Dungeon World Play by Post

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

TheMix

Re: Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by TheMix »

I surge to my feet with a roar, knocking the table in front of me over (but I luckily had the ale mug still in my left hand!).

I grab the left edge (I pictured myself sitting to the left of the front door when facing the door from the room) of the table and toss it to the side. I grab my dagger as the room is too small for the sword, and charge at the closest red-skinned foe, bellowing in rage.

I aim a roundhouse blow with the mug at his/it's head and thrust the dagger at his belly with an upward thrust. The intent is to lift and toss the foe into one or more of his cohorts.

Edit: Now for the rolls.

Not sure how many movement rolls I will need. Or whether I get a Dex or Con bonus (for charging into combat). So here are two rolls:
1d6+1d8=9, 1d6+1d8=6

Which, as I understood it, means the 6 was rolled first and then the 9. So...

6... (for the movement roll) (please please please let there be a modifier :shock: )
9... (in case a second roll is necessary)

Whoops. You need the dice values:
1d6+1d8 → [6,3] = (9)
1d6+1d8 → [3,3] = (6)

And for the combat rolls, 2d6+2 (Str). I rolled three times. I'm hoping I won't need more than the first one!

2d6+2=6, 2d6+2=9, 2d6+2=13

13... (for the mug to the head?)
9... (for the dagger attack)
6... (hopefully not needed by the GM)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

First I am on my phone so I apologize for the formatting and brevity.

You are basically going for a hack and slash so just one roll is needed and unfortunately you didn't roll high enough to get what you intended. You do get a +2 for STR on the roll so the 6 becomes an 8. So you hit it with your mug, smashing the shards into its face (roll d10 for damage no modifiers) but it claws out at you for 5 damage, minus 1 for your armor, so 4. Luckily the d6 wasn't higher than the d8
Last edited by IceBear on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So not lots of little rolls? Just one roll to cover the whole shebang?

And who rolls for the What Are You Waiting For? Me or you?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I think Corvus is the last one I am waiting on, but if no post before I get back from the doctor I will start taking next actions.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:So not lots of little rolls? Just one roll to cover the whole shebang?

And who rolls for the What Are You Waiting For? Me or you?
The GM in this game NEVER rolls. Technically you were supposed to roll d6 to determine how much damage the monster did to you, but I had a dice next to me so I rolled it

Edit: A lot of the newer rpg systems are going this way. The GM doesn't roll but instead uses the time he would normally be figuring out math he is figuring out story elements
Last edited by IceBear on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:So you hit it with your mug, smashing the shards into its face (roll d10 for damage no modifiers)
1d10+2=6 Whoops. Sorry. No modifier. So a 4.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Your mug shatters into its face, gouging out one of its eyes. While it is wobbly on its feet, it licks the green ichor from its lips, snarls at you, and attempts to claw you to pieces
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I dodge it's clumsy attack, moving to the blind side, and counterattack.

Defend? Hmm... So it looks like there really isn't a concept of "you go, I go". It's just a question of "how" I go? So if I want to counterattack, I either Defend and hope I score high enough to do some damage? Or I just Hack and Slash and hope I score high enough to not get hit in return?

In that case, I don't want to Defend. At level 1 I wouldn't do enough damage to matter. So Hack and Slash. Which makes my modifier wrong. That should be a +2 from Str. Though it doesn't matter with that roll.

2d6+1=12

Damage: 1d10=5

Black Lives Matter

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

If I am ever away from the session and my action is required, assume I will use

Arcane Art: Heal 1d8, +1d4 Forward to Damage, Mind Clear of 1 Enchantment
Roll +CHA. 10+ Works. 7-9 your spell still works, but you draw unwanted attention or your magic reverberates to other targets affecting them as well, GM’s choice.

and roll for me.

The Damage Bonus is preferred to Barbarian first.
Heal if someone is under half hit points.
Mind Clear when applicable.

But as always, Big Brute first.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

2d6+2=6

Oh bugger me
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

U
TheMix wrote:I dodge it's clumsy attack, moving to the blind side, and counterattack.

Defend? Hmm... So it looks like there really isn't a concept of "you go, I go". It's just a question of "how" I go? So if I want to counterattack, I either Defend and hope I score high enough to do some damage? Or I just Hack and Slash and hope I score high enough to not get hit in return?

In that case, I don't want to Defend. At level 1 I wouldn't do enough damage to matter. So Hack and Slash. Which makes my modifier wrong. That should be a +2 from Str. Though it doesn't matter with that roll.

2d6+1=12

Damage: 1d10=5
Exactly, turns are just where it makes sense narratively. With that roll you stab it in the neck with your dagger before it hits you, killing it

There are still 4 left. One moving towards the barbarian and one towards the wizard. The other two are savaging the poor citizens trying to flee.

I am leaving for an appointment now so nothing from me for awhile.

BTW to clarify Defend and Defy Danger. Defend would generally be to defend someone else. Defy danger avoiding being hit.

CR I will tell you what your 6 means when I get back. The good news is you have 1xp :-)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Corvus:

2d6=7 plus CHA bonus of +2 = 9

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:Corvus:

2d6=7 plus CHA bonus of +2 = 9
Sorry I was asking for a roll because I missed that you rolled previously. I will let you keep that for your next roll dealing with the consequences of the 6
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Right. Missed that. Still working on remember who is whom.

Black Lives Matter

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Besides, Corvus is me.
"Where are you off to?"

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Doh, missed who posted that
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

On the Astral plane, several Astral wyrms have noticed that the fabric of magic has been disturbed by a poorly cast magic missile spell. They have been feeding on the raw essence of magic kicked up by the disturbance when one of them detects a bard trying to gather the raw magic it was feeding on. It lashes out psychically but the bard manages to raise his mental defenses in time (the 9 rolled by TheMix for Corvus). Unfortunately, Corvus will need to keep this defense in place until he leaves the immediate area, so he will suffer a - 1 ongoing when using arcane abilities until then or open himself to a psychic attack
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Aim another Magic Missile at the one advancing towards me cast spell 12

dmg 7
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Silly me...

Bardic Lore
Choose an area of expertise:
A Bestiary of Creatures Unusual

When you first encounter an important creature covered by your bardic lore you can ask the GM any one question about it; the GM will answer truthfully.
The GM may then ask you what tale, song, or legend you heard that information in

WHAT IS THE WEAKNESS OF THE (fillin name of red spiky thingy)?
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

If that's unacceptable, how about

WHAT MASTER DO THEY SERVE?
"Where are you off to?"

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The magic missile slays the creature easily despite the damaged magic in the area. The one approaching Gorran lashes out with a claw ripping the throat out of a man too slow to get out of the way. It makes a "come on" gesture to the barbarian and smirks at the death screams the citizens being slaughtered by the other two monsters
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I'll wait for others to reply before taking another action
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm not sure where we are at. We may be moving faster than our GM expected.

I see the foes going after the innocents and move to engage.

Either the one approaching me is too far to engage and can be ignored for the moment, or I assume I will have to deal with a potential attack.

I roar in challenge at the two attacking the patrons: What Are You Waiting For? 2d6+1=10
✴On a 10+ they treat you as the most obvious threat to be dealt with and ignore your companions, take +2 damage ongoing against them.

Then launch an attack at the nearer: Hack and Slash - 2d6+2=11

or...

Ignore my attacker to aid the innocents: Defy Danger (by powering through) - 2d6+2=11

Damage: 1d10=4 +2 from WAYWF

(stupid dagger that doesn't seem to want to do real damage... )

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Doh... looks like I was too slow to set the stage. But I think my response will still cover it.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Gorran steps forward with mighty roar, and the three creatures immediately rush him. As the closest reaches him the barbarian rams his dagger into its chest and then heaves its dead body out the door. (BTW, you normally do 1d10 +2 damage, I took away the +2 with the mug because it was a mug :-P). The other two lash out at you with their claws... Make two Defy Damage rolls using Dex if you want to dodge.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh dear... This should be... interesting.

Nothing if not consistent. 7 and 7.

2d6+1=7, 2d6+1=7

Black Lives Matter

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Scoop would like to perform a back stab on one of the lobster guys but I can roll. (In a work meeting) Can someone roll for my Dex: 2d6+2?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

For Scoop: 2d6+2=12

Black Lives Matter

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Thank Mix. I was using a dagger. Can you roll for damage as well?

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

If I have line of sight I'll cast a third magic missile at the one scoop's not backstabbing

cast spell 10

dmg 4

fyi i rolled an 8 for scoop earlier, but I deleted since themix beat me to it
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:Oh dear... This should be... interesting.

2d6+1=7, 2d6+1=7
You throw yourself to the side, barely dodging the attack but you are now off-balance and will suffer a -1 penalty on your next roll. The second one you can block with your dagger but it'll knock it out of your hand. Choose - take 1d6 damage (you roll) minus one for your armor or lose your dagger on the floor nearby
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Scoop20906 wrote:Thank Mix. I was using a dagger. Can you roll for damage as well?
Sorry, my damage rolls aren't very good today. :oops:

1d8=2

Especially if you get a -1 from Str...

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Actually, when a thief backstabs he can choose not to roll and just do his damage. I am ruling they are too focused on the barbarian to defend
Backstab “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” —Vlad Taltos, “Jhereg” When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to deal your damage or roll+DEX. [EIGHT POINTED BLACK STAR]On a 10+ choose two. [EIGHT POINTED BLACK STAR]On a 7–9 choose one. •[EN SPACE]You don’t get into melee with them •[EN SPACE]You deal your damage+1d6 •[EN SPACE]You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it •[EN SPACE]Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it

Roll 1d8 plus STR for damage and choose two Scoop
Last edited by IceBear on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:
TheMix wrote:Oh dear... This should be... interesting.

2d6+1=7, 2d6+1=7
You throw yourself to the side, barely dodging the attack but you are now off-balance and will suffer a -1 penalty on your next roll. The second one you can block with your dagger but it'll knock it out of your hand. Choose - take 1d6 damage (you roll) minus one for your armor or lose your dagger on the floor nearby
So, that would be the "worse outcome" and the "ugly choice"? No real choice, I never give up my weapon. Take the damage.

I believe that there are probably other actions that need to be resolved before it's "my turn" again. Let me know when you are ready, IB.

Edit: Doh. Missed the damage roll. I'll get the hang of this.

Woot!
Damage taken: 1d6-1=0
Last edited by TheMix on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Darn Tapatalk
Last edited by IceBear on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:Roll 1d6 plus STR for damage and choose two Scoop
According to his sheet, his damage is a d8. No?

So 1d8-1? Should my roll stand?

(I really hope he takes the additional d6 if so...

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:
IceBear wrote:Roll 1d6 plus STR for damage and choose two Scoop
According to his sheet, his damage is a d8. No?

So 1d8-1? Should my roll stand?

(I really hope he takes the additional d6 if so...
Typo... I edited it :-P
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And I'm going to change it up. Too much out of character stuff. Getting tired of italicizing. I'll switch. I'll do in character vs out of character.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

tru1cy wrote:If I have line of sight I'll cast a third magic missile at the one scoop's not backstabbing

cast spell 10

dmg 4

fyi i rolled an 8 for scoop earlier, but I deleted since themix beat me to it
Your magic missile strikes it in the back and it snarls in rage, but remains focused on Gorran
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'll deal 1d8-1 damage and then provide an advantage to the Barbarian. Correct?