Motherboard question - FSB ratings.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Coskesh

Motherboard question - FSB ratings.

Post by Coskesh »

I was looking around and pricing some computer parts for a new system, and while picking out a mother board, I noticed that for similar CPU type and chipsets, different motherboard manufacturers had different FSB speeds. The Gigabyte board I had planned on buying (last 3 systems used Gigabyte MBs and I've been happy with them) FSB rating is 800, where as a Asus one was listed as FSB2000. These are both boards for a 939 pin Athlon 64FX.

Guess I've been ignorant this entire time, didnt' realize you could have different speeds for the same processor. How much of a performance difference does the difference make? Also, I've been hearing alot of talk about the NForce chipset. Does it offer a performance boost versus VIA? I think the Asus uses the Nforce3 Ultra chipset. How are they as MB manufacturer?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's just different terminology

For example, the actual FREQUENCY of Intel's FSB is actually 200 MHz. However, they dump 4 packets of info per clock pulse, so it's counted as 800 MHz FSB.

AMD did the same thing, basically.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

So there is no advantage to 2000 vs 800? I mean 10 packets of info at the same time is better than 4 no?