What Virus Scan\Firewall do you use?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Atalante

What Virus Scan\Firewall do you use?

Post by Atalante »

AVG virus scan - Mainly because its free. Seems ok, and is updated regularly. User interface looks like it was made by\for a 5 year old, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Anyone have any exerience with it?

BlackICE Firewall - Came highly recommended and appears to work A-OK. Turned off application protection though, seemed more hassal than it was worth.

So whats everyone else using and why?
"Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Norton AV. I use it because it was the first one I got and learned to configure. I am currently in my fourth version of it. I don't know that it is the best. What I do know is that after four years of risky activity plus 300+ spam a day, I have not received a single virus - although I have found and quarantined hundreds.

Firewall - I use my router.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Norton Antivirus, Zone Alarm. NAV because I prefer having a big, resourceful company doing the bug hunts than mom and pop, Zone Alarm because there is little I need a desktop firewall to do (my router handles other firewall functions).
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Norton Antivirus - It has always worked flawlessly for me, and the Symantec website is a great resource for any emergency virus issues. I've seen too many report of AVG finding viruses but not being able to clean them, so I haven't really bothered with it except for installing it on my father's PC as a stopgap until he gets something better (which he'll probably never do, but at least he has some protection this way).

Firewall - Sygate personal firewall (free). I used to use Zonealarm, but Sygate has been much more stable with none of the connectivity issues and slow performance that I used to get with Zonealarm.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

P.S. Black-ICE used to get panned because it didn't help much against unauthorized outbound traffic -- don't know if that has been fixed or not.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Norton for Antivirus, still using older edition, may need to upgrade this year.

Sygate PFW for firewall (free edition is fine).
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

No anti-virus on my main rig, AVG on all the others.
Zone Alarm on all.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
crumsteel

Post by crumsteel »

Norton Antivirus just because I am used to it. I recently purchased the 2005 and looks like I may start to shope around next time. To much other stuff installed when all I wanted was a good antivirus.
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

AVG & ZA, plus the linux firewall/router.
More importantly, no Internet Explorer or Outlook in use.
WPD

Post by WPD »

AVG & Sygate
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Avast Antivirus and Sygate Personal Firewall (Free Ed)
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Enough

Re: What Virus Scan\Firewall do you use?

Post by Enough »

Atalante wrote:AVG virus scan - Mainly because its free. Seems ok, and is updated regularly. User interface looks like it was made by\for a 5 year old, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Anyone have any exerience with it?

BlackICE Firewall - Came highly recommended and appears to work A-OK. Turned off application protection though, seemed more hassal than it was worth.

So whats everyone else using and why?
Just as an FYI AVG version 6.0 will no longer be supported after Dec. 31rst. 7.0 came out in November and it doesn't look as much like a five year old made it. Make sure you are using the newest version so you continue to get virus definition updates!

I am trying to decide if I want to switch to Norton Corporate, as I can get a free legit copy for home through work. Is there any reason to switch from AVG to Norton?
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I use ZoneAlarm firewall at home, and until recently, was using Sophos AV (corporate licensing at work allows us to use it at home), but it was a real pain to try to get updates for it. I'm trying out ZoneAlarm AV, but am unable to dlownload the updates for it now because my service keeps dropping in the midst of the download (and it's not a file I can pick off with getright or another downloader).
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

Linux, behind a NAT firewall/router.
Quaro

Post by Quaro »

Any way to turn OFF the resident shield in AVG version 7? You can disable all the scanning features but it's still there. WTF?