[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Freezer-TPF-

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Pyperkub wrote:Saw that The Shining was just $1.99 courtesy of qt3
Bought. Thanks!
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A lot of Star Wars comic books and Graphic novels are on sale in the Kindle Store.

Anyone have recommendations on which ones are worth getting (especially any self-contained series)?

(fixed)
Last edited by Defiant on Sun May 04, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Defiant wrote:A lot of Star Trek comic books and Graphic novels are on sale in the Kindle Store.

Anyone have recommendations on which ones are worth getting (especially any self-contained series)?
Star Trek, Star Wars they're pretty much the same...
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Z-Corn wrote:
Defiant wrote:A lot of Star Trek comic books and Graphic novels are on sale in the Kindle Store.

Star Trek, Star Wars they're pretty much the same...
:oops:
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Well, it is Star Wars day... And there's Star Wars sale on GameFly and Steam.

Back to eBooks... I was reading vN and it's a pretty interesting sci-fi tale. Imagine full autonomous androids called vN's (Von Neumann machines) that can self-reproduce by consuming raw materials (albeit in form of human food). And they have full AI and even emotions. And they have failsafes similar to the Asimov's 3 laws. Amy was one such vN, her mother, Charlotte has a human partner, and a past that she rather not talk about. Young Amy was kept hungry so she won't grow too fast, until at her "graduation" from kindergarten, her "grandmother" came for Charlotte, and they started fighting. When a human kid interfered, the grandmother casually tossed him aside... except this was deliberate murder. He flew 20 ft, hit the ground headfirst, and died right there... something that was supposed to be impossible... failsafe had failed. Amy instinctively charged grandma... and... ate her. LITERALLY.

When Amy woke up, she's in a cage, her body's much larger, all of her model (and her mother's) are being detained. And thus started her strange adventure of self-discovery... and she discovered a hitchhiker. Her "grandma" (that she ate) is now a voice in her head... and may even take possession of her at times...

It's a pretty weird world, but fascinating.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seven of the Dresden File books are on sale today for $1.99, each.
EDIT -- I blame coffee.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sat May 17, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Each. $1.99 each.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that would have been quite the deal. I apologize to my high school English teacher.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:Seven of the Dresden File books are on sale today for $1.99, each.
EDIT -- I blame coffee.
those are usually about $10 each, which is why I haven't even tried them. Thanks!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Purchased, thanks! I also got the audio version of book 1 to try out (read by James Marsters).
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I bought book one. How convinced should I be that I should buy more now?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Zaxxon wrote:I bought book one. How convinced should I be that I should buy more now?
I'm in the same boat and have the same question...
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

They're great popcorn fluff books. I'd say the closest thing in book form to Buffy if that helps.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Purchased, thanks! I also got the audio version of book 1 to try out (read by James Marsters).
James Marsters, you say? Buffy, you say? And my library has 10 of the audiobooks available? Hmmmmmmm....
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Chaz wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:Purchased, thanks! I also got the audio version of book 1 to try out (read by James Marsters).
James Marsters, you say? Buffy, you say? And my library has 10 of the audiobooks available? Hmmmmmmm....
Hopefully he's not the Annoying One...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jag

Post by Jag »

Now it can be told. Story of WWI. Haven't read it yet, but supposed to be very good.

Price: FREE
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jag wrote:Now it can be told. Story of WWI. Haven't read it yet, but supposed to be very good.

From the Amazon reviews:
I recommend this book for anyone who can read.
Dammit! :x
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote:
Jag wrote:Now it can be told. Story of WWI. Haven't read it yet, but supposed to be very good.

From the Amazon reviews:
Crazy, I was just about to post that!

I will pretty much "buy"/read anything that has that line in one of its reviews.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

From the Amazon reviews:

I will pretty much "buy"/read anything that has that line in one of its reviews.
Right, but where does that leave me as someone who can't read? It's kind of been my secret - I'm really just pounding keys and hoping that they all come together to mean something.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

From the Amazon reviews:

Right, but where does that leave me as someone who can't read? It's kind of been my secret - I'm really just pounding keys and hoping that they all come together to mean something.
As a non-reader, I think the assumption is that you should not read this book.

To clarify:
Do you read?
If 'yes', then read it.
If 'no', then do not read it.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Also free. The audiobook Go the F--k to Sleep. Narrated by Samuel L. Jackson :D
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I just finished listening to the most recent episode of Hardcore History, which is part 3 of his WWI series, and this book was mentioned. Boughten!
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Jag

Post by Jag »

Chaz wrote:

I just finished listening to the most recent episode of Hardcore History, which is part 3 of his WWI series, and this book was mentioned. Boughten!
That's funny. I've listened to almost every episode of Hardcore History, but haven't finished the latest one yet.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I only really started listening on the WWI shows. I want to go back and listen to the Death Throes of the Republic episodes, but I haven't gotten around to ponying up for them yet.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Chaz wrote:I only really started listening on the WWI shows. I want to go back and listen to the Death Throes of the Republic episodes, but I haven't gotten around to ponying up for them yet.
I got them when they were still free but well worth paying for it. I ended up watching Rome, playing Rome and reading about Rome at the same time :D

Also highly recommend Ghosts of the Ostfront. Absolutely chilling. You won't be able to stop listening. I thought I knew about WWII. I knew nothing about what went on with the Eastern Front.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere is up for $2.99 today. For those that have purchased as a print novel already, Amazon Matchbook price is then $1.99 -- which is the first time I've seen that.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: $288 worth of awesome comic books (Multi-Format = kindle\ipad, etc) ... pay what you want .. DRM FREE

plus ... they are giving away a free comic every day of the offer (changes at 11 am PST)

you'll prolly miss out on Image (PDF)
Ain't nobody got time for that
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

No idea how I will read those, but I bought it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There's a link on Lifehacker about Microsoft giving away 108 tech books.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kasey Chang wrote:There's a link on Lifehacker about Microsoft giving away 108 tech books.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"Test pages for Kindle Unlimited, a service offering access to 600K+ e-books and thousands of audiobooks for $9.99/month, were recently spotted on Amazon's (AMZN +0.4%) site."

Interesting! A little high, price-wise, considering my reading speed, but no doubt I would read a LOT more than I do now, just to justify my monthly cost. Also, would not be interested until my backlog is completely wiped out, which, while not as bad as my Steam backlog, is nothing to sneeze at.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I would definitely be potentially interested, depending on catalog. I go through a lot of audiobooks. I use my library's overdrive a lot, but I keep finding these gaping holes in it, because my tastes run more toward horror and sci-fi rather than romance novels (the library's collection of romance ebooks is truly epic). If Amazon's catalog is comprehensive enough, I could be in.

If they offer a discounted rate for having Prime, I'm even more in.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Chaz wrote:If they offer a discounted rate for having Prime, I'm even more in.
Better still, just add it to Prime for no extra $$ like they did for movies and music! Woot!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Better still, just add it to Prime for no extra $$ like they did for movies and music! Woot!
You already can. There's a pool of 500,000+ books you can borrow from each calendar month as a Prime member at no cost - a single book. You don't have to return it to Amazon until you finish it, but you can't borrow another one until you do. I believe that this $9.99 monthly fee would let you borrow as many as you'd like.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

And add audiobooks, which you can't do now.

If it happens and there's a benefit for having Prime, I'll finally need to get my wife to let me switch my account to be the primary Prime one. Right now, it's hers, so my Kindle isn't doing me as much good as it should be.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Chaz wrote:the library's collection of romance ebooks is truly epic
Romance books are often discounted to ZERO as promo on that FreeKindleBooks website.

http://ohfb.com/index.html
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
You already can. There's a pool of 500,000+ books you can borrow from each calendar month as a Prime member at no cost - a single book. You don't have to return it to Amazon until you finish it, but you can't borrow another one until you do. I believe that this $9.99 monthly fee would let you borrow as many as you'd like.
If I'm not mistaken, that's only available for Kindle devices (not even the apps, which is what I use)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote:If I'm not mistaken, that's only available for Kindle devices (not even the apps, which is what I use)
Oh, I didn't realize I was talking to a peasant. Out of my thread!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Looks like it's gone live. $10/month, no discount or inclusion for Prime accounts.

I took a look through the catalog in search of books off these two "50 best horror" and "50 best sci-fi" lists I've got bookmarked. I think one of them was available through the unlimited thing. So yeah, this is probably going to be mostly useful for people who are interested in more mainstream stuff. I might try it out at some point later, when my reading backlog is a little smaller.