Home networking question

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Papageno

Home networking question

Post by Papageno »

Greetings, fellow OOers,

I just got an XBox this last week, and whether I end up using Live or XLink Kai, I want to get this puppy hooked up to my DSL connection. Problem is, the XBox and TV are 1) on the other end of the house and 2) on a different floor, so I want to avoid having to route a CAT5 cable of ungodly length all the way down there.

My question is, what are my options? I've heard of home networking setups that use the (in my case fairly modern) house wiring itself for the LAN--do those work well? Another possibility is to get a wireless DSL router/hub, but then I'd have to get some doohicky for the XBox, and I'm afraid of interference.

Finally, there's the "Mohammed coming to the mountain" solution-- bringing the XBox upstairs and getting a VGA adapter for the XBox to feed into my flatscreen CRT. It's pretty crowded up here already though, and I want to avoid that if possible.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You should be ok with wireless unless you're in a huge house or have very thick floors. Interference generally isn't an issue in a 'normal' home. I don't have any direct experience with the power-line networking options, so I can't speak to that.
Creepy_Smell

Post by Creepy_Smell »

I would go wireless.

They are constantly having rebates now so you can get a good router for $40 after rebate. I picked up a Netgear WGR614 802.11g a month or two back and enjoy it greatly for my laptop.

I want to get a wireless adaptor for my xbox but havent purchased one yet. The MS one is $100 and I've seen one by Linksys for about $55. Not sure if there are others or which is best for the price.

While you could run cable I think it would be more expensive, but I am not sure since it depends on the distance you would require. Maybe figure out the cost of wired vs wireless for what you plan to do.

I dont think the phone line networks work well from what I remember hearing.