My Suse 9.2 Pro review

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

SquireSCA wrote:I deserve the best.
Not particularly. But if you think WMP is "the best", then you're an ass. :)

Winamp pwns.

What I'm saying is that perhaps your method of "fixing" WinXP wasn't the best way to "fix" WinXP, and thus the comparison to SUSE was somewhat invalid.

I would be pissed that their auto downloader FUBAR'd my X server. Being able to fix it relatively easy several hours later would have been a small comfort. But I'm looking for reasons to dislike Linux, and you're not. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

Well, my buddy replied to my experience this way...

"Nice. I agree with you on being able to fix linux as opposed to WinXP. Linux has you learning where everything is. And is straight forward once you get the hang of it.

In windows, you don't know what the hell to fix because they hid it in the registry and filename 30283475347508ewruyhfiwyu486!@@@39874.dat in some folder equally hideous."

He has a point. When Windows breaks, what's the solution? You insert your XP disc and reinstall over itself, which overwrites a lot of stuff and all that. Doable, but hardly a quick fix.

As I learn Linux, I do see where things are, and there are commands that you run and when something does not load, it basically tells you what the problem is.

In Windows, if some part of the kernel gets borked or corrupted, it is not like you can boot into a command prompt and recompile the particular module with a single command...

Hell, I even stumbled on a command line version of YAST that runs through the command shell using ANSI graphics. So I was actually able to boot into the console when the GUI failed to load, and I typed YAST and it loaded a crude graphic utility that took me onto the net to Suse's FTP site and I was able to select, download and install the new kernel source so that I could recompile my NVidia drivers with this updated kernel and boot into the GUI.

No matter how you slice it, that kind of power is kinda cool. But like anything else, you have to learn it...
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

He has a point. When Windows breaks, what's the solution? You insert your XP disc and reinstall over itself, which overwrites a lot of stuff and all that. Doable, but hardly a quick fix.
The only time I've ever had to reinstall WinXP to fix something was when I changed every piece of hardware in my system except the hard drive and didn't want to do a fresh install.

I've certainly never had to do a reinstall to fix Windows Media Player. Maybe I am just the shizzle because I know how to navigate the Registry to find what I want, I don't know.

As I learn Linux, I do see where things are, and there are commands that you run and when something does not load, it basically tells you what the problem is.
You're right, "> int.14: soft raid" and a system hang is a far more descriptive way to deal with problems. :)

In Windows, if some part of the kernel gets borked or corrupted, it is not like you can boot into a command prompt and recompile the particular module with a single command...
While true, I've never had the Windows kernel get borked (and likely neither have you).

I typed YAST and it loaded a crude graphic utility that took me onto the net to Suse's FTP site and I was able to select, download and install the new kernel source so that I could recompile my NVidia drivers with this updated kernel and boot into the GUI.
I guess that's where you and I part company. There won't ever be a day where I want to boot into an ANSI graphics utility to download new source code for a kernel to recompile my video drivers that got FUBAR'd by a kernel update so that I could boot back to the GUI.

I suppose it's nice that you have this option when your automatic update does this to you - but I'll take the OS that has never put me in a position to NEED to boot into an ANSI graphics utility to download new source code for the kernel to recompile my video drivers that got FUBAR'd by a kernel update. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
SquireSCA

Post by SquireSCA »

You know, for a professional programmer, you sure are adverse to learning a few commands...

If I can do it, so can you. Quit yer bitchin...