Baldur's Gate 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: Baldur's Gate 3

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:19 pm I know a lot of people didn't have bugs - but a lot of other people did, and some of them were quest or companion breaking. It's enough that I'm fine waiting until they fix those things - it's not like this unusually awesome year has had a lack of games that I want to play!

But this is at the top of the list.
They fixed the two big potential companion quest bugs that I am aware of.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's something, thanks. Like I said, without having played it, the patch notes are one half spoilers, and one half names I don't know.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

They also made Gale less horny.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:43 pm They also made Gale less horny.
I don't know who she is, so I don't know whether to be happy or sad.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:45 pm
El Guapo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:43 pm They also made Gale less horny.
I don't know who she is, so I don't know whether to be happy or sad.
Gale's the male wizard companion. BG3 in general at shipment had a famous issue with companions in general being overly horny, such that basically every companion would hit on you immediately in Act 1 no matter what you did. Gale was among the worst of the violators, so they adjusted the settings so that you need to get more approval before they start hitting on you.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, I knew about the excess libido - I just don't know the characters, save for those from the earlier games (like Minsc, whom I am guessing is actually the version from the more recent comics), or those from other Realms lore (like Volo Geddarm.)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:29 pm Sorry, it was a dumb joke about how kinky the BG3 characters are. :oops:
No worries. Im very ok with my situation and joke about it myself.
To be fair I didn't understand it until you explained it.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ever wonder what would happen in a battle between a Beholder and the Githyanki patrol? My Bard is here to tell the tale.

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Where did you get that beholder potion? :o
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

EzeKieL wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:34 am Where did you get that beholder potion? :o
There's a certain quest with a chest you can either open or not open... It involves gnolls and some mercenaries and a cave.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

EzeKieL wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:34 am Where did you get that beholder potion? :o
It is part of a quest, though you can get it without doing the quest:
Spoiler:
Across the broken bridge north of the Blighted Village, and to the east is the Risen Road waypoint. North of that is a group of gnolls fighting 2 bandits who want the chest by them. Kill them all and take the chest. Note: You can complete the quest if you don't open it, but instead give it to the Zhentarim bandit leader in their hideout near and below Waukeen's Rest (north of the broken bridge). After she rewards you (and you use the good faction to get better stuff from the bandit merchant), you can kill her and get the chest back. Best of both scenarios.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

(Beholderkin - a Spectator, I believe.)

Just being pedantic, as is my wont. ;)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:40 am (Beholderkin - a Spectator, I believe.)

Correct - it's a spectator. I freaked out a bit when I saw my first one, before I realized that it wasn't a beholder.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:40 am (Beholderkin - a Spectator, I believe.)

I knew it was a Spectator, but it looks like a Beholder and that sounds better. Besides, I love to tweak the purists.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:24 pm it looks like a Beholder
:tjg:
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:24 pm Besides, I love to tweak the purists.
Not taking the bait. Nope. Not taking it.

Although I'm nerd that's been playing the thing for 45 years - I've never been a purist.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Interesting cut scene anomaly:
Spoiler:
I successfully disarmed Ketheric Thorm in the first fight and yoinked his weapon. But when he did his big cut scene he was still waiving his hammer at the sky. Guess they didn't think it was necessary to make a separate scene for this rare occurrence. Same thing happens if you disarm Voss but he still points his missing sword at you.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

There was fire. So much fire. I was on fire, they were on fire, the floor was on fire, the walls were on fire. The fire burned through a rope, and down fell the chandelier, crushing one unlucky goblin.

And that is how I earned the achievement for, Kill a character via falling damage.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Today's burning question: Is it possible to reach Level 10 before entering Act 3 without going murder hobo?

Answer: Yes. If you kill every single baddie in Act 1 and 2 there is just enough exp to do so. Barely.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

42 hours in and I'm STILL not out of ACT 1. Which is fine by me. I love a long, involved CRPG. And this game is that and more.

My new favorite place:
Spoiler:
The Arcane Tower in the Underdark. The amount of backstory on that place is amazing. They took the old evil wizard trope and turned it into a tale of loneliness. Took me a while to figure out how to power things up, but a combination of gaseous form and reading every damn book in the place eventually revealed how.
Now depoliticized.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I just entered Act II (via the Mountain Pass) at 65 hours played. The Underdark was too scary.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

One of these days I will settle on a character to finish the story with, but until then I’m going to reroll a new character. I’m thinking a bard this time.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I would love to see Stephen King's Dark Tower universe set in the BG 3 game engine. That would be amazing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

With Starfield back on the shelf for now, I'm going to be starting this soon. I've decided to finish the Jim Zub comics series, which concludes (for now) with a prequel to BGIII. It's not a long read.

I'm thinking Fighter (Battle Master) or Bard (College of Swords.)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

New hotfix today, apparently dealing with shifting inventory from dismissed party members, and some other small stuff.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:33 pm New hotfix today, apparently dealing with shifting inventory from dismissed party members, and some other small stuff.
A welcomed change. I hated it when my inventory got swamped every time I changed out characters.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I managed to get a Netherstone without first...
Spoiler:
taking out Gortash's Steel Watch. All the guides advise against this, so of course I had to see if it could be done. I went to Gortash's coronation and he peacefully invited me to his quarters. His first and last mistake.

I kept one character in camp and used invis and stealth to sneak behind him and pile the explosives sky high. One fire arrow took him out but a swarm of steel watchers and other minions did not take it kindly. I used invis so I could loot Gortash's corpse then completed the suicide mission. Back in camp I got 3 rezzes and made it back with the goods.

I checked and the steel watcher factory was destroyed, but the watchers in the city were still there and hostile. I missed out on the legendary bow, but I saved before going nuts if I want to go back and get it. They said it couldn't be done.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've finished the prequel comics, so it looks like it's time to get started.

In regards to the comics, for the curious:

Jim Zub (the guy who wrote Skullkickers) is behind the series. Early on they were writing one five- or six-issue miniseries for each of the big adventures released by WotC. Each led directly into the next. They are, in order:

Legends of Baldur's Gate (introduced Minsc and the other characters, tied to Tyranny of Dragons) (the Days of Endless Adventure collection is cheaper for this and the next two, see below.)
Shadows of the Vampire (added a new character, tied to Curse of Strahd)
Frost Giant's Fury (tied to Storm King's Thunder)
Evil at Baldur's Gate (tied to... I'm honestly not sure.)
Infernal Tides (tied to Descent Into Avernus)
Mindbreaker (prequel to Baldur's Gate 3)

Most were good, although there were a few issues that fell a little flat (naturally.) If someone was interested, they would certainly be able jump straight into Mindbreaker and just read those five issues without feeling lost. Better would be to read Legends of Baldur's Gate, which introduces all but one of the characters. And, of course, reading them all is certainly worth the time.

They're apparently available on Comixology and Kindle Unlimited. They're available as TPBs (trade paperbacks - each story combined into a single volume.) They also have Dungeons & Dragons: Days of Endless Adventure that brings the first three together into one volume.

Boo approves.

Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If anyone is interested in those and has the patience to wait a few days, there is a second compendium being released on 24 Oct 2023:

Dungeons & Dragons: Nights of Endless Adventure
This companion collection to Dungeons & Dragons: Days of Endless Adventure includes three graphic novels: Dungeons & Dragons: Evil at Baldur’s Gate, Dungeons & Dragons: Infernal Tides, and Dungeons & Dragons: Mindbreaker.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nice!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

msteelers wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:45 am One of these days I will settle on a character to finish the story with, but until then I’m going to reroll a new character. I’m thinking a bard this time.
I finally reached Act 2 with my bard this morning. Even though I'm trying to explore every nook and cranny I still feel like I'm missing a lot.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I fully expect to play again after I finish this initial playthrough. But I'll wait for the inevitable free deluxe version that Larian will release a year or so from now. Then I'm going all evil, baby.
Now depoliticized.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

msteelers wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:49 pm
msteelers wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:45 am One of these days I will settle on a character to finish the story with, but until then I’m going to reroll a new character. I’m thinking a bard this time.
I finally reached Act 2 with my bard this morning. Even though I'm trying to explore every nook and cranny I still feel like I'm missing a lot.
I am over 1,000 hours and about 10 playthroughs and I am STILL discovering nooks I somehow missed.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why hasn't anyone told me I can dual wield salami!

Oh, and I'm apparently proficient with salami too!

Now depoliticized.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Plus you'll never go hungry.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Proficiency with the weapon type opens up … bacon?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If I can just find a salami sling I can get my meat missile on.

I’m working on battle cries.

How about:

Prepare to MEAT your maker!

Update: a quick internet check informs me that the salami build (also known as the Salami Slapper build) is a thing.
Now depoliticized.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:49 pm If I can just find a salami sling I can get my meat missile on.

I’m working on battle cries.

How about:

Prepare to MEAT your maker!

Update: a quick internet check informs me that the salami build (also known as the Salami Slapper build) is a thing.
This is a job, for a HERO!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m your WURST nightmare!
Now depoliticized.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I'm regretting the path I took in Act 2 and feel like I'm missing out on a lot of content, but backtracking would make me lose a couple days worth of progress...
Spoiler:
I was avoiding Moonrise Tower because it seems to clearly be the end of Act 2. So I went and did everything else in the region I could find before going there, including going through the Gauntlet and freeing Nightsong.

Now though when I go to Moonrise Tower the bad guys are talking like they've known me all along and this is a big act of betrayal. I also fear the people trapped in the tower that I was supposed to save are gone forever. Oh, and despite reloading multiple times I can't get Jaheira out of the first battle alive. Her and almost everyone else get wrecked every time.
Boo....