Corrupt TCP/IP?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DocDarm

Corrupt TCP/IP?

Post by DocDarm »

I had a problem earlier regarding an email client that tech support could not fix. So, I have reinstalled WinXP home. However, I cannot get the computer to recognize the network.

Upon opening NETWORK CONNECTIONS, there are just two Icon. Both are under "LAN or High Speed Internet". One is titled "1394 Connection" and the other is titled "1394 Connection #2". There is no bridge or LAN icon. Running the wizard gives an unspecified error. Help?

DocDarm
New YorK City

edit: the lan light is blinking rapidly in the back of the computer. the other two computers on the same router can access the 'net.

edit; upon typing IPCONFIG in the command window, it just reads back "Windows IP Configuration" with no other data. I suppose that means my LAN connection is disabled. But I cannot access a LAN icon!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, unless you are using some sort of firewire lan adapter, the lack of any hardware showing up here is a definite concern. Does you system properties show a network adapter installed? If not, are you using a built-in or PCI adapter? If it is built-in, make sure it is enabled in BIOS. If you still can't see it, your motherboard is toast. If the lan adapter is the only apparent problem, then go out and get a $20 PCI adapter at the computer store.
DocDarm

Post by DocDarm »

Jeff, You've got Octopus Overlord Mail!
Quaro

Post by Quaro »

Yup, 1394 Connection is a firewire connection. It looks like it's not seeing your LAN card or port. If your port is integrated into the motherboard (not on a card) you probably need to install the drivers for the motherboard.

If you need to get the drivers from the net, maybe you can borrow a USB network adapter from one of the other computers you have?