No
12%
Not sure
12%

Total votes: 110

LordMortis

Re: will marijuana ever be legal???

Post by LordMortis »

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent articles on old people smoking dope.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/fashi ... d=all&_r=0" target="_blank

Old people vote.

And again it drives me nuts at how our congress works. We get the biggest douchebag fight for the war on Drugs since Reagan in the whitehouse, so now it's time to consider legalization. I swear to Pancake, all Obama needs to do to get anything done is fight against it. Even though it's the right thing, our Congress makes no sense to me. I want to cheer them, but it's not about what's right. It's politics as usual that just happens to be moving it the right direction because the wind is blowing that way.

... So it would appear the being born in the 50s is the beginning of the popular progressive. "Generation Landslide would close the gap between 'em" I wonder what all will change next. Gay marriage, legalize pot. Who knows maybe one day, I might even actually give a bit of credit to the politicians... Of course, that will depend on their getting their/our budgets in line, though.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Thumbs up LM for the gratuitous Alice Cooper reference. Great tune by the way.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rip

Post by Rip »

A synthetic cannabinoid -- similar to the compounds found in marijuana, but substantially stronger -- causes the growth of new neurons and reduces anxiety and depression, investigators at the University of Saskatchewan here reported.

And researchers at the University of Calgary said they've found evidence that the brain contains so-called CB2 cannabinoid receptors, previously seen in immune tissue but thought not to exist in brain tissue. The discovery, they added, could lead to new drugs to treat nausea associated with cancer or AIDS.

Most so-called drugs of abuse -- such as alcohol or cocaine -- inhibit the growth of new neurons, according to Xia Zhang, M.D., Ph.D., of the University of Saskatchewan.

"Only marijuana promotes neurogenesis," Dr. Zhang said.
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/ ... psyc&hr=ob

:think:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Michigan's conservative state congress finally came to the realization high school kids have been talking about for decades. If they legalize marijuana they can tax the hell out of it. They're getting ready to attempt pushing legalization through with a road tax on it of all things.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

For everyone that believes in strong central government, here's one of the downsides. Anger (This American Life podcast)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
redman55

Post by redman55 »

Michigan's conservative state congress finally came to the realization high school kids have been talking about for decades. If they legalize marijuana they can tax the hell out of it. They're getting ready to attempt pushing legalization through with a road tax on it of all things.
Is this true? I live in Jackson county and I think the usage here alone should be enough to take care of the roads for, I don't know, a couple of centuries. Geez after they shut down the prison, I didn't ever think we would be relevent again.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

On Colorado's ballot this November is a measure to approve an excise tax on retail non-medical marijuana sales. Opponents of the tax are arguing that it's going to be too high and will just drive people back to the black market. I wouldn't really know, I've never touched the stuff and never will, but if you can afford to regularly shop for recreational marijuana, wouldn't you spend an extra couple bucks to ensure that you are getting the right quality or whatever?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: if you can afford to regularly shop for recreational marijuana, wouldn't you spend an extra couple bucks to ensure that you are getting the right quality or whatever?
Like anything else, it would depend on if the new competitor is better, cheaper, more convenient, or more reliable than the product you're already buying. I'd expect the above-board retailers to win on convenience...and I'd expect the producers to lower their prices to stay competitive and accommodate the tax. Production costs should be dirt cheap.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote:
gilraen wrote: if you can afford to regularly shop for recreational marijuana, wouldn't you spend an extra couple bucks to ensure that you are getting the right quality or whatever?
Like anything else, it would depend on if the new competitor is better, cheaper, more convenient, or more reliable than the product you're already buying. I'd expect the above-board retailers to win on convenience...and I'd expect the producers to lower their prices to stay competitive and accommodate the tax. Production costs should be dirt cheap.
Well, maybe a little fertilizer.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

redman55 wrote:
Is this true? I live in Jackson county and I think the usage here alone should be enough to take care of the roads for, I don't know, a couple of centuries. Geez after they shut down the prison, I didn't ever think we would be relevent again.
Nothing new in a month but this was the premise for the story I heard on the radio

http://michiganradio.org/post/pot-potho ... -pay-roads" target="_blank
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Support for legalization hits a record high (see what I did there?)
The poll, which was conducted Oct. 3-6, reports that 58 percent of the public support the legalization of marijuana, while 39 percent oppose it.

The tide of public opinion appears to be rapidly turning in favor of legalization. In November 2012, Gallup found that 48 percent of Americans favored marijuana legalization compared to 50 percent who did not. Just over a decade earlier, in 2001, only 31 percent supported legalization while 64 percent opposed it.

The issue remains a fairly partisan one: 65 percent of Democrats support legalizing marijuana, compared to 35 percent of Republicans. Meanwhile, 62 percent of independents say they are pro-legalization, up from 50 percent last year.

Every age group Gallup tested was in favor of marijuana legalization except for those 65 and older. Fifty-three percent of respondents in that group said they were against legalization, while 45 percent were in support.
Oh Republicans, you're on the wrong side of history yet again.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Kraken wrote:...
Oh Republicans, you're on the wrong side of history yet again.
C'mon now, they're conservatives...It's their job! :P
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Cha-ching! Other states will certainly covet the flood of new tax dollars being eagerly ponied up. The drug tourism aspect will gradually get diluted every time another state legalizes, but there will always be states with prohibition to export those dollars.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I forgot to link to it and am too lazy to go back and find the other article, but it appears the shortage is intentional. The commission charged with setting up the marketplace wanted there to be a shortage so growers didn't start illegally exporting to surrounding states. They figured if that happened, the Feds would not look on it too kindly. So they require sellers to grow 70% of what they sell and buy 30% of it. That sets a high bar of entry but also has everyone guessing on what the actual demand will be and how to meet it. The article said everyone thinks it'll take about half a year for the demand to stabilize and the supply to be more reliable.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:Cha-ching! Other states will certainly covet the flood of new tax dollars being eagerly ponied up. The drug tourism aspect will gradually get diluted every time another state legalizes, but there will always be states with prohibition to export those dollars.
While it will be cha ching, there's no surprise in having no product with 37 (37? Try not to suck any dick on the way out to the parking lot. Over 20 years later and I still can't hear 37 without suffixing that tirade onto the end of it) stores are supplying all of Colorado and everyone wants to say they bought pot when it became legal.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote:
Kraken wrote:Cha-ching! Other states will certainly covet the flood of new tax dollars being eagerly ponied up. The drug tourism aspect will gradually get diluted every time another state legalizes, but there will always be states with prohibition to export those dollars.
While it will be cha ching, there's no surprise in having no product with 37 (37? Try not to suck any dick on the way out to the parking lot. Over 20 years later and I still can't hear 37 without suffixing that tirade onto the end of it) stores are supplying all of Colorado and everyone wants to say they bought pot when it became legal.
I think I know where all the pot went.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Alefroth wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
I think I know where all the pot went.
I knew it, he is a friggin Bogart.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$5 million+ in 8 days.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
The owner of one store said she expects to make as much in sales in the first 10 days of January as she did all of last year selling medical marijuana — a welcome burst of business that has come with long days and little rest.
Take that, sick people!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I need to hang this on my door.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Washington state is dragging their heels on this.
Wikipedia wrote:I-502 mandates that rules for producers, processors and retailers be in place by December 1, 2013. The WSLCB had initially anticipated the first proposed section would be approved in April. Since then they are planning distribution of draft rules to all stakeholders in May, with initial filing of all rules in June, before public hearings and adoption of the rules, to begin taking initial applications by September, and to begin issuing licenses in December, 2013. Some state legislators are reportedly moving to "slow down" this rule-making process and national opponents Kevin Sabet and Patrick J. Kennedy have started Project SAM to promote what they call "smart approaches to marijuana."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's what NJ was doing for medical marijuana. I think after stalling, they had no choice but to finally let a single vendor open shop...and not surprisingly, they were completely overrun on the first day and unable to keep up with demand. More permits to open were released, but it really has been a slow ridiculous process. Maybe if the governor was focusing on that instead of closing bridges we'd be in better shape. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

Smoove_B wrote:$5 million+ in 8 days.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
The owner of one store said she expects to make as much in sales in the first 10 days of January as she did all of last year selling medical marijuana — a welcome burst of business that has come with long days and little rest.
Take that, sick people!

I really have no vested interest in this either way but damn that's a lot of money being made. Not to mention freeing up local services, like police and courts, to concentrate elsewhere.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Obama takes a stand
On the two states that have legalized pot, Obama said “it’s important for it to go forward because it’s important for society not to have a situation in which a large portion of people have at one time or another broken the law and only a select few get punished.”
...which is not the same as saying that he'll do something about it, but it's a start.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Washington and Colorado both pass laws making recreational marijuana use legal and now they both have teams in the Super Bowl.

Coincidence?

Yeah, probably... but I'm sure there will be lots of super "bowl" parties on the 2nd.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Brian wrote:Washington and Colorado both pass laws making recreational marijuana use legal and now they both have teams in the Super Bowl.

Coincidence?

Yeah, probably...
LOL

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ ... s-22588081

I'm thinking we're one step closer.
The proposal outlines plans to spend some $99 million next fiscal year on substance abuse prevention, youth marijuana use prevention and other priorities. The money would come from a statewide 10 percent sales tax on recreational pot, indicating Colorado's total sales next fiscal year will be near $1 billion.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ ... s-22588081

I'm thinking we're one step closer.
The proposal outlines plans to spend some $99 million next fiscal year on substance abuse prevention, youth marijuana use prevention and other priorities. The money would come from a statewide 10 percent sales tax on recreational pot, indicating Colorado's total sales next fiscal year will be near $1 billion.
$750M of that $1B would have disappeared into the black market economy, if legalization increased consumption by 25% (which is probably an overblown guess).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And it's good for the Girl Scouts:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Gi ... 52511.html

Danielle was able to sell 117 boxes within two hours outside the cannabis clinic
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

My daughter's troop sold about that many in two hours last Saturday outside an Albertson's.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Just imagine how well they could do selling pot laced cookies. :ninja:
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Rip wrote:Just imagine how well they could do selling pot laced cookies. :ninja:
Im not sure they need to, those damned Samoas are like coconut laced crack to me!

Oh and regarding the sales of GS cookies outside dispensaries, thats just good business, one of the first rules is "Know your clientele" GS cookies outside a pot dispensary? Thats like shooting fish in a barrel!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rip

Post by Rip »

rshetts2 wrote:
Rip wrote:Just imagine how well they could do selling pot laced cookies. :ninja:
Im not sure they need to, those damned Samoas are like coconut laced crack to me!

Oh and regarding the sales of GS cookies outside dispensaries, thats just good business, one of the first rules is "Know your clientele" GS cookies outside a pot dispensary? Thats like shooting fish in a barrel!
Selling grub to stoners in a barrel.
pengo

Post by pengo »

Could legalising the sale of mj help detroit etc?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pengo wrote:Could legalising the sale of mj help detroit etc?
I don't know about Detroit specifically, but there is a movement to legalize pot in Michigan to fix the roads. After this winter and Snyder's response to the condition of our roads and wanting to raise gas taxes while still allowing overly taxing axle weights, giving overly generous corporate tax breaks, continuing a policy of a least cost road building/repair collusion, I imagine the proposal will gain traction.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I may just feint. Congress is doing something to take power away from executive branch and more importantly to one of the parts of the executive branch that thrives by expanding power over different administrations.

Go ahead DoJ. You want to be out of control? Try doing it with no payroll or toys.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote:I may just feint.
Can someone do something with this? I tried, but nothing good came up. I am sad.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote:
Can someone do something with this? I tried, but nothing good came up. I am sad.
Can't come up with a clever riposte? Fencing jokes not your forte?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

Well done. Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

Touche' Image
:clap: