2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

[Gushing Parents] Tell me your cute kid stories

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: [Gushing Parents] Tell me your cute kid stories

Post by stessier »

Over breakfast with kiddo 3.11

Me - Do you remember you are going to a play date today?
kiddo - Yes. Is mommy coming?
Me - Yes, she will be there and your sister too.
kiddo - But you won't be there, right?
Me - Right.
kiddo - Because you have to work.
Me - Right.
kiddo - But Daddy, you're going to miss all the 'citement!

So true, so true.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My almost 4 year old younger child informed my wife yesterday that moms can't be the boss -- of a ninja.

This role significantly departs from type as she's usually calling herself a pirate. I guess she just figured out pirates must obey their captain.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ninja either belonged to a house or were hired by those who wished their services. Even ninja took orders.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Thomas (three-and-a-half) on the subject of testicles:

"But I want THREE balls!"

According to a text I just received from my wife, he's also considering the possibility of growing additional penises.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Little B (4.4): "Dad, why do you have fur in your nose?"
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Isgrimnur wrote:Ninja either belonged to a house or were hired by those who wished their services. Even ninja took orders.
Only if they could find and catch their fellow ninja. And they weren't throwing temper tantrums. ;)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The temper tantrums should make them easy to catch. :D
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

YellowPrincess (3) is in "animal facts" phase right now.

So far I have learned that:

1. If a shark bites off an okkapus's arm, it will grow back.

2. An arma-deer-lo can roll up into a ball.

3. Dinosaurs lived a long long long long long long long long time ago but they aren't real.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote:3. Dinosaurs lived a long long long long long long long long time ago but they aren't real.
Intelligent Design making into daycares these days? :wink:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

My son broke down into a huge sobbing / crying fit when we sang happy birthday to him on his second birthday. He's either very sensitive about his age already or is trying to tell us something about our singing :)
PLW

Post by PLW »

IceBear wrote:My son broke down into a huge sobbing / crying fit when we sang happy birthday to him on his second birthday. He's either very sensitive about his age already or is trying to tell us something about our singing :)
My daughter did the same thing. I think it might be all the singing(noise) and focussed attention.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Son 3.1 - Daddy, can I have cheese on my pasta?
Me - Oh, ok. You like cheese on your pasta?
Son 3.1 - Yes Daddy! I like cheese better than you!
Me - Is that so? Well, I can say the same thing about bacon.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

PLW wrote:
IceBear wrote:My son broke down into a huge sobbing / crying fit when we sang happy birthday to him on his second birthday. He's either very sensitive about his age already or is trying to tell us something about our singing :)
My daughter did the same thing. I think it might be all the singing(noise) and focussed attention.
Yeah, I am pretty sure that's all it is, but I like putting funny thoughts in his head :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

We went to McDonalds for lunch yesterday and Ronald McDonald was there. My 3.11 year old was fine with it as long as he was nowhere near her and she was sitting on my lap or being held. But then she kept complaining that she wanted to give him a high-five...but not, you know, with touching hands or anything. I had to leave to get back to work before my wife took them home and I heard that on the way out, she did actually get her high five and it made her day. Personal growth!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

I frequently get.

Kaya (4.4) - daddy, why is there less hair on top of your head?

As well as...

Kaya - why do you have white whiskers now?

In reference to my stubble that's recently gotten very peppered.

And the other day.

Kaya- Daddy you know you have white hairs in your eyebrows?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kids: Mom, pretend we're cowboys and we walk into your bar.
Mom: OK. What'll it be, gentlemen?
Kids: Um, beer.
Mom: Sure. What kind?
Kids: Peppermint.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

CCR Proud Mary came on the radio in the car the other day. My daughter started clapping along.
I was so proud :wub:
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Last week we took the bus home from work/daycare while the wife took the car. We got on on Michigan and sat in heavy traffic for about 10 mintues/2 blocks. As we crawled along she spotted a convertable outside the window stuck in traffic next to us. She said things like, "Hey, that car has no top!" and I explained convertables to her. People around us, stuck on the bus, gave grins and chuckled as I explained. Then she said, of the driver of the car, "Hey, that guy has no hair! He's bald and his car has no top!" I was mortified but everyone started laughing out loud. Even the bald guys.

1 more block and about 5 minutes later, she said, "I have to pee...BAD!" By the grace of God, we were pulling up to the Water Tower Place stop so we jumped off, me in a panic (on our recent vacation she peed in the car so I know from "BAD!"). We ran into the Water Tower and I frantically searched the map for the nearest bathroom. There were some on 2 but there was a "Family" restroom on 3. I took the gamble and we headed up the escalators to the 3rd floor. Well, it worked out fine, no accidents, and we went into the spacious Family restroom (are you supposed to lock he door? It had 2 toilets but no dividers). As we were sitting there, her on the pot and me marvelling at the 12x12 marble tiled restroom, she said, "Hey, daddy, I love this music!" I hadn't been paying attention but it was Miles Davis. "Really? You do?" "Yes, I LOVE it, daddy!" Bam! It was on! We spent the next half-hour in the 3rd floor lobby area dancing and listening to the jazz they were pumping in.

By the time we left the mall, traffic was clearing and we grabbed a half-empty bus through Lincoln Park and marvelled at all the trees and joggers and dogs. "Hey, that guy has no shirt!!!" was heard often.

And that is how what would have been an average 1-hour commute in a snarl of rush hour summer traffic transforms into 2 of the best hours of my life.
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jag

Post by Jag »

LawBeefaroni wrote:And that is how what would have been an average 1-hour commute in a snarl of rush hour summer traffic transforms into 2 of the best hours of my life.
Awww :wub:
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

That was a particularly sweet anecdote.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Awesome, Lawbeef. :)

My new favorite things is that I taught my 2 year old to scream "Respect my autonomy, Mommy!" when she insists on cuddles and kisses when all he wants to do is play. I can't wait until this happens in public.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

My son has taken to crying "Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!" when he doesn't want to be picked up. My wife had taken him to the bookstore and they had a Thomas trainset on a playtable which he was thoroughly enjoying. So, when it was time to leave, he of course didn't want to, and my wife was on the receiving end of many stares as she headed towards the door with Zack screaming "Ouch!" at the top of his lungs.
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

After having gotten horrible stares in a sears on time. I feel the pain.
We were waiting to check out and there were many people in the line. Kaya, at the time 3, she was jumpin in and out of line. Pulling the barricade for the line. I warned her if she did it again we would go outside. She decided to jump out and nearly pull the rope divider down on the lady behind us. I grabbed her hand, handed the stuff I was buyin to her mom, and we headed out to the foyer. Kaya screaming. Lady who was in front of me looked at me like I was the worst parent in the world. And all we did was stand I bathe foyer while my daughter cried.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Markstrink wrote:And all we did was stand I bathe foyer while my daughter cried.
Ahhh, autocorret, how you amuse me. :D
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

IceBear wrote:My son has taken to crying "Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!" when he doesn't want to be picked up. My wife had taken him to the bookstore and they had a Thomas trainset on a playtable which he was thoroughly enjoying. So, when it was time to leave, he of course didn't want to, and my wife was on the receiving end of many stares as she headed towards the door with Zack screaming "Ouch!" at the top of his lungs.
My 3-year-old went through a phase like this, except he would start screaming "HELP! HELP!" at the top of his lungs.

This is particularly not amusing in public.

My wife had him at the grocery store one afternoon, and he completely lost it at the checkout when she started pulling things out of the cart that HE wanted to put on the belt. Total meltdown, as only a toddler can do. She finished paying and had to haul him out of there while he was screaming "NO! NO! HELP! HEEEEELP!!". I'm amazed nobody stopped her.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote:And that is how what would have been an average 1-hour commute in a snarl of rush hour summer traffic transforms into 2 of the best hours of my life.
That's awesome, I'm jealous.

In trying to juggle two colicky newborns, our default answer to anything Little B asks has become "Maybe later".

- Can we go to the park? Maybe later (as we're in the middle of changing two massive diaper blowouts).
- Can you read me a story? Maybe later (as I'm walking around the house with a screaming infant in each arm trying to calm them down)
- Can we go out and ride my bike? Maybe later (as I'm trying to squeeze in 15 minutes of much-needed sleep).

Last night, Little B came up to Mrs. Skinypupy as she was changing Wonder Twin #1 and asked, "Mom, can you play a game with me?" Before Mrs. Skinypupy could even turn around and answer, Little B dejectedly said "I know...maybe later", put her head down, slumped her shoulders, and trudged off to her room. :cry:

Man, talk about feeling like shit...
Jag

Post by Jag »

When you comin' home, Dad
I don't know when, but we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then
My baby boy turns 13 in September. Time fucking flies.
Last edited by Jag on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Being the oldest kinda sucks....
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote:
That's awesome, I'm jealous.

In trying to juggle two colicky newborns, our default answer to anything Little B asks has become "Maybe later".

- Can we go to the park? Maybe later (as we're in the middle of changing two massive diaper blowouts).
- Can you read me a story? Maybe later (as I'm walking around the house with a screaming infant in each arm trying to calm them down)
- Can we go out and ride my bike? Maybe later (as I'm trying to squeeze in 15 minutes of much-needed sleep).

Last night, Little B came up to Mrs. Skinypupy as she was changing Wonder Twin #1 and asked, "Mom, can you play a game with me?" Before Mrs. Skinypupy could even turn around and answer, Little B dejectedly said "I know...maybe later", put her head down, slumped her shoulders, and trudged off to her room. :cry:

Man, talk about feeling like shit...
Oof, that's rough. If it's any consolation, I have a friend who was in a similar situation. One 4 year-old and then suddenly new twins. They weren't colicky but had other issues that needed constant attention. He was going out of his mind. He came into town on business for two days in the middle of it and I have never seen him go through 6 doubles of scotch so fast as the moment he got off the plane (and I went to college with the guy). Anyway, his daughter was feeling pushed to the back burner too and while he noticed it, he said he didn't even have time to address or deal with it. They were eventually able to work in shifts with the twins and elder-daughter-duty became almost like time off. She survived with no ill effects. Though she is still very good at guilting her parents on occasion. :lol:

Now he says while it may have been the most stressful, sleepless time of his life, he *ahem cliche* wouldn't trade it for anything. He also says he wants to beat the crap out of his pre-twin self for thinking it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Oof, that's rough. If it's any consolation, I have a friend who was in a similar situation. One 4 year-old and then suddenly new twins. They weren't colicky but had other issues that needed constant attention. He was going out of his mind. He came into town on business for two days in the middle of it and I have never seen him go through 6 doubles of scotch so fast as the moment he got off the plane (and I went to college with the guy). Anyway, his daughter was feeling pushed to the back burner too and while he noticed it, he said he didn't even have time to address or deal with it. They were eventually able to work in shifts with the twins and elder-daughter-duty became almost like time off. She survived with no ill effects. Though she is still very good at guilting her parents on occasion. :lol:

Now he says while it may have been the most stressful, sleepless time of his life, he *ahem cliche* wouldn't trade it for anything. He also says he wants to beat the crap out of his pre-twin self for thinking it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Stressful and sleepless definitely sound about right. I'm pretty much living on caffeine at this point, and I have that near-constant throbbing headache that accompanies lack of sleep. It's made worse by the fact that we're coming up on our fiscal year-end, which is always the most stressful time of year anyways. I'm nowhere near as effective as I need to be, but thankfully my boss is pretty cool about it (he's got 4 kids of his own).

We're remarkably fortunate to have a bunch of awesome neighbors who have been willing to take Little B at the drop of a hat. So instead of sitting around watching TV while mom and dad wrangle the twins, she can go over to their houses and play (i.e. get spoiled) for a few hours every day. It's been a godsend over the last couple weeks.

I'm on a cross-country flight tomorrow to DC. I typically dislike traveling, but a quiet hotel room with no screaming children honestly sounds like paradise right about now. I even got upgraded to First Class, which has never happened in the 30'ish times I've done that flight. The sleep gods must know I'm running dangerously low. :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Oof, that's rough. If it's any consolation, I have a friend who was in a similar situation. One 4 year-old and then suddenly new twins. They weren't colicky but had other issues that needed constant attention. He was going out of his mind. He came into town on business for two days in the middle of it and I have never seen him go through 6 doubles of scotch so fast as the moment he got off the plane (and I went to college with the guy). Anyway, his daughter was feeling pushed to the back burner too and while he noticed it, he said he didn't even have time to address or deal with it. They were eventually able to work in shifts with the twins and elder-daughter-duty became almost like time off. She survived with no ill effects. Though she is still very good at guilting her parents on occasion. :lol:

Stressful and sleepless definitely sound about right. I'm pretty much living on caffeine at this point, and I have that near-constant throbbing headache that accompanies lack of sleep. It's made worse by the fact that we're coming up on our fiscal year-end, which is always the most stressful time of year anyways. I'm nowhere near as effective as I need to be, but thankfully my boss is pretty cool about it (he's got 4 kids of his own).

We're remarkably fortunate to have a bunch of awesome neighbors who have been willing to take Little B at the drop of a hat. So instead of sitting around watching TV while mom and dad wrangle the twins, she can go over to their houses and play (i.e. get spoiled) for a few hours every day. It's been a godsend over the last couple weeks.

I'm on a cross-country flight tomorrow to DC. I typically dislike traveling, but a quiet hotel room with no screaming children honestly sounds like paradise right about now. I even got upgraded to First Class, which has never happened in the 30'ish times I've done that flight. The sleep gods must know I'm running dangerously low. :)
Please tell me your wife is going to have extra help while you are on the trip. :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yep, her mom is staying the night.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't want to freak you out when you announced that you were expecting twins, but the only family I know with twins eventually joined a support group for parents with multiples. I know the mother was at her limit and she said the group was very helpful. Not sure if that's an option for you, but I mention it on the off chance it's something than can be of benefit. I don't know exactly where they found the group (this was 12+ years ago so it was probably the hospital or doctor's office); I'd imagine it would be much easier now searching on the Intertubes. Good luck.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Not my kid, but I found the story funny. He's a very sarcastic person so don't take it too seriously. ;)

Kid: Daddy why aren't you eating your dinner?
Me: Because your mother didn't make me anything to eat.
Kid: Mommy, why didn't you make daddy's dinner?
Mommy: Gavin, didn't I just walk through the door? I'm not superwoman you know. I can't do everything.
Gavin: Well Superman is downstairs...and he needs to eat.
Mommy: Excuse you???
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote:

just wait for the feeling of guilt to rush in when your wife is alone with the kids :P That's not a judgement, it's just a fact :D I was away for the weekend and I felt bad that she had to deal with a 3 year old toddler who is challenging everything we do.

DOH didn't read the whole thread :(
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Boudreaux wrote:
IceBear wrote:My son has taken to crying "Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!" when he doesn't want to be picked up. My wife had taken him to the bookstore and they had a Thomas trainset on a playtable which he was thoroughly enjoying. So, when it was time to leave, he of course didn't want to, and my wife was on the receiving end of many stares as she headed towards the door with Zack screaming "Ouch!" at the top of his lungs.
My 3-year-old went through a phase like this, except he would start screaming "HELP! HELP!" at the top of his lungs.

This is particularly not amusing in public.

My wife had him at the grocery store one afternoon, and he completely lost it at the checkout when she started pulling things out of the cart that HE wanted to put on the belt. Total meltdown, as only a toddler can do. She finished paying and had to haul him out of there while he was screaming "NO! NO! HELP! HEEEEELP!!". I'm amazed nobody stopped her.

This didn't happen to me, but this last weekend we were at one of Ethan's friends birthday party. I was talking with one of the moms about my adventure with potty training with Ethan. Particularly public restrooms... She shared that one time when she was at Disneyland with her family the father took his son to go potty. Her son is at the point that he doesn't want anyone to watch, so her dad turns around in the stall while he goes, and the son would tap when he was done. Well, I'm not sure what exactly happened, but on that occasion he touched his kid on the shoulder and all of a sudden in a public restroom that her son started talking very loudly, don't touch me daddy! Talk about embarrassing.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Amelia (2.9) loves going shopping and somehow she never fails to entertain while shopping with us.

Last month was our 8th wedding anniversary and I needed to find a card for my wife. Amelia was helping me browse the card aisle at the local supermarket. She happened to pick out a pink card with red hearts on it that reads: (Outside of card) I still remember the first thing that made me fall in love with you.... (Inside of card) ...The Great Sex. Next you notice a cutout of two rabbits having sex, with the cutout vibrating wildly and playing cheesy porn music. Amelia is in stitches every time that card opens and there is no way i'm going to get her to relinquish it w/o some tears. It'll be a nice gag card to give to mom. I had not counted on the fact that while standing in the checkout line (Amelia riding on my shoulders) she was going to show the card to anyone that passed by saying 'Daddy buying it for mommy." :oops:

This last weekend at the same grocery store Amelia is in the cart while we run though the self checkout. Another shopper gets in line behind us and Amelia starts chatting her up. Next thing I hear is "What's wrong with your eye?" mortified I look up and see the woman has a really bad lazy eye. The woman is a good sport and just chuckles while I try to play it off and tell the woman that Amelia will talk her ear off if she's not careful. After grilling the woman about what she has in her cart I hear "What's on your lip?" Oh Oh... I look up to notice that the woman has more of a mustache than I could grow in a week of trying... I try to save face by saying "It's lipstick, just like what Grandma will put on your lips." Luckily we were done checking out and could make a hasty retreat to the car w/o losing it ourselves.

Oh from the mouths of babes....
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

My parents took (at the time) our 4 year old daughter to a parade somewhere but they were having problems seeing it march by because of the big crowds. They moved around a bit and my Dad was trying to be helpful when he asked if she could see any better, and she yells out, "No, there's a BIG FAT LADY in front of me!" My parents were horrified but when they moved away they just started laughing. It really is true -- there's no filter. None.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Last Thursday:

Wife: "How was your day today?"
Daughter: "I didn't have a day. Someone just took my day and crunched it up. And then they put it in the bin. And then they just gave me another one."

Managed to salvage a few days' worth of posts:
Spoiler:
This is Google's cache of viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72738&start=320" target="_blank. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Aug 12, 2013 10:49:56 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more
Tip: To quickly find your search term on this page, press Ctrl+F or ⌘-F (Mac) and use the find bar.

Full version

Octopus Overlords

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons bring us some web forums whereupon we can gather

Skip to content

Help Support OO by buying through our affiliates: Amazon.com OO Link
For other methods please see this thread
Board index ‹ The other stuff ‹ Everything But Gaming
Change font size
OO Wiki
FAQ
[Gushing Parents] Tell me your cute kid stories

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

363 posts • Page 9 of 10 • 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Postby naednek » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:36 pm

picture is a thousand words?

Ethan reading a story to Lila, not necessarily the one from the book

naednek

Postby AWS260 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm

That's adorable.
Steam: [OO]AWS260; Xbox: Captain Harper
AWS260

Postby Crabbs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Nice pic Ken!
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Crabbs

Postby El Guapo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:20 pm

The other day my daughter pointed towards her belly and said, "There's a baby in there!" Oh, congratulations darling. Then she started cupping her hands around her knees and said, "I'm getting ready to catch it when it comes out, so that she doesn't bonk her head on the floor." That seems like a sensible birth precaution - I wonder why none of the doctors ever did that for my wife.
El Guapo

Postby KKBlue » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:07 am

Good stuff fellas! Thanks for the smiles!
Please no, we have carpets now.
KKBlue

Postby stessier » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:24 am

El Guapo wrote:The other day my daughter pointed towards her belly and said, "There's a baby in there!" Oh, congratulations darling. Then she started cupping her hands around her knees and said, "I'm getting ready to catch it when it comes out, so that she doesn't bonk her head on the floor." That seems like a sensible birth precaution - I wonder why none of the doctors ever did that for my wife.

Ugh, the other day my 7 year old was watching Dora and it was about having a baby. She then asked how the baby got out of the mommy's stomach. I said something along the line of you go to a hospital and it comes out, but she was having none of it.

"Now, I mean where does it come out? Through the belly button?" I panicked - "Go ask your mother."

Mom - "You go to the hospital and the Dr. uses some instruments and it comes out."
Kiddo - "Okay, got it."

Note to self - Teletubbies and Yo Gabba Gabba only from now until she moves out of the house...
Running 2011: 809.99 miles
Running 2012: 33.22
stessier

Postby PLW » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:38 pm

We don't candy-coat it.

4.9yo: "How does the baby come out"
Mom: "You push it out... like a poop, but through the other hole."
PLW

Postby stessier » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:44 pm

I'll remember that for next time. :D
stessier

Postby Skinypupy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:57 pm

PLW wrote:We don't candy-coat it.

:lol:
GO UTES!! m|_ _|m
Skinypupy

Postby Smoove_B » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:00 pm

stessier wrote:Mom - "You go to the hospital and the Dr. uses some instruments and it comes out."

I look forward to hearing the story about how you found your kid in the living room one day with a toy drum and trumpet on her stomach yelling, "IMA HAVIN A BABAH!"
Smoove_B

Postby stessier » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Smoove_B wrote:
stessier wrote:Mom - "You go to the hospital and the Dr. uses some instruments and it comes out."

I look forward to hearing the story about how you found your kid in the living room one day with a toy drum and trumpet on her stomach yelling, "IMA HAVIN A BABAH!"

If that ever happens, you can be sure they'll be video as well.
stessier

Postby LawBeefaroni » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Last Friday it was bath time. The wife was working on getting the kiddo out of the tub and I was tasked with finding some replacement placebo band-aids. The kiddo said, "Daddy, get some!" We're trying to get her to be more polite, so I asked, "What? How do you ask?" She yelled, "Get some! Get some!" So of course I thought of Full Metal jacket and shouted "Get some!!!" and did the M60 thing into the air and the kiddo started laughing and did the same thing, splashing water and shouting "Get some get some!. The wife was like, "WTF? Seriously?" and was all pissed and bath time came to a sudden end.

So fast forward to Saturday (I was still mildly in the doghouse for the bath thing the night before) and we were at a block party a few blocks from our place. We were in sitting out front yard of my friend's house having beers and grilling and my friend delegated the task of getting ice to some neighbor kids. They were lollygagging so he yelled (he's really loud), "Come on you wazoos, run to the store and GET SOME ICE!" And my daughter, who was writing in chalk in the middle of the street, suddenly stood up and put on her angry face and yelled, "GET SOME! GET SOME!" and did the M60 thing into the air. My friend and I fell over laughing. The wives and some of the neighbors were shocked. I had to spend 5 minutes explaining to them how she had not ever seen the movie, she just picked it up from me being a dumbass.
""The average cutting board has about 200% more fecal bacteria than the average toilet seat," Gerba says.
Kid|MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Postby PLW » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:19 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote: And my daughter, who was writing in chalk in the middle of the street, suddenly stood up and put on her angry face and yelled, "GET SOME! GET SOME!" and did the M60 thing into the air. My friend and I fell over laughing.

I love this story.
PLW

Postby Markstrink » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:40 pm

One time after being dropped off at the house my daughter pulled me aside to tell me she has "poop farts".
Markstrink

Postby YellowKing » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:39 pm

My daughter really loves that "Blurred Lines" song by Robin Thicke (good girl, you know you want it) with the -ahem- notorious video. She was begging me to show her the video this morning so I reluctantly pulled up the "clean' version.

We watch a little of it and she turns to me and says, "Daddy...those don't look like good girls." :D
YellowKing

Postby El Guapo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:02 pm

YellowKing wrote:
We watch a little of it and she turns to me and says, "Daddy...those don't look like good girls." :D

El Guapo

Postby stessier » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Just because she knows the difference between good and bad girls doesn't mean she's going to pick being good. :twisted:
stessier

Postby Zaxxon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:37 pm

This thread continues to deliver.
OONFL
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Postby Holman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:44 pm

PLW wrote:We don't candy-coat it.

"We are born between feces and urine."
- St. Bernard of Clairvaux
Holman

Postby Markstrink » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:21 pm

So these are not my kids and they really shouldn't be classified as kids but...

Work was very slow yesterday (I work on the water and it was chilly yesterday) so the waitresses decided to play a game called "fishbowl" it's a mash up of charades and a couple other games. Hey each right down six nouns and put the. In a cup and take turns as teams trying to guess the word.

For one round you pick a word from the cup and you have to get your team to guess the word by giving them clues.

Kaitlyn (20) draws nuclear bomb. Her first clue to her team. "Vietnam". Sigh.

Later in another game.

Riley (21) draws Russian lady. As her word. Her clue to her team. "A very cold northern country"

Ingrid (20) "ALASKA!"

These are all either kids going in to college or back to college. Sadly it's a mix of Michigan and Michigan state.
Markstrink

Postby YellowKing » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Daughter this morning (3):

YP: Daddy, Knock Knock!
Me: Who's there?
YP: Boo!
Me: Boo hoo?
YP: Boo hoo, don't cry, cause I'll be with you as you die.

:shock: WTF?
YellowKing

Postby KKBlue » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:42 pm

:lol: I blew out a snot on that one, ha!
KKBlue

Postby Markstrink » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:26 pm

That's awesome! Scary but awesome.
Markstrink

Postby Dcurse » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Some very funny and cute stories. Thanks for sharing.

I've got a pretty good one from last weekend. I have twin boys (2.7) and we where at a cook out with some of their play group friends. As soon as we show up at the cookout the boys go running across the yard towards the kiddie pool. One of their little buddies (2.5) is standing in the poll smiling at them and waving hello. As my boys get closer, their friend calmly says, "Don't worry, I'm not going to kill you." My two boys both reply with an "Ok" and climb into the pool to play. My wife and I and the other parents standing around all exchange glances and question did he just say what I think he said... After we all agreed we heard the same thing, we all laughed and agreed that at least he said "I'm not..."
Dcurse

Postby KKBlue » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:54 am

Dcurse wrote:... we all laughed and agreed that at least he said "I'm not..."

Yep, seems like that's how we have to roll now a days :)
Thanks for sharin'
KKBlue

Postby Dcurse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:08 am

Turns out it is a line from "A Bug's Life" and the little guy has been watching it non-stop for a week. So now it can just be funny without worrying if the little kid might snap one day. :lol:
Dcurse

Postby El Guapo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:51 am

We were talking with a woman in a wheelchair today when all of the sudden Mira volunteered: "I'm NOT handicapped!" The woman was like, uh, nope you're not. Nice and awkward.
El Guapo

Postby Mr Bubbles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:34 pm

So my step father has been trying to get my daughter to say aflac, every time I try to get my daughter to say Quack. Usually she just laughs and still says duck. This has been going on for the last few weeks. Fast forward to yesterday when we had dinner with the family at their place.

Me: Hunny what does the duck say?
Step father: Aflac
Daughter: Awww. fuck.

She is obviously trying to say Aflac, but can't do it, and to make it worse she starts cackling evilly as she is saying it. She must have said it more clearly each time she said it; I think I lost count after she said it 20 plus times. So obviously the step father realized what he did and promised not to say it anymore. But as we are on our way home.. we pass a gentleman who says hi to little one and she replies with aww fuck. He gives a weird look and walks away before I can tell him it's aflac she is trying to say. I'm pretty sure there is someone in this world who thinks I am a bad parent.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Mr Bubbles

Postby Arcanis » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:45 am

Had to share one from earlier tonight. I'm staying up with our 1 month old and Karleigh took my tablet to watch netflix on and went to bed with her mother. She decides she is done laying in bed with mommy and wants out of the bedroom. She calls me a couple of times but I'm trying to get the baby to sleep so I tell her she has to wait. She then decides to take a terrorist approach. She opens netflix on the tablet to the program i'm watching on the playstation and stops the show. She learned this trick a few days ago when she hit the wrong thing and started messing with my wife watching netflix and has decided to use it against me as well. :lol:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Arcanis

Postby LawBeefaroni » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Arcanis wrote:She learned this trick a few days ago when she hit the wrong thing and started messing with my wife watching netflix and has decided to use it against me as well. :lol:

She leveled and distributed her skill points! Congrats?

Driving home last week:
"Daddy, everybody's farts stink"
"They do, huh? Everyone's?"
"Yes, everyone."
"Superman's?"
"Um, no, Superman doesn't fart."
"He doesn't?"
"No."
"Ok, how about Tinkerbell? Do her farts stink?"
"No silly, she doesn't fart, she lights up her butt!"

I guess I missed that episode.
""The average cutting board has about 200% more fecal bacteria than the average toilet seat," Gerba says.
Kid|MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Postby YellowKing » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Friday night my daughter was throwing a huge temper tantrum because she didn't want to wear her PJs. She is screaming, throwing herself around, totally freaking out. My wife was trying to get my son to sleep and was at her wit's end. Finally I just grab my daughter, put her in the car, and start driving.

My thought was, "She's tired, she didn't have her nap today, she'll wind up falling asleep." No dice. She screams, cries, screams, cries. I keep driving. At this point it's a battle of wills, and I'm determined not to go home until she stops crying.

I find myself 30 minutes away at one of our local beaches. My daughter is still screaming. Suddenly, inspiration strikes. I pull into an overlook that is popular because you can park and look out over the ocean. I park the car, get my daughter out. It's dusk, with very few people around. The night is crystal clear and quiet. It's just me and her looking out over the Atlantic.

Her tears dry up as she takes it all in. I tell her, "The next time you get upset, I want you to think about this. The ocean, the waves, how beautiful and calm this is." She is delighted. She sits out on a rock and just watches the birds fly by. We take some pictures. Finally I tell her we have to get back home, mommy's waiting on us. She says, "Just let me look at the ocean a few more minutes, daddy." I can't say no to that so we just sit there together staring out over the water.

The ride back home is peaceful. She talks excitedly about the beach and everything she saw. We get home and I tuck her into bed, beaming at what a smart parent I am. I took a bad situation and turned it into a beautiful memory. She will forever remember this moment when she's about to get upset.

Cut to midnight. Daughter wakes up pitching a fit about having to wear PJs. She then proceeds to scream bloody murder for the next two hours.

The moral of this story: No matter how clever a parent you think you are, a 3 year old is still a 3 year old. :grund:
YellowKing

Postby Mr Bubbles » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Ahhh the things we have to look forward to. My daughter is just a month under two years old and she definitely has the indomitable will thing down. I don't expect it to die down until her teens are over.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Mr Bubbles

Postby Smoove_B » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:43 pm

YellowKing wrote:Cut to midnight. Daughter wakes up pitching a fit about having to wear PJs. She then proceeds to scream bloody murder for the next two hours.

Well yeah -- last time she pitched a fit, she managed to get a trip to the beach. :)
Smoove_B

Postby silverjon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Can't you just let her sleep in the buff?

I have no idea if this is one of those things where the kid is just wanting to exercise some control in her own tiny way, or if she's got a reason for objecting to her PJs. I had a friend in university who'd get night terrors if she wore anything to bed, I kid you not.

I know it can be hard to get a straight answer out of a 3yo. Just throwing it out there.
wot?

Being able to speak freely is the lifeblood of love. - Hana, Tokyo Godfathers
silverjon

Postby YellowKing » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:52 pm

We can't let her sleep completely naked because she wets the bed. Plus every time we've let her go to bed without PJs on she wakes up freezing to death and that causes a different tantrum.

It's a phase thing - she went through a few months last winter where she refused to wear socks. Currently we've reached a compromise, letting her wear a nightshirt with no pants.

Well yeah -- last time she pitched a fit, she managed to get a trip to the beach.

A fact my wife was very quick to point out. :D No good deed goes unpunished...
YellowKing

Postby Vorret » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:52 pm

silverjon wrote:Can't you just let her sleep in the buff?

I have no idea if this is one of those things where the kid is just wanting to exercise some control in her own tiny way, or if she's got a reason for objecting to her PJs. I had a friend in university who'd get night terrors if she wore anything to bed, I kid you not.

I know it can be hard to get a straight answer out of a 3yo. Just throwing it out there.

Night terrors.
I hope you didn't miss out on that "tell".

Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Vorret

Postby Skinypupy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Little B: Dad, did you know I really love mommy.
Me: That's great. How much do you love her?
Little B: (spreads her arms out as wide as possible) This much! As much as the whole world!
Me: Wow, you sure do love her. What about me?
Little B: (again with the arms as wide as possible) I love you this much too!
Me: Awesome. What about the Wonder Twins?
Little B: (thinks for a moment, puts her fingers about an inch apart) This much. But if they stop crying all the time, they might get to this much (adds another inch).

Needless to say, sibling acceptance is a ways off yet.
GO UTES!! m|_ _|m
Skinypupy

Postby silverjon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Vorret wrote:Night terrors.
I hope you didn't miss out on that "tell".

Your post confuses me. My friend was married. I also knew her husband, who confirmed that if his wife tried to wear pajamas, they'd both end up having to deal with her waking up screaming. So she didn't wear pajamas. Seems sensible, no?
wot?

Being able to speak freely is the lifeblood of love. - Hana, Tokyo Godfathers
silverjon

Postby PLW » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Last night at dinner, unprompted, 2.4yo says "Mama, I love you so much." Awww. This morning, at snack, with the exact same tone, "Daddy, I love Triscuits so much." Kinda takes the shine off it, a bit.
PLW

Postby naednek » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:49 pm

YellowKing wrote:We can't let her sleep completely naked because she wets the bed.

YellowKing wrote:It's a phase thing - she went through a few months last winter where she refused to wear socks. Currently we've reached a compromise, letting her wear a nightshirt with no pants.

ummm. Did you forget that when she doesn't wear her bottoms she wets the bed? :P
naednek

PreviousNext
363 posts • Page 9 of 10 • 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Return to Everything But Gaming

Jump to: Select a forum ------------------ Gaming Gaming in General PC Games Console & Mobile Games Forum Games The other stuff Everything But Gaming Religion & Politics General Computing Trade Forum The Bargain Bin Community The Overlords Meta Forum