Which First Person Shooter?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

pad152

Which First Person Shooter?

Post by pad152 »

Which First Person Shooter ? I'm looking for recommedation & comments on non-online multiplay.

1. Medal of Honor PA (as good as the original?)
2. Farcry (still slow and buggy?)
3. Call of Duty (too short without the EP?)
st_dysan

Post by st_dysan »

I played the demo to Farcry....can't comment on the full game..but didn't like the demo...played both MoH ans COD...loved CoD...and the expansion is incredible..MoH is very, very good..but the ambience of CoD is impeccible...Buy CoD then buy MoH...IMHO
The Saint
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have played and finished all three. I never thought Far Cry was slow and/or buggy - your PC might.

If you're up for WW2 fun, MoH or Call of Duty will suffice. Though they're not terribly original - at least Far Cry didn't feel like more of the same to me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
KiloOhm

Re: Which First Person Shooter?

Post by KiloOhm »

pad152 wrote:Which First Person Shooter ? I'm looking for recommedation & comments on non-online multiplay.

1. Medal of Honor PA (as good as the original?)
2. Farcry (still slow and buggy?)
3. Call of Duty (too short without the EP?)
Out of those three (haven't playe HoH PA) I would go with CoD + expansion (can get it for under $50 I'm sure). Awesome Awesome game and multiplayer is a blast. It also runs very well on medium systems (I played it on a ti4200 Athlon 1.4G system). If you have a beefy system it looks very good. The CoD weapons *feel* great! It's just such an intense game, one of the few FPSs I've played through twice, and I will probably do it a third time. It is relatively short though...

I'm playing farcry right now and I'd say it's a notch below CoD. It has awesome graphics (most realistic jungle FPS I've ever seen) and the AI is passable (playing at one level below the hardest) but something doesn't *feel* right about it to me for some reason. I think it's the weapons, they don't feel real. I think it's their sound and looks. There is one thing in farcry that I think is a bug; when someone get's close to me and fires their weapon the game pauses for a second and freaks out (I change directions). Then all is well. I think there is a sound driver issue with this game (no other games are giving me sound problems).
docvego

Post by docvego »

I've playing CoD, Farcry and a demo of MOHA PA. Farcry was fun, and a pretty long game from what I remember. It was still missing something that didn't quite feel 'real' about it, pretty much with what KiloOhm said.

CoD was a lot of fun, if you're into stuff like Private Ryan & Band of Brothers, you'll really enjoy CoD. It really puts you into the environment. Multiplayer for CoD is also a lot of fun.

MoHa PA, I wasn't too fond of for some reason.

Regardless, all of these games have demos available:

Call of Duty Demo

FarCry Demo

MOHPA Demo
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

CoD single player was a lot like the Medal of Honor series, but with its own flavor. I liked it, but not all that much. It had the intensity of the Allied Assault Normandy level. Every single level played like that. You were always in some outgunned, outnumbered, ultra-cinematic battle, with no breathing space in between. It really, really needed better pacing - a breath of fresh air between the high-intensity sections.

Far Cry had a better variety of situations, indoor and outdoor, fast and slow. I didn't have any stability problems, and those problems that did bother people have been patched by now. It does, however, require a fairly decent system. I played it on a 2.17GHz/9700 Pro system, and found myself having to lower my resolution and some of the settings.

Playing the demos sounds like a good recommendation. The Call of Duty demo was a very good example of the full game. The Far Cry demo stank - it ran poorly, and they chose entirely te wrong level to let you try (it was a later level, and you really needed to have learned some of the mechanics before playing it.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I've played all 3 and would recommend FarCry. It ran great all the way through for me, and I recommend it primarily because it was the least linear, the most replayabilty, and the most immersive of all those. But really, you can't go wrong with any of those. Enjoyed them all.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

From the first post, are you looking for which game would be the best for LAN gaming or single player?
knob

Post by knob »

I'd recommend Far Cry. MoH was just a disappointment to me. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but it felt overhyped. I was so excited to get to the Omaha Beach level that level raved about....And I really didn't enjoy it at all.

CoD (Along with MoH) just felt way too scripted. Scripting isn't fun when that's the only thing the game has to run on.

Far Cry felt more natural and it gave you more ways to complete a mission.

But, with HL2 out, why would you even bother with those three? =p
If I had a sig, would you read it?