Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

waitingtoconnect

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:18 am
waitingtoconnect wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:15 am I thought assasinating your political rivals with seal team 6 or the fbi was allowed if you were president?
I was going to post that if Biden wanted trump dead, trump would be dead. But that's not how the government actually works, at least while the good guys are still in charge.
The insanity of all this is that they are accusing Biden of doing something which they are arguing trump should have the power to do and be immune from prosecution for. It’s insanity. Bonkers.

As a conservative person this isn’t conservative. Not at all.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This worries me a hell of a lot more than the effect of Israel/Palestine on the vote:

From the Daily Beast, anecdotally echoed by my niece who works in a FedEx warehouse with probably 80% minority workers, who seem to heavily favor Trump.

“But despite the countless lies and incessant hype on crowd figures that followed, Trump really did draw over a thousand–if not exactly thousands–of supporters to a rally on Thursday evening.

And it was all the more remarkable because it was held in the South Bronx and many of those who began lining up in Crotona Park three hours beforehand were people of color. They stood as proof that the “Trump Amnesia” that causes people to forget his transgressions against basic decency has spread even to his hometown.

“He’s straightforward, no bullshit,” Michael Mercedes, a 20-year-old aspiring model with a day job cleaning airplane cabins at LaGuardia Airport, told The Daily Beast.

Thirty-two-year-old Darlene Mateo offered a similar view. “He’s real,” she said. “He keeps it 100 percent.”
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

But are they likely voters? I saw a NYT article this morning (sorry can't link, it was an email newsletter thing) that said a good chunk of Trump's support in polling is coming from low-interest voters who are disengaged.

That doesn't mean some of them won't show up to vote in 2024 even if they stayed home in 2020, but it does make me wonder if that support will actually translate to real votes - at least in numbers big enough to give him a victory.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:01 am But are they likely voters? I saw a NYT article this morning (sorry can't link, it was an email newsletter thing) that said a good chunk of Trump's support in polling is coming from low-interest voters who are disengaged.

That doesn't mean some of them won't show up to vote in 2024 even if they stayed home in 2020, but it does make me wonder if that support will actually translate to real votes - at least in numbers big enough to give him a victory.
If they show up to rallies, I have to think they would show up to vote.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

No need to worry, I'm sure your party is gonna again come up with at least one or two diabolical ideas to keep President Trump from winning office. :think:
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

em2nought wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:17 pm No need to worry, I'm sure your party is gonna again come up with at least one or two diabolical ideas to keep President Trump from winning office. :think:
I sure hope so. It’s hard to beat a cheater if one is unwilling to also cheat.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which is completely true, but is a danger in and of itself. An extra serving of "damn you" to Trump and the current GOP for getting us to a point where dishonesty may be the only alternative to tyranny. Because once that particular cat's out of the bag...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

That's the spirit! No need to follow the rules when you label your opponents as "Nazis"! :lol:
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Your guy's the one using the words "united reich" and talking about being a dictator on day one, not ours. Don't want to be labeled a Nazi, then stop acting like one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:17 pm No need to worry, I'm sure your party is gonna again come up with at least one or two diabolical ideas to keep President Trump from winning office. :think:
So about that proof of voter fraud you Trumpers keep promising you’re sitting on. Can we expect to see that soon? Maybe before Melania renegotiates her prenup again? :lol:
Now depoliticized.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:43 pm
So about that proof of voter fraud you Trumpers keep promising you’re sitting on. Can we expect to see that soon? Maybe before Melania renegotiates her prenup again? :lol:
but the mules!!!!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:43 am “But despite the countless lies and incessant hype on crowd figures that followed, Trump really did draw over a thousand–if not exactly thousands–of supporters to a rally on Thursday evening.
FWIW, attracting a crowd of little over 1,000 people to a free event with a world-famous celebrity in one of the most densely populated neighborhoods in North America is pretty damn weak.

Plus, is there any sense of how many were just there to boo him? (Or Bronx cheer, I suppose.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:32 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:43 am “But despite the countless lies and incessant hype on crowd figures that followed, Trump really did draw over a thousand–if not exactly thousands–of supporters to a rally on Thursday evening.
FWIW, attracting a crowd of little over 1,000 people to a free event with a world-famous celebrity in one of the most densely populated neighborhoods in North America is pretty damn weak.

Plus, is there any sense of how many were just there to boo him? (Or Bronx cheer, I suppose.)
After I posted that I came across drone footage of the crowd, and it was indeed weak (and didn’t look like even close to 1,000 ppl).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:27 am

After I posted that I came across drone footage of the crowd, and it was indeed weak (and didn’t look like even close to 1,000 ppl).
Reliable estimate is 850-1,000, which looks right to me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:06 am Reliable estimate is 850-1,000, which looks right to me.
There are 1.44 million people in the Bronx alone.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I saw an interview with a native Bronxian (is that a thing?), and she said, "Man, none of those people are even from New York. They all from out of town. Go look at their license plates: Florida, Tennessee, Texas..." As with everything else, it's a grift. It's all smoke and mirrors.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bronxite
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

As opposed to a Bronxasaurus.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:00 amBronxite
They have chronic bronxitis?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bronxite is an intrusive igneous rock found primarily in the Cambrian and Ordovician Inwood Marble region of southern New York.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

But how does it taste in rabbit stew?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Crunchy and bitter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

With a metallic aftertaste.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
waitingtoconnect

New Yorkers overwhelmingly support trump but most are too busy having to work three jobs in the Bidennomics cost of living crisis. Others, the most loyal trump supporters have been cancelled by the far left liberal activists who cancel anyone who loves trump and are now so weak from having had to constantly sell blood, organs and other body parts they are unable to show up.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm really surprised he didn't do Staten Island. He could probably pull some numbers there.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:25 pm
New Yorkers overwhelmingly support trump but most are too busy having to work three jobs in the Bidennomics cost of living crisis. Others, the most loyal trump supporters have been cancelled by the far left liberal activists who cancel anyone who loves trump and are now so weak from having had to constantly sell blood, organs and other body parts they are unable to show up.
:lol:
Now depoliticized.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:25 pm Bronxite is an intrusive igneous rock found primarily in the Cambrian and Ordovician Inwood Marble region of southern New York.
This reminds me of the bronxite rush of the 20th century where people, possibly 10's of people, rushed to the Bronx looking for this fabled mineral.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They even have their own cheer, if I remember correctly.
Now depoliticized.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

If Trump does win in November, what are the chances the electoral college fulfills its destiny?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:05 pm If Trump does win in November, what are the chances the electoral college fulfills its destiny?
I'm pretty sure that is its destiny.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:05 pm If Trump does win in November, what are the chances the electoral college fulfills its destiny?
Do you mean what are the odds that some electors go rogue and the majority of the electoral college votes for Biden? I would say almost zero. And even if they did, odds that that would stand would be low as well - like I would assume that Trump and/or various red state officials would cook up some rationale to award electors to Trump, and then the SCOTUS would side with Trump.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm not sure I'd call it going rogue since one of the purposes was to prevent the electorate from choosing an unqualified candidate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Did it get installed backwards?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That's seeming more and more plausible.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:32 pm I'm not sure I'd call it going rogue since one of the purposes was to prevent the electorate from choosing an unqualified candidate.
Whatever one wants to call it, it's not going to happen.
Black Lives Matter.
waitingtoconnect

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:47 pm
Do you mean what are the odds that some electors go rogue and the majority of the electoral college votes for Biden? I would say almost zero. And even if they did, odds that that would stand would be low as well - like I would assume that Trump and/or various red state officials would cook up some rationale to award electors to Trump, and then the SCOTUS would side with Trump.
I think significant movement by electors either way would cause a major constitutional crisis.

I’d love to see a balancing of the electors better so it’s more reflective though.

Wyoming has three electoral votes and a population of 586,107, while California has 55 electoral votes and 39,144,818 residents. Distributing the electoral vote evenly among each state’s residents suggests that individual votes from Wyoming carry 3.6 times more influence, or weight, than those from California.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The electoral college was supposed to prevent the likes of Trump from ever being elected. That's been proven a failure, and really needs to be abolished. Straight popular vote and Trump never would have seen the Oval Office.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And a lifetime appointment to the SC was supposed to inoculate judges from politics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apparently Trump is furious about Biden's ads that remind us all that Trump called veterans "losers" and "suckers". Numerous all cap retorts on DisTruth Social and repeated rants in his rally speeches has me thinking that Biden is on the right track here. :lol:
Now depoliticized.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Haven't seen the ad, which is odd because Biden puts on a lot of ads here. Though, I got so frustrated with CNBC that I hardly watch TV anymore. Once I turned them off, they took the rest of TV with them and non streaming TV has pretty much been non existent, as has all my news sourcing, placing me squarely in the OO echo chamber for my news.