What's the haps and why?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

LordMortis

What's the haps and why?

Post by LordMortis »

It might be time to break down and get a game or two for Thanksgiving. I upgraded a chunk of machine at home due to continuing hardware problems and now it's begging me for another game.

I can't even remember the last one I bought. I remember looking for RailRoad Tycoon III and it being to expensive.

What's the best of the current styles of games and why? What's come down in price and is probably worth the money from what wasn't before? I think my last new game was the RTS game that played stategically like Risk with cards and everything. Age of something or another. (came out the same time as Age of Mythology) I played it once, enjoyed it and put it away.

Aside from that I keep going back to old stand bys, but the bug is hitting me right now.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

My favorite strategy of recent times, indeed of the past 5+ years, is Rome Total War.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Since you seem to like RTS, and war strategy (Risk); why not pick up a copy of Rome: Total War. I don't think you will be disappointed.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have one of the Total War games. It's western Europe. How pathetic is it that I can even remember the names of things that I dropped real money on? The RTS part of it wasn't very intuitive for me and I consistantly got my ass kicked. I never seemed to be able to do what I wanted to. What did R:TW bring to the table?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sounds like you are a $20 gamer like me...heh. Here is what I have found lately. Great games when they came out, still great today, just half the price (or less).:

Morrowind GOTY edition: $20
Jedi Outcast: $20 or less probably
No One Lives Forever 2 $9
Warcraft III $20 or less
XIII: $10
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2: $10
Civ 3 $10 (you need Conquests expansion too IMO)
Il-2 Sturmovik: around $10
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

LordMortis wrote:I have one of the Total War games. It's western Europe. How pathetic is it that I can even remember the names of things that I dropped real money on? The RTS part of it wasn't very intuitive for me and I consistantly got my ass kicked. I never seemed to be able to do what I wanted to. What did R:TW bring to the table?
You've got Medieval: Total War which is actually pretty much the entire European continent, not just the west. :)

If you go back a few weeks you should find all sorts of Rome threads in the Games by Title forum. I'd recommend this more than anything right now but if Medieval didn't work for you this one may not either (though it is a big improvement over M:TW).

Another RTS that's going good right now is Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War but that one is really all about the multiplayer.

The game you're thinking of that came out the same time as Age of Mythology is Rise of Nations. You can always go back to playing that, it's a real good game.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

You could probably get Railroad Tycoon III for $19.99 just about anywhere right now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I saw R:TW for $50 this weekend and took a pass for the moment. I didn't see RRT III as all much less for under $20.00. I am sure I would have picked it up if I had.