want to like them, I really do, but I can't get past the dad's snakeoil salesman sheen.