2024 Fundraising - $1001 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Update on my renter friend

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Update on my renter friend

Post by LordMortis »

I am not sure if anyone cares or not, but I promised an update on my renter friend after the 15th. Well, the 15th came and went and I asked about rent and he told me that he is waiting for a check from his dad to clear and then he would write me a check for a portion of the first months rent. I stopped him this morning and told him that I need a concrete plan for payment or December would roll around and we'd him in a spiralling situation that would be very difficult to get out of. He promised me a concrete plan by tonight and it was pretty obvious that we both feel like shit now. I'd have wimped out and wouldn't have done it, but I have to do bills this afternoon and looks like I am going to be dipping into my own savings to make it through this month and that scares me with the gas bills of winter about to start. :(
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

As awkward as it was, I think you did the right thing, LM. Money matters can really wreck a friendship, or any kind of relationship.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yeah, I think you did the right thing. If you let him freeload off of you forever, you would end up resenting him forever. This way might cause some temporary discomfort, but will probably be healthier in the long run.
funnygirl

Re: Update on my renter friend

Post by funnygirl »

LordMortis wrote:I am not sure if anyone cares or not, but I :(
I care...... :)

Yes, you did the right thing. I hope you end up with your money and your friendship intact.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Hopefully this means you're headed in the right direction. If a manager at work asks me when I'll have Report X done and I come back to him and say, "I don't know, Person Y is using the equipment I need to take the data," then said manager (if {s}he is a good one) will then ask "When can you give me a commit date?" The moral is to never walk away empty handed. If you can't get money, find out when you will get the money. If circumstances dictate that he can't answer when you'll get the money, get a date for a commit date.

If tonight's deadline passes and you don't know what the plan is to avoid troubles by the end of this year, then you're back in a pickle. Me, usually I give a date for coming up with an ECD (estimated completion date for my report) and then pretend like that commit date never existed, forcing the manager to come back to me yet again and begin the cycle. I'm a prick that way.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Just like Bush, you had to make a tough decision LM :wink:

Ya done good.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Me, usually I give a date for coming up with an ECD (estimated completion date for my report) and then pretend like that commit date never existed, forcing the manager to come back to me yet again and begin the cycle. I'm a prick that way.
No wonder you have so much time to spend here. :wink:

Did the right thing, LM. Sounds like you'll both feel better about this when things get straightened out.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Sounds like you handled it in a mature, non-accusatory manner. Asking for a concrete plan is nothing to feel bad about.

Sure, you can both feel bad that you're in this situation, but it sounds like you've taken a positive step towards resolving it, rather than ignore the elephant in the corner.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sigh....He never got back to me last night. I will have to remind him again today. I get to be nag now too. I can add taking on a friend as a renter to my list of things to never do again.

On the bright side, I get to go to the coolest Halloween party and The Cramps this weekend.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I found that becoming roommates with a friend was very hard on the friendship. It was easier to become friends with a roommate. I suppose it has to do with the stress of changing a loose relationship with something more formal - I'm not sure. And I know other people who have not had the same experience, so it may just be me.

I hope that things get straightened out and your friendship doesn't suffer longterm, LM.
Rubyeye

Post by Rubyeye »

The question is... how good of a friend is he REALLY if he is making you do all of the pining for answers?
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Not a very dependable one, fer sure.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Renting to a friend is not a problem. Friends pay you what they owe you. If they don't, then they're not your friend. It sounds like you didn't rent to a friend.

Man, do I sound old or what?
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

McNutt wrote:Renting to a friend is not a problem. Friends pay you what they owe you. If they don't, then they're not your friend. It sounds like you didn't rent to a friend.

Man, do I sound old or what?
Nah. Maybe a bit bitter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I came home to a rent check!!!!! I hadn't expected it today, and especially not in full. I guess he asked his dad for help. I still feel like crap, but at least I am feeling like crap and not worrying about bouncing my own checks.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Now don't forget to pet him profusely, while saying "good puppy!"
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

stick it to the man! :D
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
KingB

Post by KingB »

I would have asked for cash. Who knows if his check will actually clear. Could be a stall tactic. I did that back in my really stupid days. :oops:
Currently thinking of something clever.........
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:I came home to a rent check!!!!! I hadn't expected it today, and especially not in full. I guess he asked his dad for help. I still feel like crap, but at least I am feeling like crap and not worrying about bouncing my own checks.
Awesome. Take solace in the fact that you already did this man several favors; you have nothing to feel bad about--you handled the situation with class and respect, IMO.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Cool. At least now you won't have to change your locks.
U2k Da Greate$t

Post by U2k Da Greate$t »

You Did the Right thng. No ONe should be Able to take ADvantage ofYou.
"Possible All things IS if you Believe"
Sunderer

Post by Sunderer »

Listen to Phedis. Go to roomie's bank and cash the check. Go to the bank now. Go directly to the bank. Do not pass "Go."
"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."