2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:54 pm Mine’s in Chicago already, so looks like I’ll get it Monday after all. Unless they drop it off in the mailroom at work and I drive in to get it tomorrow.
My all-in KS box was just delivered and I'm in shock at how much stuff there is. Not sure what you ordered in total, but definitely go through the whole box as there was a little baggie and a deck of cards that were under the packing material.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just did the Kickstarter base. Combined with my core set and a few expansions, I think that will hold me over.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I almost wish First Born wasn’t coming tomorrow because I’m getting ready to tackle my Combat! 2 expansion that came last week which has a really meaty campaign mode and some AFVs to either blow up or run like hell from. Of course, I’m certainly not going to reject the shipment when it comes at the end of the day tomorrow (supposedly) :P
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Notice how Smoove got all quiet after I said I’d just backed at the lower Kickstarter level? He feels badly for me now and doesn’t know what to say.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:15 pm Notice how Smoove got all quiet after I said I’d just backed at the lower Kickstarter level? He feels badly for me now and doesn’t know what to say.
When my pledge comes in I’m going to make a box fort from all the boxes or make a small dog house for my dog.
1x Core Space Dashboard Booster
1x Core Space Utility Dashboards
1x Core Space: First Born Kickstarter Edition
1x Core Space Clip Bases
1x Core Space Gates of Ry'sa Expansion
1x Core Space Dry-Wipe Pen
1x Core Space Trading Post 5 Expansion
1x Core Space Reference Cards
1x Core Space Patrol Class Shuttle
1x Trader Encampment
1x Core Space Enhanced Ship Dashboard
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You went all in too?
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:20 pm You went all in too?
I like the system and it’s more stuff I can use for Five Parsecs From Home! Really looking forward to the shuttle which will fit perfectly with some Five Parsecs scenarios. And I can fly it around with my hand making pew pew sounds while my dog either looks on with disinterest or wants to eat it…
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Christ, I’m like the red headed step child of OO now.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:23 pm Christ, I’m like the red headed step child of OO now.
I keep typing some sarcastic comment then removing it because I just feel pity for you….

:P

(I think you made the right call though. Especially if you don’t bring it to the table a lot because set up is a bit involved)
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like I had one shot and I just blew it. No one here is going to let me live this down.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:15 pm Notice how Smoove got all quiet after I said I’d just backed at the lower Kickstarter level? He feels badly for me now and doesn’t know what to say.
Yeah, but you did funnel your money toward a Final Girl gaming mat, so...

:D

I am staring at all this Core Space stuff now and wondering WTF I was thinking. It's...a ton.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One thing I didn’t realize is that First Born is solo centric. At the Kickstarter level I went in on, there’s only enough dashboards for one ship and one crew. So I went ahead and added one extra of each to my order for the deluxe rulebook and dangerous days expansion.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:57 pm I am staring at all this Core Space stuff now and wondering WTF I was thinking. It's...a ton.
I got my All-In Pledge today too. As I was opening it up just 20 minutes ago, I literally said to myself, "This is a $%^#-ton of content."

Added to the base game, you have an unbelievable amount of stuff. I've also got several expansions from the base-game era. I feel like this is less of a game and more of a customizable ruleset and simulation. I'm pretty pleased.

One thing that freaked me out - a lot of the extra KS content is in the base box. At first I was looking for separate expansion boxes before noticing that they ended up there (e.g. Fury of the Insane God).
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I went all in too (of course) but I haven’t even opened the box at this point. I’m in way too deep on Pulp Alley right now and don’t need the distraction.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

In other news, I'm seriously thinking about taking the Hepcat Path (tm) with Final Girl. I started off extremely excited about the new campaign, but after looking at all the KS games I have coming, the KS games I recently received, and my backlog of excellent games, I'm just not sure I need it. I'm mostly excited about the asylum, The Entity (THING), and the alien, but pretty "meh" about the redneck cultists and werewolf. And I have Nemesis if I want to get my Alien kicks. So that really just leaves two boxes, and I am not sure that justifies getting minis and such.

I am sure I'll regret dropping my pledge (I did last time), but the boxes all showed up for $16 a pop at Miniature Market. So that seems like a reasonable risk, if I want to wait.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Got my Kickstarter edition of the bass game. It has quite a few extras that would certainly cost more to buy separately than what I paid for it.

But as I lovingly opened each container, I couldn’t help but think about those of you with the 2,389 expansions included in the All In pledge, and a tear rolled down my cheek like an Italian American actor asked to pretend he’s a Native American watching people litter near his horse, and I began to quietly choke back a sob as I did so.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:11 pm Got my Kickstarter edition of the bass game.
This one?

Enlarge Image
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have GOT to stop replying to posts on mobile devices.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:13 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:11 pm Got my Kickstarter edition of the bass game.
This one?

Enlarge Image
Why do I feel like Hep would own that?

Why do I actually want to PLAY that?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If CMON made it, it would have a 3 foot long salmon as a stretch goal.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Something is due to be delivered on Tuesday. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm guessing Tiny Epic Dungeons.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Someone at my place of employment made a light, quick card game with her sister. It has a cute art style and I figured it was worth a mention:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My Tiny Epic Dungeons just showed up. Wasn't expecting that just yet, but happy to finally see it.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:01 pm My Tiny Epic Dungeons just showed up. Wasn't expecting that just yet, but happy to finally see it.
USPS? I have an unknown package coming tomorrow that could be TED.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

USPS

However, I forgot to add on a playmat so I just threw the whole thing away.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:15 pm USPS

However, I forgot to add on a playmat so I just threw the whole thing away.
That's OK. I'll think of you* while I marvel at my playmat.

*Briefly. In passing.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Not to rain on any parades, but I am hearing that Tiny Epic Dungeons is plagued by the same bad rulebooks as nearly all the TE series. I really love Tiny Epic Pirates, but the rulebook for that one is just horrible. For what seems like such a simple game, you have to consistently refer to the rulebook for all the random little rules that it has.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tiny Epic Zombies also has a shitty rulebook. Setup alone was an exercise in frustration as it wasn't very clear what you needed to do. But after I got past that, I was surprised at how much fun it was.

I'm hoping that's the same thing with TED. Otherwise I'm going to have to have a TED talk.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:01 pm My Tiny Epic Dungeons just showed up. Wasn't expecting that just yet, but happy to finally see it.
Mine showed up today too. I was surprised, as I didn't get any sort of shipping notification.

I love TE Galaxies, but have been mostly underwhelmed with all the other ones I've picked up (Zombies, Tactics, and Kingdoms). Hoping this one fares somewhat better.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Nemesis Lockdown is due to be delivered by the end of today. So here's hoping.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

First game of Tiny Epic Dungeons down. Don't let the "tiny" in the title fool you, there lots of game here. While I imagine it will get simpler with repeat plays, there are so many steps and symbols to remember that it feels a little overwhelming the first time. I ended up getting trounced, but have already started thinking of things I could do differently. I think I mostly like it, with the dungeon crawling feeling more crunchy and strategic than I expected.

The bad news is that the manual is mostly complete garbage. The good news is that there's an interactive tutorial available through the Dized app that is really well done. I was very impressed (and very grateful) at how they put that tutorial together, but it would have been a real bugger to figure out how to play just from the manual.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent, thanks for the tips and the praise. Now I can’t wait to try it! I may introduce it to the gang on Saturday after all.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Nothing but silence about Hour of Need getting shipped out. :(
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, Blacklist Games has burned up the good will they’ve built with a lot of people over this. I have 4 outstanding projects from them that I should have had by now. :x
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think it's pretty clear they're in financial trouble. Regardless, I also can't imagine backing anything they ever produce ever again, which is unfortunate. I am hopeful I'll get most of what I paid for but at this point I am beginning to doubt it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:03 pm
USPS? I have an unknown package coming tomorrow that could be TED.

And delayed with the vague USPS 'in transit' status.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Not my project but mine is featured in it! The Tabletop Find-It Book. A picture search book for boardgame components. Just kind of cool to see something you've made show up along side a bunch of high profile games. :)

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:19 am I think it's pretty clear they're in financial trouble. Regardless, I also can't imagine backing anything they ever produce ever again, which is unfortunate. I am hopeful I'll get most of what I paid for but at this point I am beginning to doubt it.
There have been a couple of companies who have been up front about being hit with additional fees for storage or shipping due to the current disruption of the supply chain. I can live with that. Saying that they need to do a "few more things" is cagey as shit and I assume that the "things" means "we owe more money" but leaving out the part about "we have the funds to pay our bill".
Black lives matter!

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

God dammit...

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Backed it the moment it launched. :D

Doesn't hurt that it's fairly inexpensive....even with the playmat.
He won. Period.