[WW] TRON - Game Over - End of Line

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Scoop20906

Re: [WW] TRON - Roles distributed. Downtime 0: Orders are du

Post by Scoop20906 »

MOD NOTES: I've made a post directly after the rulez post that has the links to the beginning of each downtime and uptime as well as frequently asked questions that I have been getting via PMs from players.

It is located here: Game Progression and Frequently Asked Questions.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
theohall

Post by theohall »

stessier wrote:I'm a Chemical Engineer, not a Computer Program!

Code: Select all

10 Print "Hello World"
20 Goto 10
>Run

>Hello World
>_

FTFY. :)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Scoop,
If a player is infected by Thorne, they are not told of their new condition, correct?

(exception would be that clearly the two Daft Punks are given a new power, so they are 'told'...)

And: Infected players are not 'On the Corrupted Team' (unless they actually "login" to the Corrupted Team)

Is that all correct?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Unagi wrote:Scoop,
If a player is infected by Thorne, they are not told of their new condition, correct?

(exception would be that clearly the two Daft Punks are given a new power, so they are 'told'...)

And: Infected players are not 'On the Corrupted Team' (unless they actually "login" to the Corrupted Team)

Is that all correct?
This is all correct.

No programs will be informed if they are infected or clean. This information can only be found out by using a virus-scan order. The two daft punk programs will be informed that they have a new power to corrupt players if they are infected and also informed they have lost that power if they are cleaned.

Players who are infected count towards the Corruption victory requirements but are not considered part of that team. Only programs who login to the corruption team are considered on the Corruption team and can with with the Corruption victory.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

MOD NOTES: Small rulez correction that I missed and has now been corrected. Changes are in bold red.
Downtime Boilerplate:
All orders must be in before the hard deadline, or forfeit;
Downtime deadlines are normally 24 hours unless this occurs on a weekend where more time may be granted;

All Programs: Select a sector (1 thru 64) to search. (Search Sector ??)
All Programs: Do you wish to run code? (only two code can be run per downtime)
All Programs: Do you wish to login to a team?
Flynn: Will you use your back up and if so on who?
Quorra: Who will you use your anti-virus program on?
Thorpe: Who will you infect?
Daft Punk - Guy-Manuel: If already corrupted, who will you infect?
Daft Punk - Thomas: If already corrupted, who will you infect?
This basically means that all programs (named or unnamed) can only run two pieces of code per downtime. This limitation does NOT limit programs with natural abilities (for example, Quorra's anti-virus ability or Sark's derezz ability). They may use these ability regardless of the two code cap.

Sorry about all the last minute changes...
Last edited by Scoop20906 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Just need four more orders to get started...

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote:
Unagi wrote:QUESTION=\"is there any desire to try and coordinate Sector searches\?\"
export QUESTION
I thought about this as well. Because of how the sector results are determined, I think it is better to say what Sector you searched in the morning. Otherwise, with MCP's side getting extra searches, they could make sure we never get a clean search and significantly increase their chances of getting code.
I certainly agree that sharing ahead of time to coordinate allows MCP to interfere, but does it give MCP any less benefit then sharing after the fact? It seems like it's giving MCP too much info but is the benefit to the users greater than the benefit to MCP? Coordinating ahead of time means not colliding with each other (14 or 15 people?) and giving MCP the chance to Compete for 3 of those spots. Not coordinating means you may collide with each other and MCP is more randomly competing/colliding. I'd posit that it is worth more to prevent colliding with each other than it is to prevent MCP from colliding. I wouldn't count the MCP teams extra searches other than MCP himself, because I suspect most MCP team members are there temporarily as someone suggested before the game started and those searches may be helpful to the user team later.

Of course MCP could choose to not collide with the users and use the info to make his own clean searches. I don;t have the statistical capability to say which is better for the users or for MCP.

Then there is the wildcard of programs on MCPs team, are they going to want to share the fact they are searching two sectors?

I think WW games are much easier to watch than to participate!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Scoop20906 wrote:This basically means that all programs (named or unnamed) can only run two pieces of code per downtime. This limitation does limit programs with natural abilities (for example, Quorra's anti-virus ability or Sark's derezz ability). They may use these ability regardless of the two code cap.
Then I think you LordMortied that?

Doesn't that imply that "This limitation does not limit programs with natural abilities" ? :?:
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Unagi wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:This basically means that all programs (named or unnamed) can only run two pieces of code per downtime. This limitation does limit programs with natural abilities (for example, Quorra's anti-virus ability or Sark's derezz ability). They may use these ability regardless of the two code cap.
Then I think you LordMortied that?

Doesn't that imply that "This limitation does not limit programs with natural abilities" ? :?:
CRAP! Fixed in the original post. Thank you for catching that, Unagi.

Austin

Post by Austin »

I am searching sector 1. You guys stay off it, mine!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I can't decide whether to screw with the mod by giving my scan coordinates in Battleship notation or by two-dimensional array coordinates.
Austin wrote:I am searching sector 1. You guys stay off it, mine!
So that would either be A1 or Grid[0][0].
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote:I can't decide whether to screw with the mod by giving my scan coordinates in Battleship notation or by two-dimensional array coordinates.
You assume the grid is square.
:roll:

It's linear.... at best, spiral.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote:You assume the grid is square.

You're looking at it wrong. It's 11 dimensional. Be sure to specify the right string vibrational constant or you may not get the Sector you're expecting.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Unagi wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I can't decide whether to screw with the mod by giving my scan coordinates in Battleship notation or by two-dimensional array coordinates.
You assume the grid is square.

Is it?
ScoopDog wrote: The Grid := The Grid is broken up into 8 by 8 disc sectors for a total of 64 sectors
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Damn I already submitted my orders for sector 1. As a matter of trivia, Scoop needs to keep track of the number of collisions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Does sharing what we scan at this stage really help or hinder anyone?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

It's become really apparent we have some really buggy programs. I didn't read the rules yet :wink: j/k , but is there a reformat option.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
theohall

Post by theohall »

Sharing scans allows the MCP to take the chance at blocking our scans by competing with us to see who actually acquires the code in each sector. MCP sure as heck isn't going to share anything.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Mr Bubbles wrote:It's become really apparent we have some really buggy programs. I didn't read the rules yet :wink: j/k , but is there a reformat option.
Thorne is that you?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

theohall wrote:Sharing scans allows the MCP to take the chance at blocking our scans by competing with us to see who actually acquires the code in each sector. MCP sure as heck isn't going to share anything.
But it also allows us to not block each other, giving us a better chance at gathering up resources. Maybe on downtime 0 with 16 people going after 64 resources it won't be too bad, but on subsequent downtimes the pool of available resources is going to dwindle quickly and non-MCP collisions are certain.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

If we decide to share, by Not Sharing, he will give himself away. Oh, and [0][0] <-- Quorra. Hee hee hee
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

There is honest sharing. And dishonest sharing.

I don't think we should help the MCP make the best use of his power, which I assume would be to avoid searching any contested sector.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Then again, anyone could be the enemy, and the MCP doesn't have to be.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote:Then again, anyone could be the enemy, and the MCP doesn't have to be.
How is MCP not the enemy? Have you looked at the Victory conditions? Barring a first day lynch of Thorne, why would anyone choose to try and win as ENCOM?

The Users are in the best position to win. Whether or not a person is always on their team is one thing, but they definitely are the most likely to pull this off.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Recruiting?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote:
Unagi wrote:Then again, anyone could be the enemy, and the MCP doesn't have to be.
How is MCP not the enemy? Have you looked at the Victory conditions? Barring a first day lynch of Thorne, why would anyone choose to try and win as ENCOM?
What are you going off about? I didn't exactly say what you seem to be claiming , but - you did make me go back and re-read all the victory coditions.... I don't think the ENCOM team reads as totally unwinable.

However, I do have a question for Scoop,
I'm not sure how this all ended up.... Regarding Permission Bits and The Users' winning condition. At one time (I swear, perhaps I'm losing my mind...) you told me that the whole point was that the User Program(s) (namely: just Flynn, now) needed to be in possession of the key number of Permission Bits, in order to win. I can't seem to see where / if it still says that (or if it ever did), but I still do read where the Permission Bits can be passed (and the pass is betrayed by the moderator). Could you set me straight on this?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Unagi wrote:
stessier wrote:
What are you going off about? I didn't exactly say what you seem to be claiming , but - you did make me go back and re-read all the victory coditions.... I don't think the ENCOM team reads as totally unwinable.

However, I do have a question for Scoop,
I'm not sure how this all ended up.... Regarding Permission Bits and The Users' winning condition. At one time (I swear, perhaps I'm losing my mind...) you told me that the whole point was that the User Program(s) (namely: just Flynn, now) needed to be in possession of the key number of Permission Bits, in order to win. I can't seem to see where / if it still says that (or if it ever did), but I still do read where the Permission Bits can be passed (and the pass is betrayed by the moderator). Could you set me straight on this?
We did discuss that but in the end I felt it was too difficult a victory condition to pass all the permission bits to just one player at least the way the rulez are written now.

Here is what the Victory Conditions are now:
Users Victory:
Users must possess Permission Bits equal to the number of uninfected programs PLUS twice the number of infected programs active on the system at the beginning of Uptime thus allowing Flynn to defeat the firewall and escape the System. All Permission Bits held by Users players are added together for this check. (For example, if there are 5 Clean programs and 3 Infected programs currently active on the system, the Users must have (5 + (2x3)) = 11 Permission Bits at the beginning of Uptime to win.) The User's victory conditions can not be met until Uptime 2.
Anyone (including unnamed programs who login (join) the users) who have a permission bit count towards the User's victory condition. Also, the User's victory condition can not be met until Uptime 2 (at the beginning at the victory condition check).

However, now having re-read this I see what the confusion is. I saw Users must possess the permission bits. It should ready "User team members". I will update the rulez. Sorry about all this confusion.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

MOD NOTES: All orders have been received.

I am in the process of sending out all PMs with results.

I have sent out the Header Information PMs with the code that each program may have received from their Scans. If you did not received a Header Information PM from me then you do not currently have any code.

More PMs are on the way ...

Processing ...

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

System Uptime 1

System Uptime commencing in 3 - 2 - 1 - System fully online.

What am I susposed to now?

Survive.

Functional Programs:
1 THIF_NEWCASTLE
2 RBRD_THEOHALL
3 SEAL_ISGRIMNUR
4 MOON_RMC
5 DNGR_LASSR
6 YCAR_COOPASONIC
7 BABY_REMUS_WEST
8 EMPY_QANTAGA
9 ALIN_SECTOID
10 STCH_STESSIER
11 POPP_MR_BUBBLES
12 DAVB_LAGOM_LITE
13 AFRI_AUSTIN
14 SUSI_UNAGI
15 BNDK_TRU1CY
16 SMPN_CHAOSRAVEN

Derezzed Programs:
None

Majority to terminate is 9.

The hard deadline to terminate is Wednesday, February 2, 2011 by 10:00 pm (Eastern Time Zone). If no majority is met by the hard deadline we will move to Downtime 1 and there will be no termination.

Chaosraven

Re: [WW] TRON - System Uptime 1

Post by Chaosraven »

Hey, what's SMPN?
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Chaosraven wrote:Hey, what's SMPN?
LOL. SMPN = small penis.
:twisted:

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Hey, it's a matter of perspective. To a Liliputian I am ginormous.
"Where are you off to?"

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Scoop20906 wrote:However, now having re-read this I see what the confusion is. I saw Users must possess the permission bits. It should ready "User team members".
Is a neutral program logged into the Users a "User team member" for the purpose of sharing Permission bits?
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

/c: /text: still digesting the rules.. Too bad their isn't a neutral winning condition
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
stessier

Post by stessier »

tru1cy wrote:/c: /text: still digesting the rules.. Too bad their isn't a neutral winning condition
That would be right down your alley, wouldn't it?

:P
stessier

Post by stessier »

I scanned Sector 53 last night.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

The only winning move is not to play.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Lagom Lite wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:However, now having re-read this I see what the confusion is. I saw Users must possess the permission bits. It should ready "User team members".
Is a neutral program logged into the Users a "User team member" for the purpose of sharing Permission bits?
Yes. A unnamed program that uses login to join the User team because a User team member and the permission bits count towards the User Team's Victory condition.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

MOD Notes: Guess what, more rulez adjustment but this one is another oversight where I didn't put enough description and doesn't change the rulez. Please see the changes in bold red.
system_scan (program_name)
System Scan (10) := {1 execution};
{USE = Downtime};
{Scan the Header Information of any program};
{Header Information includes current team name, and code and permission bits};
Basically if you use system_scan to scan another program you will find out what team they are currently on (be aware that could change at the beginning of the next uptime) as well as any code or permission bits the program has. You will not learn their role.

stessier

Post by stessier »

So wait - what do we learn if we scan Thorne? What ability do we have to positively identify him?