THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by Alefroth »

For a 'change' election, the incumbents sure are doing well. Apparently not a single congressional incumbent has lost their race.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Too soon to start drinking about 2024?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:19 pm Too soon to start drinking about 2024?
Aye. I'm holding off for as long as I can.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:19 pm Too soon to start drinking about 2024?
:clap: :clap:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Trumpers with the 18-29 vote and Hispanics. Biden isn’t going to win this state:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

My fear if Biden wins is this:

If he wins, it is going to be very close. What if he wins a star like Wisconsin, where it is likely to be close. And what if the Republican legislature, or even locally controlled election boards, refuse to certify the election, and hence Biden’s victory? Last time we almost had that happen in one county where there were 2 Republicans and one Democrat on the board, and the Republicans were under tremendous pressure to refuse certification. One voted against, but one voted to join the Democrat to certify and was basically exiled by the local Republican Party. This would lead to chaos and lawsuits, and possibly violence.

Of course, if Biden doesn’t win, no worries, right, it’s all good!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In that situation, even if Biden ends up winning, it will just feed the fraud and "Illegitimate President" narratives. We'll be dealing with more years of half of the country refusing to acknowledge that the President won. I don't know if that building on top of the last four years will cause it to escalate, or if Trump being more or less out of the picture will reduce it, but it won't be much fun either way.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We can do this the easy way or the hard way, but in the end trump's going to be in charge.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like we have no choice but to watch him win and then hope he doesn't try to rewrite the 22nd amendment for a third term (or more). If we can live through 4 years of him, we can hopefully be done with him...

...until his idiot supporters vote for Kevin Sorbo or someone ELSE they saw on TV that they think is personally speaking to them about how white people are getting the shaft.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:55 pm I feel like we have no choice but to watch him win and then hope
OR we can get out there and work like Hell to GOTV.

Come on, people: what do you think "Democracy" actually MEANS??

I'm not lashing out at you, Hep, but at the general assumption that this is all out of our control. It is NOT.

I've posted before about efforts (especially my wife's and her allies') towards grassroots voter outreach. The organization my wife founded made a statistically significant impact on the 2000 election result in Pennsylvania, and it has done so in every election since.

There's work to be done. Fucking do it. We can save this country; no one else can.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Made me (not) laugh and how I've been feeling for I dunno how long now.

https://bsky.app/profile/stealthygeek.b ... p2zh3tik2b

The best I could do toward making it Xhitter like:
Funny story, Frank. We have both of those things right now and the media won't stop telling us how bad the economy "feels" and how old the President is.

Almost like the "liberal media" has always been a lie told by the right to explain away their endless failures, scandals, and corruption.
Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:38 pm
I'm not lashing out at you, Hep, but at the general assumption that this is all out of our control. It is NOT.
And if Trump wins,I promise I'm not lashing out at you and your wife for failing when I post an all caps diatribe consisting of new and innovative uses of the f word. :wink:
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:If we can live through 4 years of him
That's a big if considering he's going to roll out the red carpet for Putin to win the Ukraine war and possibly continue rolling into NATO countries. Whereas the Trump domestic agenda is the immediate concern, I don't think people are concerned enough about the global impact of a Trump win.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:55 pm I feel like we have no choice but to watch him win and then hope he doesn't try to rewrite the 22nd amendment for a third term (or more). If we can live through 4 years of him, we can hopefully be done with him...
I'm not worried about him in that context. He can do lots of damage, and we can survive four more years, sure, but the potential of a third term isn't what keeps me up at night. What scares the hell out of me is that if he takes it, and gets Congress, then they can pass enough election 'reforms' that they won't have to worry about the actual elections going forward. Two terms of Trump, or even three, we can survive. But if they do what I fear, we've got Trump's next-in-line in office for the rest of our lives. Hell, Trump could win and then drop dead the next day and we'd still be facing the same greater threat.

And it probably won't be Trump, or even Trumpists. If they can do that, they won't need the insanity that is Trump in order to keep power anymore.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m telling you. This all ends with President Sorbo.
He won. Period.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hepcat wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:08 pm I’m telling you. This all ends with President Sorbo.
The sad thing is that it's not implausible.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:55 pm I feel like we have no choice but to watch him win and then hope

I've posted before about efforts (especially my wife's and her allies') towards grassroots voter outreach. The organization my wife founded made a statistically significant impact on the 2000 election result in Pennsylvania, and it has done so in every election since.

There's work to be done. Fucking do it. We can save this country; no one else can.
We need more Holmans (and Holmans’ wives).

Seriously, thanks for actually doing something in a state where it actually matters.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:22 pm

Seriously, thanks for actually doing something in a state where it actually matters.
Yeah, I don't think I need to mobilize for Massachusetts, but I have some family in Michigan that needs prodding. My sister used to keep them in line but they live in a deep red zone and aren't very political, and since she's not there to straighten them out anymore I worry that they'll lose the way. One nephew thinks JFK Jr is the shiznitz and none of them are Biden fans. I could conceivably deliver three votes in MI by threatening to disinherit them if they don't dance to my tune. :twisted:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:08 am

Yeah, I don't think I need to mobilize for Massachusetts, but I have some family in Michigan that needs prodding. My sister used to keep them in line but they live in a deep red zone and aren't very political, and since she's not there to straighten them out anymore I worry that they'll lose the way. One nephew thinks JFK Jr is the shiznitz and none of them are Biden fans. I could conceivably deliver three votes in MI by threatening to disinherit them if they don't dance to my tune. :twisted:
Seems fishy to me. My 83 year old liberal democrat cousin can't do anything without me having to do it for her, but I'd never ask her to vote my way. :wink:
Re-electing Biden is like the Titanic backing up to hit the iceberg again!
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

em2nought wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:20 am
Kraken wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:08 am

Seems fishy to me. My 83 year old liberal democrat cousin can't do anything without me having to do it for her, but I'd never ask her to vote my way. :wink:
How about dead family members? Maybe help them vote your way? :)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

They are not dead. They are currently incapacitated.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kurth wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:22 pm We need more Holmans (and Holmans’ wives).

It's mostly her. I try to help, but she's a powerhouse.

For those living in non-swing states, there are still things you can do.

One of the most visible orgs is Vote Save America (from the Crooked Media / Pod Save America folks). It makes it easy to do a little or a lot, but something.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:07 am
Kurth wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:22 pm We need more Holmans (and Holmans’ wives).

It's mostly her. I try to help, but she's a powerhouse.

For those living in non-swing states, there are still things you can do.

One of the most visible orgs is Vote Save America (from the Crooked Media / Pod Save America folks). It makes it easy to do a little or a lot, but something.
From non-swing state Oregon, thanks for that link. I'll check it out!
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:57 am
waitingtoconnect wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:19 pm
Zarathud wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:31 am Biden is getting whacked by the expected inflationary pressure post-COVID and additional economic insecurity. Things are doing well, but we’re spenders and higher interest rates hurt consumers. Which is what the Fed intended to slow down the economy, but the blame gets applied to Biden.
Did the conservative republicans throw the 2020 election knowing the poo storm that was about to hit?
No, they did not. No one's that collectively organized and forward thinking, for one.
It’s an interesting conspiracy theory… we stole the election for Biden so we could say he stole it.

And it’s the same circular logic they always use. For example you can’t trust Michael Cohen because Michael Cohen is a criminal convicted of criminal things I never directly asked him to do for me.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

If we have a recession, then Biden is done for:

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-econ ... ing-2024-5

People always vote their pocketbooks.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s odd. Almost every other article on the possibility of a recession I’ve read in the last 6 months or so report that a recession is very unlikely. :?
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If the media is to be believed, we've been heading for recession for the past 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:58 am If the media is to be believed, we've been heading for recession for the past 4 years.
Aye, ever since February of 2021. And since 2021 everyone has been feeling like we've been in recession and the economy has collapsed and nobody works to get them their stuff and services anymore and immigration is too high and those immigrants who don't work are illegally spending all of federal money from taxes that suddenly got are too high on debt from stimulus money that only seemingly got out of control in 2020 going to DEI instead of to hard working Americans. I mean who can afford to put 3% down moving from a 2500 square foot home to a 3500 square foot home when mortgage interest rates are north of 6%?

On the less cynical side, inflation did happen. It had to happen. We knew even TFG was still in control the piper needed to by paid. I'm surprised at how comparatively painless it has been (for me and generally, but by no means across the board), actually.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... sion-biden
Nearly three in five Americans wrongly believe the US is in an economic recession, and the majority blame the Biden administration, according to a Harris poll conducted exclusively for the Guardian. The survey found persistent pessimism about the economy as election day draws closer.

The poll highlighted many misconceptions people have about the economy, including:

55% believe the economy is shrinking, and 56% think the US is experiencing a recession, though the broadest measure of the economy, gross domestic product (GDP), has been growing.

49% believe the S&P 500 stock market index is down for the year, though the index went up about 24% in 2023 and is up more than 12% this year.

49% believe that unemployment is at a 50-year high, though the unemployment rate has been under 4%, a near 50-year low.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:28 am
YellowKing wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:58 am If the media is to be believed, we've been heading for recession for the past 4 years.
Aye, ever since February of 2021. And since 2021 everyone has been feeling like we've been in recession and the economy has collapsed and nobody works to get them their stuff and services anymore and immigration is too high and those immigrants who don't work are illegally spending all of federal money from taxes that suddenly got are too high on debt from stimulus money that only seemingly got out of control in 2020 going to DEI instead of to hard working Americans. I mean who can afford to put 3% down moving from a 2500 square foot home to a 3500 square foot home when mortgage interest rates are north of 6%?

On the less cynical side, inflation did happen. It had to happen. We knew even TFG was still in control the piper needed to by paid. I'm surprised at how comparatively painless it has been (for me and generally, but by no means across the board), actually.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... sion-biden
Nearly three in five Americans wrongly believe the US is in an economic recession, and the majority blame the Biden administration, according to a Harris poll conducted exclusively for the Guardian. The survey found persistent pessimism about the economy as election day draws closer.

The poll highlighted many misconceptions people have about the economy, including:

55% believe the economy is shrinking, and 56% think the US is experiencing a recession, though the broadest measure of the economy, gross domestic product (GDP), has been growing.

49% believe the S&P 500 stock market index is down for the year, though the index went up about 24% in 2023 and is up more than 12% this year.

49% believe that unemployment is at a 50-year high, though the unemployment rate has been under 4%, a near 50-year low.
I’m feeling more and more that our democracy is fading out. Maybe democracy can limp along reasonably well with an uninformed, apathetic populace of voters. But that’s not what we have: Social media and the deterioration of legitimate news media has given us a population that isn’t just uninformed, they’re actively misinformed. In addition to the above false notions about the economy, remember that 17% of them think Biden did away with Roe v. Wade! :roll:

And it feels like the most misinformed have also become the most activated, while more reasonably well informed voters are becoming so jaded and cynical that they’re tapping out altogether.

Feeling depressed this morning.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Some media. Lately, WaPo has been highlighting the positive news about the economy, of which there is much. Unemployment below 4% for 27 months and counting, an all-time record. Wages growing faster than inflation, especially for the bottom quintile. The US has the strongest post-covid growth with the lowest inflation among developed economies. Despite their ample bitching, consumers are still spending enthusiastically. The industrial sector is growing as companies onshore operations that they had offshored.

But yeah, my news feed routinely parades headlines about recession, inflation, the stock market bubble, the housing bubble, and even stagflation, none of which are actually happening or even imminent. It's no wonder >50% of Americans believe we're in a recession. Doom and gloom sell better than happy news.
Holman

Post by Holman »

In case you ever thought Nikki Haley actually had integrity, she just announced that she is voting for Trump after all.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The 20-25% who were voting for her even after she dropped out clearly don't want Trump. I wonder how they feel about this.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

"These people are not normal". :)

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Persecution is key to the Jesus part of his brand.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:41 pm In case you ever thought Nikki Haley actually had integrity, she just announced that she is voting for Trump after all.
Fetch my smelling salts.
Black Lives Matter.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

I thought assasinating your political rivals with seal team 6 or the fbi was allowed if you were president?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:15 am I thought assasinating your political rivals with seal team 6 or the fbi was allowed if you were president?
I was going to post that if Biden wanted trump dead, trump would be dead. But that's not how the government actually works, at least while the good guys are still in charge.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:41 pm In case you ever thought Nikki Haley actually had integrity, she just announced that she is voting for Trump after all.
I did not ever.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:08 pm The 20-25% who were voting for her even after she dropped out clearly don't want Trump. I wonder how they feel about this.
There aren't many actual Haley Republicans. It's just that she was the last non-Trump on the ballot (even after she dropped out), so a vote for her became an anti-Trump (hopefully a never-Trump) protest.
Holman

Post by Holman »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:15 am I thought assasinating your political rivals with seal team 6 or the fbi was allowed if you were president?
Not yet. We have to wait for Alito and Thomas to write that opinion in February.