Local Network and Router

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

KiloOhm

Local Network and Router

Post by KiloOhm »

OK, I got my local network to share across the router but I'm not sure if what I did is "safe".

I had to tell each computer that the router itself is a trusted zone and this has me a little worried. If someone attacks my router (and succeeds) is my whole network now compromised? Was there a better way of doing this?
Rip

Re: Local Network and Router

Post by Rip »

KiloOhm wrote:OK, I got my local network to share across the router but I'm not sure if what I did is "safe".

I had to tell each computer that the router itself is a trusted zone and this has me a little worried. If someone attacks my router (and succeeds) is my whole network now compromised? Was there a better way of doing this?
You should be ok as long as your router is blocking all the ports. If you are going to forward ports from the internet to one of the machines you might want to take additional precautions. If you local network is wireless ensure you don't broadcast your SSID and use WEP.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I have another router question. I got a D-Link router, DI-604, back when I got DSL because somebody warned me of all the horrible things that could happen if I don't have firmware protection, etc.

Well for absolutely no reason, in the middle of the day, my internet connection decided to crap out. Turned out to be the router... I can still get online by just bypassing the router and plugging directly from my DSL modem to my computer. Which I'm doing now.

This isn't the first time the router has fucked me over like this, apropos absolutely NOTHING. I don't know how to deal with this. I stuck a paperclip in the little "reset" thingy to reset it... I went through the "setup wizard" twice on the weird IP-address router interface thingy... but I don't understand half of what it's talking about... I unplugged it and replugged it...

Is there some SOP for dealing with these issues? Why are routers such a hassle? Why are they necessary? Why shouldn't I just plug my damn cable directly from the modem into the computer all the time? Why does everything have to be so goddamn complicated?
Rip

Post by Rip »

bluefugue wrote:I have another router question. I got a D-Link router, DI-604, back when I got DSL because somebody warned me of all the horrible things that could happen if I don't have firmware protection, etc.

Well for absolutely no reason, in the middle of the day, my internet connection decided to crap out. Turned out to be the router... I can still get online by just bypassing the router and plugging directly from my DSL modem to my computer. Which I'm doing now.

This isn't the first time the router has fucked me over like this, apropos absolutely NOTHING. I don't know how to deal with this. I stuck a paperclip in the little "reset" thingy to reset it... I went through the "setup wizard" twice on the weird IP-address router interface thingy... but I don't understand half of what it's talking about... I unplugged it and replugged it...

Is there some SOP for dealing with these issues? Why are routers such a hassle? Why are they necessary? Why shouldn't I just plug my damn cable directly from the modem into the computer all the time? Why does everything have to be so goddamn complicated?
First they are very important. A router gateway provides a better firewall than you are likely to have on your PC and if you don't forward any ports it can provide a good first line of defense against those that would harm your PC.

If you are able to get the browser to connect to it, you probably don't need to reset it. When it messes up do you unplug your DSL modem and router and replug DSL modem first by say 30 seconds? That should be your first step. If it works then you may have a piece wearing out, or in need of firware update. It could also be an issue that your ISP has that is out of your control. For firmware upgrading go to the router manufacturer website. Find and download latest firmware. Save on desktop or somewhere you can find it. Go to the browser page of the router and look for a firware upgrade link. It should allow you to browse you computer for the file. If it's wireless make sure you do this while connected via an ethernet cable.

Also what kind of DSL modem do you have, and who is the ISP? Sometimes the DSL provider supplies a modem with a gateway and you don't need another one. That is the case now with Bellsouth. The give you a Westell Wirespeed and it is a gateway router already. You just need a switch.

Hopefully some of this will help. If not give me some more info on the symptoms of the problem.
— Benjamin Rush
--
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Thanks... I use Verizon DSL and they did give me a Westell Wirespeed as the modem. Not sure what switch you're referring to, though.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Well, I unplugged everything, replugged everything, reset the router, and went through the same setup schmear. Nada -- the internet is connected, but with "limited or no connectivity" thanks to my stupid fucking DI-604 piece of shit.

Why did I spend $50 for a piece of hardware that ACTIVELY PREVENTS me from accessing the internet???? That, when everything is going fine, for NO REASON decides to just stop working?

I don't know what else to do at this point. If the pirates want to come and rape my succulent defenseless computer, well I guess they can knock themselves out. I'm sick of this shit.

The one thing I don't understand about the setup is the "Select Internet Connection Type (WAN)" page. It allows you to chose between Dynamic IP Address, Static IP Address, and PPPoE.

Maybe I screwed up that stage. I went with PPPoE which I think is what I did before, back when I bought the modem. But I don't exactly know what password/user info I was supposed to enter. I went with my Verizon DSL username and password, but it didn't work.

I don't know what to do with the Dynamic/Static options, nor to figure out what my own IP address is. Nor do I know whether any one of these three options is acceptable, or if absolutely only one may be chosen. Why? Because the D-Link installation guide doesn't tell you shit.

So come on, pirates of the world! Do your nasty evil sinful business! I'm just wearing my underwear!
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

So now I am doing the tech support dance via email with D-Link.

GOD I hate this shit.

Anyone know of any other good router brands? Preferably ones where "ease of use" and "not assuming the user is a 1337 networking God" are the watchword?
Rip

Post by Rip »

bluefugue wrote:So now I am doing the tech support dance via email with D-Link.

GOD I hate this shit.

Anyone know of any other good router brands? Preferably ones where "ease of use" and "not assuming the user is a 1337 networking God" are the watchword?
It sounds to me like your Westell is doing the PPPoE so you don't need the Dlink. If you do use it set it to obtain automatically. If it isn't working look at the WAN IP the Dlink gets and see if it get's an IP.

Oh BTW Sorry it's late but what IP address are you getting when you plug into the Westell? If it's 192.168. anything then the Westell is performing NAT and is configured to be a router. First thing tech support will do is get it working without the router and then on your way. They don't support user routers or firewall, well I'm sure with fees :roll:
— Benjamin Rush
--
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

The Verizon tech support person said the modem was DHCP, which she said was "the opposite of PPoE." This is all greek to me.

I ran IPCONFIG in the DOS command line and got an IP address that begins with 4.63... so I guess no, it's not performing NAT. Unless it's performing Nat King Cole and I just can't hear it...

Anyhoo the D-Link tech support email gave me a set of instructions to set up the router... they said I should use the "Dynamic IP Address" and "Clone MAC" (who would want to clone MAC? he's a boorish tennis player) settings, then save the changes, cycle the power on the modem and router, etc. So I went through all that but after I applied "Clone Mac Address" and hit "continue," the web browser was unable to even access the router's 192.168... IP address. Timed out.

So, I seemed to be stalled at the halfway point of this setup. I dunno why, maybe a bad cable or a bad part or something. Still getting a clean LED light in the "WAN" box on the router's front panel.

I just love the sheer arbitrariness of it all. There I am, happily browsing the Web this afternoon, when suddenly for absolutely no reason the router decides to crap out on me.
Rip

Post by Rip »

bluefugue wrote:The Verizon tech support person said the modem was DHCP, which she said was "the opposite of PPoE." This is all greek to me.

I ran IPCONFIG in the DOS command line and got an IP address that begins with 4.63... so I guess no, it's not performing NAT. Unless it's performing Nat King Cole and I just can't hear it...

Anyhoo the D-Link tech support email gave me a set of instructions to set up the router... they said I should use the "Dynamic IP Address" and "Clone MAC" (who would want to clone MAC? he's a boorish tennis player) settings, then save the changes, cycle the power on the modem and router, etc. So I went through all that but after I applied "Clone Mac Address" and hit "continue," the web browser was unable to even access the router's 192.168... IP address. Timed out.

So, I seemed to be stalled at the halfway point of this setup. I dunno why, maybe a bad cable or a bad part or something. Still getting a clean LED light in the "WAN" box on the router's front panel.

I just love the sheer arbitrariness of it all. There I am, happily browsing the Web this afternoon, when suddenly for absolutely no reason the router decides to crap out on me.
I wouldn't think you would need to clone the MAC. Making more sense. They are making the PPPoE connection which basically means logging in for you. Not running NAT and probably not blocking any ports. So that get's to the correct answer of DHCP on the WAN port of your Dlink. The cloning issue is based on the ISP not liking your MAC to change. As long as you power reset your westell when you shift between straight to the PC and behind the router you should be ok. The MAC cloning may be giving you some ARP issues or something. Try to reset power on the Dlink and release and renew your IP when plugged into it. See if it gives you one. If not find that magic lil button and hold her down while unplugging and replugging.

Whew aren't you glad this stuff is easy? :wink:
— Benjamin Rush
--
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I don't fully understand what you wrote, but that may be because it's late and I'm just generally confused. :)

Anyway thanks, I'm sure you've got better things to do than tech support for random dweebs on message boards.

I'll continue to futz with it and see if I can get it to work...

what "magic button" by the way? The little reset hole that you put a paperclip into?
Rip

Post by Rip »

bluefugue wrote:I don't fully understand what you wrote, but that may be because it's late and I'm just generally confused. :)

Anyway thanks, I'm sure you've got better things to do than tech support for random dweebs on message boards.

I'll continue to futz with it and see if I can get it to work...

what "magic button" by the way? The little reset hole that you put a paperclip into?
Yep
— Benjamin Rush
--