THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Dungeon World Campaign #2

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Zenn7

Re: Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by Zenn7 »

<should have quoted IB to help with clarity - redid post>
Last edited by Zenn7 on Fri May 20, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:Dar quickly alerts the others to the situation (table/statue sinking, ceiling come down) and steps on the raised stone (might help us, might get us killed...).
Stepping on the raised stone doesn't seem to do anything, though you do notice that it seems like it can shift side to side and up and down. Maybe it's some sort of combination lock?
This stone thing is far outside Dar's realm of expertise. "Everybody - come here, this stone seems to be moveable. Perhaps it's some sort of puzzle we need to figure out?"
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rurgosh will come over and examine the stone. He will be trying to figure how the thing moves.

Here goes nothing: Discern realities on the stone.
Discern Realities on Stone pressure plate thingy: 2D6 + 2 = [4, 2]+2 = 8
What here is useful to me?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I realize that the rest of them are in more danger but did I miss a reply?

Ere is looking around to see what's what in his situation.

Natural cave (the moss suggests this) or created space?
How high is the ceiling / trap door (clearly not too high since it didn't hurt much but also probably not low as the trap makers aren't stupid)?
The light is dim clearly but how big is the space roughly? Figuring that his fall already made a fair amount of noise Ere will call out once and try to judge the space that way if he really can't see much.

Otherwise he's moving over towards the moss somewhat cautiously.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:I realize that the rest of them are in more danger but did I miss a reply?

Ere is looking around to see what's what in his situation.

Natural cave (the moss suggests this) or created space?
How high is the ceiling / trap door (clearly not too high since it didn't hurt much but also probably not low as the trap makers aren't stupid)?
The light is dim clearly but how big is the space roughly? Figuring that his fall already made a fair amount of noise Ere will call out once and try to judge the space that way if he really can't see much.

Otherwise he's moving over towards the moss somewhat cautiously.
I must have missed yours...sorry.

This is a natural cavern about 20ft high, but the chute came out of one of the walls only 3ft off the ground. You'd say that the chamber is roughly 50ft high and across from you is an opening about 15ft high...from which you can see a pair of red eyes gleaming at you.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:Rurgosh will come over and examine the stone. He will be trying to figure how the thing moves.

You look at Omar whom you know is trained in opening locks and yell at him to take a look. You do notice that the bottom and left edges look a little more worn than normal which will give him a +1 on his Tricks of the Trade move.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:Rurgosh will come over and examine the stone. He will be trying to figure how the thing moves.

You look at Omar whom you know is trained in opening locks and yell at him to take a look. You do notice that the bottom and left edges look a little more worn than normal which will give him a +1 on his Tricks of the Trade move.
Omar moves a little closer to the stone mechanism and starts his inspection.

2D6+2+1 = [2, 6]+2+1 = 11

Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
What does the trap do when activated?
What else is hidden here?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote: This is a natural cavern about 20ft high, but the chute came out of one of the walls only 3ft off the ground. You'd say that the chamber is roughly 50ft high and across from you is an opening about 15ft high...from which you can see a pair of red eyes gleaming at you.
"Alright then. You must be the garbage disposal," thinks Ere while he sidesteps onto a more solid bit of the floor. Slowly and carefully he moves his battle ax to his off hand and pulls out the franseca. With a shout he hurls it at the eye and closes with the creature.

I'll presume that is a volley move so
Ere throws at the eyes: 2D6+1 = [5, 3]+1 = 9

I'll chose you have to take what you can get: -1d6 damage

Damage (+2 peircing and + stun due to being an ax): 1D10-1D6 = [9]-[1] = 8
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Moliere wrote:
IceBear wrote:

Omar moves a little closer to the stone mechanism and starts his inspection.

2D6+2+1 = [2, 6]+2+1 = 11

Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
What does the trap do when activated?
What else is hidden here?
I assume that you were using Tricks of the Trade and not Trap Expert.

Using your training and burglar fingers (coupled with the knowledge from the dwarf) you manage to manipulate the stone in a pattern that results in the ceiling stopping and going back up. The statue and table rise back up and the little stone that you were manipulating snaps back down....you hear a click from the trapdoor as well
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

:?
Madmarcus wrote:
IceBear wrote: This is a natural cavern about 20ft high, but the chute came out of one of the walls only 3ft off the ground. You'd say that the chamber is roughly 50ft high and across from you is an opening about 15ft high...from which you can see a pair of red eyes gleaming at you.
"Alright then. You must be the garbage disposal," thinks Ere while he sidesteps onto a more solid bit of the floor. Slowly and carefully he moves his battle ax to his off hand and pulls out the franseca. With a shout he hurls it at the eye and closes with the creature.

I'll presume that is a volley move so
Ere throws at the eyes: 2D6+1 = [5, 3]+1 = 9

I'll chose you have to take what you can get: -1d6 damage

Damage (+2 peircing and + stun due to being an ax): 1D10-1D6 = [9]-[1] = 8
There's a roar from the darkness and one of the red eyes disappears. Stumbling out of the cavern is something that, in an alternate universe, you would call a rancor with 4 arms
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Ere circles towards the blinded side of the creature while taking a two handed grip on his ax. His attack is quick; clearly meant to strike before the creature can fully recover from the initial volley.

Striking the rancor-like thing: 2D6+2 = [1, 3]+2 = 6

I guess it wasn't stunned!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

With the click from the trap door - is it now open? If not, Dar will look around what made the clicking noise, see if anything has changed from his first examination, trying to push the door open again (keeping most of my weight off the door so I don't fall in).
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Ere circles towards the blinded side of the creature while taking a two handed grip on his ax. His attack is quick; clearly meant to strike before the creature can fully recover from the initial volley.

Yeah with that roll I guess it wasn't stunned that badly.

As you rush towards it, it snatches you up in one of its claws and starts moving you towards its gaping maw
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:With the click from the trap door - is it now open? If not, Dar will look around what made the clicking noise, see if anything has changed from his first examination, trying to push the door open again (keeping most of my weight off the door so I don't fall in).
It's not open but it's not locked anymore
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Open the trapdoor (not by standing on it). Put pressure on it, push it, whatever until it opens.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:
Madmarcus wrote:Ere circles towards the blinded side of the creature while taking a two handed grip on his ax. His attack is quick; clearly meant to strike before the creature can fully recover from the initial volley.

As you rush towards it, it snatches you up in one of its claws and starts moving you towards its gaping maw
The maw is big but it doesn't look big enough to swallow Ere whole so he's going to stay on the offensive figuring that smashing it in the face with an ax is a good way to stop it.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Zenn7 wrote:Open the trapdoor (not by standing on it). Put pressure on it, push it, whatever until it opens.
Kneeling down on the floor and pushing on the trap door with Dar, Zordan will call down the trap door once it is open. "Uh, Human, are you down there? Do you need assistance? We have a rope?"

Does Zordan here any of the fight?

Discern realities:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:
IceBear wrote:

The maw is big but it doesn't look big enough to swallow Ere whole so he's going to stay on the offensive figuring that smashing it in the face with an ax is a good way to stop it.
As the creature pulls you towards its mouth, you lash out in a series of strikes with your axe. Please roll Hack and Slash.

Just as this is happening, the group above push down on the edge of the chute and it opens so they can hear the battle below. However, they do notice the little peg of stone has popped back up which would seem to indicate that the cycle of the trap door closing/locking and the ceiling coming down might be about to start again.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rurgosh hands one end of his rope (Adventure gear 1 use?) to the Dragon Mage.

"Do not let go of this thing. Tie it off to the pillar if you have to. Omar, work the catch on the trap so it doesn't get started again. Dar, follow me down. It sounds like Ere could use some support."

With that Rurgosh begins to rappel down the tube using the rope to steady himself. Given the number of times he has done this in ice tubes Rurgosh feels relatively secure in thinking he can make the bottom on his feet.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Your axe bites deep into it's lips and it roars in pain, dropping you in its daze.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:Rurgosh hands one end of his rope (Adventure gear 1 use?) to the Dragon Mage.

"Do not let go of this thing. Tie it off to the pillar if you have to. Omar, work the catch on the trap so it doesn't get started again. Dar, follow me down. It sounds like Ere could use some support."

With that Rurgosh begins to rappel down the tube using the rope to steady himself. Given the number of times he has done this in ice tubes Rurgosh feels relatively secure in thinking he can make the bottom on his feet.
I don't see Adventuring Gear on your sheet, but I'll assume I forgot to update it at some point. You hand the 50ft length of rope to Zordan and scale down the chute.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:
Remus West wrote:Rurgosh hands one end of his rope (Adventure gear 1 use?) to the Dragon Mage.

I don't see Adventuring Gear on your sheet, but I'll assume I forgot to update it at some point. You hand the 50ft length of rope to Zordan and scale down the chute.
I thought we started with it as part of our basic set up. :oops:
If not then I don't have my own so I'll grab one end of Zordan's since he mentioned having some.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:
IceBear wrote:

I thought we started with it as part of our basic set up. :oops:
If not then I don't have my own so I'll grab one end of Zordan's since he mentioned having some.
It's ok. Since you assumed that you had some, you probably would have picked some up when you had the chance if you had realized and you have tons of weight left for carrying stuff (that and I already added it to your sheet and I'm too busy/lazy to change it now :P )
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote: Your axe bites deep into it's lips and it roars in pain, dropping you in its daze.
Quickly Ere regains his footing. Pressing the attack he circles towards its blinded side and cuts low at the creatures legs. Another fighter watching the actions would recognize that he's using a much more attacking version of his normal style; flowing, figure eights that depend on speed to keep up the the tempo and keep the opponent from fighting back.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

BTW, I expect that's another hack and slash move but I figured I'd let you tell me to roll so that you could control the pacing of when Rurgosh shows up.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, it is - another Hack and Slash. Starting to see how powerful stun is in one on one combat because as long as you don't roll a 6-, it's stunlocked.

Edit: Oh, nm, I forgot that when you do stun damage you don't actually hurt it. "Stun: When you attack with it, it does stun damage instead of normal damage." So technically, it's unharmed, but once the other party members show up it should be dead.
Stun Damage
Stun damage is non-lethal damage. A PC who takes stun damage is defying danger to do anything at all, the danger being “you’re stunned.” This lasts as long as makes sense in the fiction—you’re stunned until you can get a chance to clear your head or fix whatever stunned you. A GM character that takes stun damage doesn’t count it against their HP but will act accordingly, staggering around for a few seconds, fumbling blindly, etc.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:Yeah, it is - another Hack and Slash. Starting to see how powerful stun is in one on one combat because as long as you don't roll a 6-, it's stunlocked.

Edit: Oh, nm, I forgot that when you do stun damage you don't actually hurt it. "Stun: When you attack with it, it does stun damage instead of normal damage." So technically, it's unharmed, but once the other party members show up it should be dead.
Stun Damage
Stun damage is non-lethal damage. A PC who takes stun damage is defying danger to do anything at all, the danger being “you’re stunned.” This lasts as long as makes sense in the fiction—you’re stunned until you can get a chance to clear your head or fix whatever stunned you. A GM character that takes stun damage doesn’t count it against their HP but will act accordingly, staggering around for a few seconds, fumbling blindly, etc.
I've read that section a couple of different times and I'm still not sure what to make of it.I can see two different options.

1. Its +stun with emphasis on the +. As with +messy and +forceful its a modifier that just add to the narrative about the attack. In this case it doesn't do any more damage but it adds an effect

2. Its an optional move to replace normal damage with stun damage. This doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the moves but is perhaps it mitigates some of the ability to stun lock.

The more I read the rules that more I think its option 1 which makes it a really cool narrative move for wading through crowds (each blow can put someone out of the fight for a while but with an ability to re-enter on a GM move) but is very strong in one on one fights since it tends to cut out the "monster gets an attack" on the 7-9. It might be even fall under the "can't fight back effectively" and allow me to not roll on a followup (straight to damage) but that seems insane.

I've got a meeting; I'll roll when I get back.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Blow to the legs: 2D6+2 = [2, 6]+2 = 10

damage: 1D10+1 = [1]+1 = 2

The first blow barely cuts the skin but Ere following it up with a kick to the injured leg (mechanically - I'm using the racial move of rerolling damage)

reroll the damage: 1D10+1 = [4]+1 = 5
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Blow to the legs: 2D6+2 = [2, 6]+2 = 10

damage: 1D10+1 = [1]+1 = 2

The first blow barely cuts the skin but Ere following it up with a kick to the injured leg (mechanically - I'm using the racial move of rerolling damage)

reroll the damage: 1D10+1 = [4]+1 = 5
Yeah, I can see it both ways, but I asked on the Dungeon World Community to see what their thoughts are. I'll go with your interpretation for now and in that case it's dead (if not right now, next round because it's stunned again and next round there are others there to assist) BTW, since a melee attack isn't one swing, even if you stun the monster on a 7-9, it'll still get it's attack back...it might just do it before you land your blow or at the same time you do.

I can see it fictionally behaving that way, but I can also see saying that you know how to use axes to stun someone if you ever want to capture someone. From a balance perspective I'm leaning towards stun or damage, but it's your character and your fun so I'm cool with leaving it this way unless the Dungeon World Community comes back with no no no :)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Thank you for asking. I thought about doing that too but I figured I should do some digging in the forums before asking and I needed to be home from work before really getting into that.

I'm happy with whatever you want to do with it.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

So far I have had two replies. No one seems to know that playbook. One guy is totally against it and another feels like it might be against the spirit of intention but would allow it with the caveat of harder moves against you with bad rolls. None of the "big" names have chimed in yet
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah the general consensus seems to be you can stun or do normal damage. Basically you wouldn't normally be able to stun with the weapon but you can use it to do so if you wish but at a cost of not doing damage
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Makes sense to me; that's actually how I initially thought about it (back in the fight against the big orc construct).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:Just as this is happening, the group above push down on the edge of the chute and it opens so they can hear the battle below. However, they do notice the little peg of stone has popped back up which would seem to indicate that the cycle of the trap door closing/locking and the ceiling coming down might be about to start again.
Dar attempts to jam one of his throwing knives into the trapdoor to prevent it from closing.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

That will work but the force of the mechanism trying to close the trapdoor for any length of time will bend that throwing knife making it useless
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

"Here, Human, use my dagger instead. This thing weighs a ton and I don't care if it gets bent."
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

"Thanks Zordan."

If it's not too late, Dar will use Zordan's dagger instead.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Hearing the commotion from the trap door Ere glances back, "Come on down. It's much better than a room full of traps." Turning back to the creature he moves to stay on the blinded side. Blocking any swipes with its claws with short controlled swings of the ax he tries to herd it into the wall so that it can't avoid a killing blow to the back of the head.

(BTW, I looked up a picture of a rancor earlier.but the one that I found didn't have anything to show a scale. I just looked it up again to see whether it really had a neck and this time I saw more pictures with bigger scale. It doesn't change anything except my mental picture I guess but I thought it was sort of funny)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Arriving at the bottom and seeing Ere involved in fighting the Rancor, Rurgosh will move to aid him by attracting the Rancor's attention so he can more easily slip behind it to deliver a killing blow.

Aid Ere in fighting the Rancor: 2D6 = [5, 1] = 6

Of course he trips and falls under its foot apparently. Good lord that roller hates me.