'Mercenary' game recommendations?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zekester

'Mercenary' game recommendations?

Post by Zekester »

Anyone catch that History Channel show on mercenaries?

It definately got me in the mood to play a game like it, so what are some of the better ones?
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
KingB

Post by KingB »

Is it the same one about the group of private soldiers over in Africa that wiped out the entire resistence and were then later told by the U.N. to get out of the country?
Currently thinking of something clever.........
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

wasn't there a movie about that with Christopher Walken?
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

KingB wrote:Is it the same one about the group of private soldiers over in Africa that wiped out the entire resistence and were then later told by the U.N. to get out of the country?
Yup.
That private group was about 100 strong, and within a matter of months retook just about the entire country being run by a 10,000-strong army of rebels.

Incredible.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
is_dead

Post by is_dead »

The only one that comes to mind is Freelancer. Good game and graphics, and you play the role of a mercenary. However its space sim / sci fi so not really a historical or real world cotext. Pirates might also be considered a mercenary game when that comes out. I can't think of any FPSs though.
is_dead
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

There's Jagged Alliance 2 and Shadow Company: Left for Dead.
Jagged Alliance is one of the best games ever made, hands down.
Shadow Company is okay.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

But no FPS's?

That's odd, for how many there are out. :?:
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. 8)

What, you say the Pentagon doesn't have mechs? You sure about that... ;)
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zekester wrote:But no FPS's?

That's odd, for how many there are out. :?:
Soldier of Fortune II, of course, but that is more an action game than anything else.

Freedom Fighters might suit the bill.

My best suggestion, though, is Operation Flashpoint: Resisitance. You play a former Special Operations soldier who retires to a small island nation. The nation is invaded and overrun, and you end up leading the resistance, generally small squads of men, through a variety of missions. Very realistic, very gritty.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Eduardo X wrote:There's Jagged Alliance 2 and Shadow Company: Left for Dead.
Jagged Alliance is one of the best games ever made, hands down.
Shadow Company is okay.
I finally bought this, $6 bucks pre-owned at EB... mucked around a little, looks like a pretty deep game. Unfortunately no manual came with the version I bought (just jewelcase) but the tutorial/help stuff seems pretty comprehensive and I'm sure there is stuff available on the web as well.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Operation Flashpoint: Resisitance. You play a former Special Operations soldier who retires to a small island nation. The nation is invaded and overrun, and you end up leading the resistance, generally small squads of men, through a variety of missions. Very realistic, very gritty.
Hmmm, is this an add-on to OF?

Of course, OF is one of the few games that I don't have in my 400+ collection :x
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

This is scary Zeke. I too have roughly 450 in my collection. :)

On topic: I can vouch for Operation Flashpoint and the add-ons. I absolutely loved the open-ended design of the missions. Hell, when I bought the original game, I spent literally hours playing and re-playing the first mission, finding different ways to beat it using different strategies each time. The graphics are really dated and kinda glitchy, but I was okay with that since the gameplay rocked. One of my all-time favorites.

Anyway, I'd recommend the edition that has the original game and add-ons all in one box. It's really cheap now, like $20. I can't remember what it's called since I did it the hard way, one box at a time.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Giles Habibula wrote: The graphics are really dated and kinda glitchy, but I was okay with that since the gameplay rocked. One of my all-time favorites.

Anyway, I'd recommend the edition that has the original game and add-ons all in one box. It's really cheap now, like $20. I can't remember what it's called since I did it the hard way, one box at a time.
Game of the Year edition has OpFlash plus both expansions (Red Hammer and Resistance).

The graphics looked a bit dated when they were first released, but it is really a matter of perspective. They're really a trade off - they lack a bit in detail, but they model an entire miles-wide island all at once. You can get up someplace high and see for miles and miles - further than the best vistas in Far Cry. Also, to be honest, while the game is played from a first person perspective, it isn't really an FPS - it is more of a ground-forces simulator. Anyway, if you get Resistance, it will bump the graphics up considerably.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

I'm off to track down a copy of this game then!

Thanks all.
KingB

Post by KingB »

Zekester wrote:
KingB wrote:Is it the same one about the group of private soldiers over in Africa that wiped out the entire resistence and were then later told by the U.N. to get out of the country?
Yup.
That private group was about 100 strong, and within a matter of months retook just about the entire country being run by a 10,000-strong army of rebels.

Incredible.
That show just got me all warm and fuzzy inside. I love how an army of 100 wiped out the army of 10,000 but then the U.N. step in with 17,000 and couldnt hold it under control. Priceless if you ask me. :D
Currently thinking of something clever.........
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

Zekester wrote:I'm off to track down a copy of this game then!

Thanks all.
Try Target. Gold Edition has been seen on the clearance racks for $10.
(HBZ)
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Thanks Hamster.

I guess if I really wanted to recreate what happened in Africa, I could just play in GOD mode :P
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Wouldn't you know it.....I went to 5 different stores today looking for OF Resistance, and no one had it :x
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Thanks Blackhawk, but I can't get past their home page unless I absolutely accept cookies.

Which I absolutely won't do :wink:
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

If it concerns you, you can always delete the cookies immediately after your visit.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.