THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Elden Ring

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaddison

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Jaddison »

Preloaded and ready to go. Hope it grabs me more than Lost Ask has
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Wow, the reviews make it sound like game of the year material. Been a long time since we had a hyped game come out with the reviews to back it up. Looking forward to it!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Torfish wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:11 pm Wow, the reviews make it sound like game of the year material. Been a long time since we had a hyped game come out with the reviews to back it up. Looking forward to it!
Ditto, i haven't preordered it. Mostly because I wanted to wait and see if the PS5 or Series X version was better. But I'll definitely be downloading this for one platform this weekend.
FTE
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:18 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:17 pm Tomorrow? Hot damn I thought it as Friday. Guess I should see if there's any reason to pre-order on Greenman or something. I needed something like this to get me out of my gaming rut of doom.
$10 off is the reason I guess. Already got my key from them so it shouldn't be the tragedy it was for Dying Light 2 sending out keys 6 hours after release. :P
It's now $14.64 off until tomorrow at GMG if you get an email from them for an extra 10% off.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
naednek

Post by naednek »

stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:13 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:17 pm Tomorrow? Hot damn I thought it as Friday. Guess I should see if there's any reason to pre-order on Greenman or something. I needed something like this to get me out of my gaming rut of doom.
$10 off is the reason I guess. Already got my key from them so it shouldn't be the tragedy it was for Dying Light 2 sending out keys 6 hours after release. :P
It's now $14.64 off until tomorrow at GMG if you get an email from them for an extra 10% off.
That's the price that broke me. I was like, I'm still playing witcher 3... Ignore ignore ignore. but my facebook feed, and OO kept luring me in. I didn't get an email from Greenman with an extra 10% but did use the Slick Deals extension and it took off the $14.64 and got it for around $45.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Apparently my I7-7700 doesn't even meet the min spec... I can play Cyberpunk at 1440P with almost maxed out settings. This makes no sense. I'm buying it anyway as I think the min spec doesn't make bloody sense. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

naednek wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:23 pm
stimpy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:13 pm
That's the price that broke me. I was like, I'm still playing witcher 3... Ignore ignore ignore. but my facebook feed, and OO kept luring me in. I didn't get an email from Greenman with an extra 10% but did use the Slick Deals extension and it took off the $14.64 and got it for around $45.
I had preordered it from Best Buy because I had $10 in rewards, but canceled it to get it at this price.
The only thing that I hesitated over was getting the steel book from BB.
I sold the one 1 got for Cyberpunk on ebay for over half of what I paid for the game.
I would assume this one would go for about the same, but who knows.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:23 pm Apparently my I7-7700 doesn't even meet the min spec... I can play Cyberpunk at 1440P with almost maxed out settings. This makes no sense. I'm buying it anyway as I think the min spec doesn't make bloody sense. :P
There are reviews that tell of playing the game with all 3 main items under the minimum. I guess there may be some problems but they seem to be happening to everyone.

I have pre-loaded the PC version but I am under specced, so we will see how that goes. Worst case I get a refund and play it using my daughters PS4.
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I guess I'll have to pass on this one. My 970 gtx is getting long in the tooth, but even if I could find a better card, my power supply and motherboard would need to be replaced and I can't afford a new machine right now. Oh well :(
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I got it for the series s instead just in case. I watched a ton of reviews and it runs locked at 1440p over 30 fps. Good enough for me for now. FYI on the Xbox you can switch your local to NZ and play now. I ran it for about 10 minutes before I had to go back to work. I was running around and spinning the camera and it seems perfectly playable to me in quality mode. I'm happy. Is it 5 yet?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The last time I preordered a physical copy of a game, it was standard that they arrived on release day. So, it turns out now that preorders from Gamestop don't ship until release day. Since that is a Friday, it'll get here Monday. Maybe. So now I'm going to cancel preorder #2 and put in preorder #3, directly from Sony for the digital version, sans bonuses.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Roman

Post by Roman »

Vacation day for me tomorrow but I’m headed North to Muskoka tonight to snowmobile for the day. Will be back on Saturday afternoon = game time!
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:03 pm The last time I preordered a physical copy of a game, it was standard that they arrived on release day. So, it turns out now that preorders from Gamestop don't ship until release day. Since that is a Friday, it'll get here Monday. Maybe. So now I'm going to cancel preorder #2 and put in preorder #3, directly from Sony for the digital version, sans bonuses.
I preordered a physical copy of Horizon Forbidden West from GameStop and they shipped it targeting release day delivery. It was here around 10am on release day. It was coming from PA so none of the magical shenanigans I get from having a well stocked Amazon warehouse I could easily walk to ( in a couple hours :P ).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:03 pm The last time I preordered a physical copy of a game, it was standard that they arrived on release day. So, it turns out now that preorders from Gamestop don't ship until release day. Since that is a Friday, it'll get here Monday. Maybe. So now I'm going to cancel preorder #2 and put in preorder #3, directly from Sony for the digital version, sans bonuses.
Not sure if it's available in your area, but here (SC) you can have Door Dash (!) deliver games from Gamestop the same day of release. It did cost a few dollars, though.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Any time someone isn't sure if something is available in my area, it's a safe bet that it is not. :wink:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:26 pm Any time someone isn't sure if something is available in my area, it's a safe bet that it is not. :wink:
That service is available closer to Louisville, and up directly north of you where I am. But I doubt down your way.
naednek

Post by naednek »

It's 3:02. Unlock already
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Restart steam?

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:31 pm Restart steam?

ya took about 5 restarts :P

Now to figure out why it stutters
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Make sure to grab new graphics drivers if you are playing on PC (for nvidia at least).

I played for about 20 minutes and was bored out of my mind. I got killed by a couple different things that looked like they should be killing me and killed a bunch of things that looked like no threat. Got the horse. Got killed and lost all my whatever souls are called now, relics? Not a huge deal as I was just shy of getting my first level up form killing the super easy to backstab knight looking guys. :P

Anyway, yeah it is much prettier than previous Souls games. Appears to have no guidance or tutorial whatsoever and continues the tradition of making quitting thew game a pain (return to title - press any button - connecting to servers - quit game).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Is there a difficulty slider? Asking for a friend.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:17 pm Is there a difficulty slider? Asking for a friend.
Easy mode is playing with a friend. No slider.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

naednek wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:47 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:31 pm Restart steam?

ya took about 5 restarts :P

Now to figure out why it stutters
Apparently stuttering is a common complaint right now.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

i switched to borderless window and that seems to be better.

Bloodstains don't seem to be working. I touch them and nothing happens.

I also can't figure out how to join coop.

This type of game is brand new to me as I've never played demon souls and the others. So it's actually fun trying to figure things out, but man I wish they made it a little more accessible early on. I just made it outside and had to skirt around the knight on the horse because he demolishes me everytime.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Dark Souls games don’t explain a lot. Most stuff is included in item descriptions. Prior games really were meant for the players helping each other. I am not sure how you avoid getting spoiled in an open world game though.
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

naednek wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:34 pm
Pro-tip: Coop has to have his computer on.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Freyland wrote:
Lol

I don't like the message system.

I got trolled early on. Not knowing what was going on I read a message stating to jump off this cliff.

Lol I did and felt foolish

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

naednek wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:13 pm
Freyland wrote:
Lol

I don't like the message system.

I got trolled early on. Not knowing what was going on I read a message stating to jump off this cliff.

Lol I did and felt foolish

You are a DS noob! :)
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Are messages able to be left by anyone, no matter what they refer to or if they are just trolling?
I'd hate to see my path littered with bullshit messages for the whole game.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
naednek

Post by naednek »

stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:19 am Are messages able to be left by anyone, no matter what they refer to or if they are just trolling?
I'd hate to see my path littered with bullshit messages for the whole game.
it's littered everywhere. I really don't see the appeal of it. I'm a bit surprised there's no cursing or racist remarks or whatever. I'm not sure if the messages are canned messages or if you can type whatever you want. I haven't tried and don't plan on trying.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They are pre-canned messages. You can piece words together. I find it useful sometimes. You're going to see an asston of messages right now because so many people are playing it. So I played for like 5 hours and it exceeds my expectations. It's just fantastic. And so far it runs like a dream on the Series S in quality mode. I think without VSS it might suck, but with it I'm super impressed. Really glad I got it for that instead of the PC at this point. No fiddling with drivers or settings it's bliss. :lol:

So far I beat the first big boss. At first I knew I couldn't beat him so I wandered off to find better loot. That paid off and it's super fun to explore the map. It's crazy to me what they have built. This is for sure the definitive Souls game. :horse:

My one tip is if you find a fight too hard just wander off and do something else and come back later. There's really no reason to beat your head against all wall if you don't have to. You will have more fun and you will get better at the game.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Messages are limited to a provided set of words and phrases. Most the time they are either meant to be humorous or trolling, such as the jump here messages. In the past they are both developer and player messages.

But you shouldn’t totally ignore them because every now and then a message might come in really handy, as in telling you about a hidden item or enemy.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

well i spent over an hour and basically got nowhere :P except getting a horse. I've died so many times I lost my runes :) I went to a cave and ran into some beast. I had to go through this yellow force field thing and I was hoping I could run in, get my spirit and then run back, but it won't let you leave once you enter. I was too weak to beat it and I just gave up. I made it to another area with a garrison of troops, and while I've stealth killed half the base, I end up dying when trying to kill the big shielded guy.

Liking the game, my first experience. I know going in it was going to be hard. I just need to get 5 more runes to level up and see what I can do.

One thing that's driving me nuts is that I'm used to hitting x to attack in witcher 3 but here it's potion drinking. I always get confused at the wrong time :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have played every game in the series and I've hit x by mistake like 1 billion times. My one super minor annoying thing is the map. Why is the button to open the map and close the map not the same button? I keep on opening the tip window over and over. That's like legit my only complaint so far.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

The PC controls on this game are so utterly bad that I am refunding it. I was stuck in the menu for ages trying to figure out a simple back command. They developers didn't even bother changing the button graphics for the menu for PC players. I then resorted to trying to get my Xbox and PS5 controllers to work, but that is having major issues too. Neither of my controllers would scroll down or up or side to side....the buttons worked but that's it. So back to steam it goes. I'm not going to play a half assed port to PC. I'll buy it on PS5.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

naednek wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:20 am One thing that's driving me nuts is that I'm used to hitting x to attack in witcher 3 but here it's potion drinking. I always get confused at the wrong time :D
Remap that @#$%! :D

Seriously, I had to do that when I started playing Ghost Recon: Breakpoint immediately after Wildlands. For some reason they took a couple of the commands and changed the default buttons between the two games. I also try to find two useful actions to map to my extra mouse buttons. One of the first things I do in every game.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
naednek

Post by naednek »

msduncan wrote:The PC controls on this game are so utterly bad that I am refunding it. I was stuck in the menu for ages trying to figure out a simple back command. They developers didn't even bother changing the button graphics for the menu for PC players. I then resorted to trying to get my Xbox and PS5 controllers to work, but that is having major issues too. Neither of my controllers would scroll down or up or side to side....the buttons worked but that's it. So back to steam it goes. I'm not going to play a half assed port to PC. I'll buy it on PS5.
I play with a controller on PC. To scroll through menus it's the dpad

But ya I don't understand game developers can't use standards

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I ended up getting it on the Series X. I'm about 2 hours in and so far I think the reviews are right, this is game of the year material. About the only complaint I have is that it doesn't look as good as the Demons Souls remake, BUT I suppose it won't when it's made for so many different platforms and it's open world. (Not that it looks bad, it looks good, just not as good as Demons Souls).

One other thing I noticed is that the game's color seems washed out compared to other games. For instance the icons in the pause menu that show the buttons seems duller than normal. Has anyone else noticed this on the Xbox or is it just my TV?
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

msduncan wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:53 am The PC controls on this game are so utterly bad that I am refunding it. I was stuck in the menu for ages trying to figure out a simple back command. They developers didn't even bother changing the button graphics for the menu for PC players. I then resorted to trying to get my Xbox and PS5 controllers to work, but that is having major issues too. Neither of my controllers would scroll down or up or side to side....the buttons worked but that's it. So back to steam it goes. I'm not going to play a half assed port to PC. I'll buy it on PS5.
Did you try scrolling with the D pad, I think even the console version requires you to scroll in the opening menu with the D pad and not the stick?
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:14 pm
One other thing I noticed is that the game's color seems washed out compared to other games. For instance the icons in the pause menu that show the buttons seems duller than normal. Has anyone else noticed this on the Xbox or is it just my TV?
I'm also on the X Box Series X and noticed that too.

I'm using the quality mode and I've not noticed any issues with frame rate or what not. That was a nice surprise.

...I just wish I could parry effectively. :oops:
Now depoliticized.