WoW sightings (and Pirates!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Tareeq

WoW sightings (and Pirates!)

Post by Tareeq »

There are dozens of copies of World of Warcraft sitting in the back room at the EBGames at Hope Valley Crossing in Durham North Carolina.

They cannot sell them until 10am tomorrow. I asked the manager and he said the EBGames fired a few managers for pre-selling some other game.

There are also some copies of Pirates! sitting there too. If they're in Durham, they're everywhere else too. We get everything last.

(Mods. Perhaps we need a FAQ about where to post this sort of thing, or a somewhat more freewheeling system, but move this thread wherever it belongs. I do not understand some of the finer gradations of the gaming section rules, though I read complex insurance policies and related contracts for a living. Currently his thread only makes sense here. Tomorrow it will belong (by my lights) in PC Games by Title. This parenthetical belongs in the meta-forum. And so on and so forth.)
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I just got an email from EBGames that my preorder of Pirates! (the DVD "special" version) is in the mail... here's hoping it gets here tomorrow!
The Meal

Re: WoW sightings (and Pirates!)

Post by The Meal »

Tareeq wrote:There are dozens of copies of World of Warcraft sitting in the back room at the EBGames at Hope Valley Crossing in Durham North Carolina.

They cannot sell them until 10am tomorrow. I asked the manager and he said the EBGames fired a few managers for pre-selling some other game.

There are also some copies of Pirates! sitting there too. If they're in Durham, they're everywhere else too. We get everything last.

(Mods. Perhaps we need a FAQ about where to post this sort of thing, or a somewhat more freewheeling system, but move this thread wherever it belongs. I do not understand some of the finer gradations of the gaming section rules, though I read complex insurance policies and related contracts for a living. Currently his thread only makes sense here. Tomorrow it will belong (by my lights) in PC Games by Title. This parenthetical belongs in the meta-forum. And so on and so forth.)
- Threads/Articles are placed by content in the "alpha" post (whichever post originates the thread). Conversation that follows does not cause a thread to get moved.
- Threads about multiple games or gaming in general go in the PC Games in General forum. Accordingly this thread is about to be moved over there.
- Threads about single games go into either PC Games by Title or Unreleased Games.
- The dividing line for which of those two forums a thread belongs in is whether the game is available for gamers (on the shelves, available for download and playing, etc.).

Now there are boatloads of grey areas. Typically if a thread falls into a grey area, we tend to leave it where it originated (if it's in one of many possible places) or if it's not where it belongs in the first place (say you had posted this thread in Multiplayer Gaming), then where we think it'd best fit.

If folks want to initiate dialog about whether this policy works or not, then the optimal solution for that would be to create a new thread in the Metaforum. Folks are welcome to continue discussing this (or any other aspect of) policy in this thread, of course, but based on the subject line many folks who have feelings on the topic are unlikely to even know this conversation is happening.

~Neal
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Why fire people for selling WoW early? No one can log into the game until Blizzard opens up the servers. And don't thousands of beta testers already have WoW installed on their computer. Stupid EB.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: WoW sightings (and Pirates!)

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Tareeq wrote: I asked the manager and he said the EBGames fired a few managers for pre-selling some other game.
That would be Half-Life 2. With Steam authentication, they knew exactly how many copies were sold early and who had them. It probably wasn't hard to track down where. I'm sure WoW is the same way.

Pirates! you might be able to sweet talk out of the store. :twisted:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

*sigh* I was just told my copy of Pirates! won't be in until tomorrow now. Damn it! Home alone today too, which would have made it easy to sneak home and install. Oh well.
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

I picked up my copy of WoW at EB near my work (Downingtown, PA) today. It wasn't on the shelves, and when I asked for it, the sales guy kind of gave me an attitude for some reason. Maybe he thought I was some kind of n00b instead of a gaming veteran. :wink: He said that they only received 36 copies and that 33 had been sold by the time I got there at noon. I was #34. :)
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

CompUSA and Gamestop both have Pirates! and WOW!

(In Denver...)