Dungeon World Play by Post

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Re: Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by IceBear »

Scoop20906 wrote:I'll deal 1d8-1 damage and then provide an advantage to the Barbarian. Correct?
You can provide an advantage and roll an additional d6 if you wish. The 1d8-1 has been done
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Scoop20906 wrote:I'll deal 1d8-1 damage and then provide an advantage to the Barbarian. Correct?
You get to choose 2 from:

You don’t get into melee with them
You deal your damage+1d6
You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it

You get the 1d8-1 anyway. That is your base damage. You can add 1d6 if you want. As well as another one of those options.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Or what IB said. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Would it be possible to get a sit-rep once Scoop is done? I think that brings, him, tru1cy, and myself up to date. Does Chaosraven have an outstanding action?

Black Lives Matter

Scoop20906

Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ahhh, add 1d6 and then create advantage to an ally, that barbarian.

Please.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Scoop20906 wrote:Ahhh, add 1d6 and then create advantage to an ally, that barbarian.
1d6=3

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The thief slips up behind one of the creatures and draws his dagger across its throat. It spurts its green fluid everywhere as it falls dead to the ground. There is one of the creatures left, badly damaged by the wizard's spell snarling at the barbarian. Around the room a dozen or so men and women lie dead or dying, their blood over the walls, floor and ceiling.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

attempt to parley with the lone creature
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

tru1cy wrote:attempt to parley with the lone creature
What do you say and then make a 2D6+CHA roll. Depending on what you say there may be plus or minuses that I'll add. Also, it might not listen, but no harm in trying
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

IceBear wrote:
What do you say and then make a 2D6+CHA roll. Depending on what you say there may be plus or minuses that I'll add. Also, it might not listen, but no harm in trying
I yell " YIELD or DIE! 9
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

"Would anyone else like to negotiate?"

I approve! :twisted:

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

tru1cy wrote:
IceBear wrote:
I yell " YIELD or DIE! 9
"I am already dead", snarls the creature. "My master will destroy me should I return empty handed, but he will simply return my soul to another body if I fall here".

And with those words it charges the elven wizard.

Note: It is far enough away that you can cast a spell before it reaches you.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

"Turn your back on me at your peril!" I jump on it's back and thrust with the dagger.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+2=13

Damage: 1d10+2=8

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

As the creature rushes towards the elf, Gorran simply steps up behind it and drives his dagger through its back. It collapses, dead.

There are sobs and moans from the surving inn patrons, but you can also hear cries and screams from outside the inn. When you rush outside you see that a similar attack has taken place. There are many dead bodies in the streets, with the occasional red skinned monster body mixed in. Written on the side of one of the buildings, in blood is the following message:

Leave this place or suffer the Fate of your kin. You have until the moon is full

Man, those are good rolls. Most people seem to get in the 7 to 9 range but lots of 10+ here
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I got a few good rolls on attacks. Followed mostly by terrible damage rolls. :D

I worry that we were all responding so quickly that we mostly left Chaosraven out.

Should we come up with a way to make sure everyone has had a "turn" before proceeding with the next event?

My tally for the fight is 4 damage (17/23) and no experience. Does that mesh, IB?

Anyone happen to know how long until the full moon?

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

23-4=19. The rest is correct.

9 days to the next full moon. I have been trying to track xp, hp and status effects on the first post
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:23-4=19. The rest is correct.

9 days to the next full moon
Good lord. I even wrote it down wrong earlier. :doh:

I will take the other response to mean that I know how long.

"So much innocent blood. This must be avenged. I will find justice for them all. Who will join me? For justice, for vengeance, for glory!"
Last edited by TheMix on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I think I will be offline for a bit.... Nasty headache
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

IceBear wrote:I think I will be offline for a bit.... Nasty headache
We can pick up tomorrow, but I'll start searching their bodies to see if I sense anything magical that can help identify them or their Master.

I do this without acknowledging my companions... actually I'll shoot a angry stare towards Scoop for starting this dust up early and then I'll do my search

Feel better IB
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Did I ever get an answer to my Bardic Lore question?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

tru1cy wrote:
IceBear wrote:I think I will be offline for a bit.... Nasty headache
We can pick up tomorrow, but I'll start searching their bodies to see if I sense anything magical that can help identify them or their Master.

I do this without acknowledging my companions... actually I'll shoot a angry stare towards Scoop for starting this dust up early and then I'll do my search

Feel better IB
Thanks, I went to bed early but now it's only about 3am and I am awake. Anyway :

You find nothing on their bodies but you could use a Spout Lore move (2d6 + INT) to ask questions about them, but I may be answering most of them in response to CR's bardic Lore below
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Chaosraven wrote:Did I ever get an answer to my Bardic Lore question?
No, you didn't and I apologize for missing that.
You recall that there are stories of a minor race of demons called the Braaken that match these creatures. They don't appear to have any special strengths or weaknesses but being demons when they die on this plane of existence they simply reform in their hellish dimension. You also recall that they were used frequently by a lich named Grequal who is said to possess the knowledge of their truenames and, as such, could summon them at will or erase them from existence. To the best of your knowledge Grequal was defeated over a thousand years ago.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The current situation
The group is standing out in the bloody street. Townsfolk are sobbing and standing around in shock. Gorran shouts "So much innocent blood. This must be avenged. I will find justice for them all. Who will join me? For justice, for vengeance, for glory!"

A plump, older man timidly walks forward, unable to look you in the eye, "O mighty warrior, they have taken my daughter into the woods. If you seek justice, please save her!"

You hear others around you saying similar things, loved ones and friends have been dragged off by the braaken into the woods.
To save some time as I know that CR was heading down this avenue of pursuit before Scoop's 6 started the fight:
You learn from talking with the villagers that several months ago a group of adventurers arrived in town claiming that they had discovered the location of an ancient keep within Jyln Woods. Those adventurers were never heard from again, but not long after woodsmen and hunters started disappearing, and outlying farms reported attacks on their animals. Things got worse with entire farms being destroyed and lately strange shadows could be seen prowling outside the village walls at night. Just last week a couple of the guards watching from the walls at night vanished.
Last edited by IceBear on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I'll hold off on spouting lore, since Corvus used Bardic Lore.

We need to decide what's our next move and figure out where they came from..
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I edited my post above to update the situation
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I'm waiting for my companions to chime in. Can I do a ritual to track them back to their base or Master?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

9 days to full. So probably some moonlight. Unless it's overcast.

"If you would travel with me, gather your things and meet me at the town gate. We track them while we have moonlight. We cannot afford to let them get too far ahead."

I'll collect my things and head to the gate.

I'm guessing that I have some limited/trained tracking ability? Hmm... dropbox is apparently blocked at work. I won't be able to get access to the command options until I get home tonight.

I also assuming I won't need to roll until I either need to find the initial trail, or unless I lose it.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

tru1cy wrote:I'm waiting for my companions to chime in. Can I do a ritual to track them back to their base or Master?
I don't think that we need a ritual yet. If they carted off the townsfolk during this raid (and not some prior one), then there should be a relatively easy trail to follow. If we are able to catch them and deal with them/get the townsfolk back, then we will likely need some help finding the final destination.

My priority right now is saving the townsfolk that were just taken.

Black Lives Matter

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

TheMix wrote:
tru1cy wrote:I'm waiting for my companions to chime in. Can I do a ritual to track them back to their base or Master?
I don't think that we need a ritual yet. If they carted off the townsfolk during this raid (and not some prior one), then there should be a relatively easy trail to follow. If we are able to catch them and deal with them/get the townsfolk back, then we will likely need some help finding the final destination.

My priority right now is saving the townsfolk that were just taken.
Screw the town folks.... Its the magic that's important. We're dealing with some powerful mage
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

To perform a ritual you need to be at a place of power. There might be one within the woods, but what little magic energy that was here in the village itself has been damaged by the miscast magics.
Ritual
When you draw on a place of power to create a magical effect, tell the GM what you’re trying
to achieve. Ritual effects are always possible, but the GM will give you one to four of the
following conditions:
•  It’s going to take days/weeks/months
•  First you must ____
•  You’ll need help from ____
•  It will require a lot of money
•  The best you can do is a lesser version, unreliable and limited
•  You and your allies will risk danger from ____
•  You’ll have to disenchant ____ to do it
I'm not saying that you can't use it here, but given the little magic that's available you'll definitely need to disenchant something to fuel the ritual, plus spend at least 1000gp in magical ingredients, and it'll probably take a few days at least.

I am going to wait for the others to chime in with their thoughts and opinions before really moving ahead, but TheMix is correct, there's a fairly easy trail to follow through the woods and I think it's a fair assumption that Gorran has some wilderness survival skills which would include tracking (he's a barbarian that lived in the northern mountains). If others can give compelling rationale for their characters then they can have those skills too. So, Gorran make note that you have wilderness survival skill which gives you +1 ongoing to relevant skill checks.

This system actually has a move to simulate overland journey through dangerous territory:
Undertake a Perilous Journey
When you travel through hostile territory, choose one member of the party to
act as trailblazer, one to scout ahead, and one to be quartermaster (the same
character cannot have two jobs). If you don’t have enough party members or
choose not to assign a job, treat that job as if it had rolled a 6. Each character
with a job to do rolls+Wis. On a 10+ the quartermaster reduces the number of
rations required by one. On a 10+ the trailblazer reduces the amount of time it
takes to reach your destination (the GM will say by how much). On a 10+ the
scout will spot any trouble quick enough to let you get the drop on it. On a 7–9
each roles performs their job as expected: the normal number of rations are
consumed, the journey takes about as long as expected, no one gets the drop on
you but you don’t get the drop on them either.
So, discuss among yourselves who will take what roles. The journey will take just 2 days if all goes well. Each role rolls once.

If trailblazer doesn't reduce the trip to one day, then you will also need to make the make camp and take watch moves:
Make Camp
When you settle in to rest consume a ration. If you’re somewhere dangerous
decide the watch order as well. If you have enough XP you may Level Up. When
you wake from at least a few uninterrupted hours of sleep heal damage equal to
half your max HP.
Take Watch
When you you’re on watch and something approaches the camp roll+Wis. On
a 10+ you’re able to wake the camp and prepare a response, the camp takes +1
forward. On a 7–9 you react just a moment too late; the camp is awake but hasn’t
had time to prepare. You have weapons and armor but little else. On a miss
whatever lurks outside the campfire’s light has the drop on you.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Do we have gold? Did we garner anything from the fight?
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

And for the record my WIS bonus is 0, so don't assign me an important job :oops:
"Where are you off to?"

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Chaosraven wrote:Do we have gold? Did we garner anything from the fight?
Other than Scoop, none of you have gold (guess it's assumed you spent it all on your gear), but considering you all just completed a job as guards, I'll give you all 10 gold coins each.

Other than the gratitude of the villagers for slaying the demons that were in the inn, no, there wasn't any treasure :(
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'm feeling a bit sheepish about the whole thing. Why the Illusion cast over these lobster men? Maybe if we can understand more about the magic used we can spot the imposters before they get the jump on us again? I don't like anything that can sneak up on me.
Last edited by Scoop20906 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

plus spend at least 1000gp in magical ingredients
So that option is out.

Into The Woods!
"Where are you off to?"

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Chaosraven wrote:And for the record my WIS bonus is 0, so don't assign me an important job :oops:
Other than Scoop who has +1, you all have Wis 0. Gorran would get a +1 bonus due to the skill benefit I just gave him
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Well, I'm not overly fond of following a inebriated human with little to no social skills, so I will bow to the will of the group

I don't get any bonus from my wisdom either, but I'll take quartermaster
Last edited by tru1cy on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Scoop20906 wrote:I'm feeling a bit sheepish about the whole thing. Why the Illusion cast over these lobster men?
You did notice that there were several guards at the front gate when you came into town so it's possible the illusion was just to get them through the front gate, and from talking to the locals you do hear gossip that they had been poking into nooks and crannies around the village, especially basements so perhaps it was a disguise to allow them to search for something or someone?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Halwyr , is there anyway you can conjure a way for us to detect this lobsters ahead of time? I'm a pretty observant person and I didn't notice anything odd about this bunch. I just saw them as an easy mark. This magic has to be fairly powerful to fool me.

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Scoop20906 wrote:Halwyr , is there anyway you can conjure a way for us to detect this lobsters ahead of time? I'm a pretty observant person and I didn't notice anything odd about this bunch. I just saw them as an easy mark. This magic has to be fairly powerful to fool me.

Can I Spout Lore here on this question or do this falls under Discern Realities?

Spout Lore 12

Discern Realities 4