Unable to read Email...not simple. Tech Support stumped.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DocDarm

Unable to read Email...not simple. Tech Support stumped.

Post by DocDarm »

This stumped tech support at 1and1.com.

I have an email account through 1and1.com, and have used opera 7's browser to connect through a pop3 protocol to read my email. Worked for years.

Suddenly, I get THIS error when opera's client checks 1and1 for email:

Internal error [Server response:-ERR command not allowed in this state]

Weird. So I go to 1and1's webpage to check my email. I CAN'T! When I put in my name and password, I get "This login name could not be found." Odd. So I go MzDarm's computer, and can log in and check my email without problem.

My computer = can't log into their webmail. Every time I try, I get "This Login name could not be found." But her computer can. I called 1and1 tech support, and the guy could log in to my email on his computer, but I still can't do it from mine. Not from internet explorer, not from opera 7, not from opera 7.54. Tech guy had no idea how to help.

Any ideas?

Falcon NW Althlon, win XP home (software firewall disabled), Updated to service pack 2 a few months ago, belkin router. I have a 2nd 1and1 account I can check without difficulty.

Why can I not even check WEBmail, much less the pop3?

Ideas?

Thanks!

DocDarm
New York City
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Do you have a cookie blocker or strict privacy settings on your PC? When you go to login to that page, do you see an eye symbol with a red & white "do not enter" symbol at the bottom right of your screen? Are you running something like zonealarm that has a cookie blockers? Either one of those can keep you from logging in to a site like that.

Otherwise, clear out your temporary internet files and delete the cookie for that site that's stored on your PC. If that still won't work, we'll escalate your problem. =)
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

since it seems to be a problem only on that one computer (that is, you can access everything from other computers, right?) I'd wonder if there wasn't spyware or somewhere interefering.

Maybe there's a proxy or something odd on that machine?
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Or some sort of filter in the TCP/IP stack.

I'd reinstall the TCP/IP and see if that helps.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds