We all got it comin', kid

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Crux

We all got it comin', kid

Post by Crux »

Or "Why hasn't anyone made a really good western first-person-shooter?

I mean think about the cool-assed maps and settings, the guns, the strategy of using six-shooters and rifles that don't have 10x scopes on them. Holy crap that would be some serious fun.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd absolutely love one. Set it in, oh, 1885. A mix of Civil War black powder and breechloaders, cartridge rifles, pistols - that'd be a nice change. As long as it doesn't have anyone wearing trench coats in the Arizona desert when it is 105 degrees.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

"Outlaws" was really good (at least, I thought so), but it's quite old now. And even with the patch to improve the graphics (make them more 3d, I think), it's still very flat looking.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Would the average 12 year old gamer bear the reload time on a navy black powder revolver?

I would enjoy it (I think) but it would have a diffrent pace then the average FPS.

-Yo

Ps - Locate and read (if you can) Pistol Pete - Veteran of the Old West by Frank Eaton (ISBN: 0934188017). Supposed to be true, it's better then anything Mr. Eastwood has done yet.

Pps - That's our game setting: 1860s/70s Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. You are looking for the men who shot your Pa.
raydude

Post by raydude »

That would look pretty cool if we set it in the age before smokeless powder is invented. Then the grey smoke coming from the bushes would give away the camper's position :).
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I was pretty excited to play Dead Red Revolver earlier this year, but my lack of a console stopped that excitment pretty quick.
Also, Dead Man's Hand was a budget Western Shooter.
I know because I want one as well. I'm trying to track down Outlaws right now.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Man, I've thought this same thing - I thought the coolest would be a Max Payne style 3rd person shooter in the old west with cool moves and stuff...

How could that not be an instant success?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My concern was that if they did make one, it would end up either being anime-inspired, or it would be filled cool-talking, high-attitude characters that felt like they fell out of LA instead of Kansas.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
knob

Post by knob »

Yeah, I can easily see that. EA's next game: Battlefield 1885

I think it'd definitely be a fun game to look into if anyone ever made it.

Or even going back farther to a bow and arrow type game.

I think a Hunting and Gathering type FPS could be fun. Like Indian tribes -- Go to war against other tribes, collect food, yadda yadda, all that stuff.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Oh man, I luved me some Outlaws way back when. The graphics are beyond primitive in this day and age but some of those levels were outstandingly fun. I could clear out that town over and over again.

Hmmm, I need to find a Glide wrapper and install this again. Anyone tried this on WinXP?
Black Lives Matter
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

What Bad demographic said.

Maybe you should change the question to "Why hasn't anyone made a good western FPS since 'Outlaws'?"

Of course "Outlaws" was back in the day that Lucas Arts was almost a buy-before-you-even-see-it company.

X-Wing/Tie Fighter series, Monkey Island, SWOTF.....
CSL

Post by CSL »

Turn the final gunfight in Open Range into a game and i'll be a happy gamer.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

CSL wrote:Turn the final gunfight in Open Range into a game and i'll be a happy gamer.
I hated everything about Open Range once they got to town.
Including the gunfight, which was just stupid.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

Take a look at Dead Man's Hand. Its a western where you play as an ex-outlaw shot in the back by his gang and bent on revenge.

It may not be deep but it has great graphics, sound, and some neat old guns to play with. Think its about 25 missions long. Each mission set in a different wild west local.

I had fun with it. Its an fps, and a bargain priced game. Think its worth a look for those of us who like westerns. I don't regret the purchase.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Arnold Yim

Post by Arnold Yim »

Eh, I was never into the wild west, except for certain movies(Wyatt Erp, Open Range, etc.).

Ever slightly off topic, the closest thing to a "slow" paced FPS that I play is the third party mod for Half Life, Battlegrounds @ http://www.bgmod.com/

Takes place during the Revolutionary War. Similar to Day of Defeat, but it takes 7 seconds to reload! :-) And bayonet/dagger/saber melee is at least 25% of a battle, usually more.

I am okay with melee, but only when I play with bots. . . dialup kills accuracy :-(
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How sweet would it be to have a shootout at 20 paces...
"Draw, scumbag!"
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

What Ripstar said.

Nothing since can even come close to "Outlaws", so if you've got a machine that'll run it and can track down a copy, I'd say the experience is well worth the price of admission.

"Dead Man's Hand" got totally trashed in one of the magazine reviews I read. I thought they were way too harsh on the game. It was quite linear, which I hated and which was its worst fault, but that didn't stop me from finishing the game and having a lot of fun doing so. Some really great settings (I was particularly fond of a level set in a western town with a railroad track curving through it toward the end of the game--beautiful setting), and some decent firefights. Not great, but...
edit: I should add that DMH also was pretty darn lengthy for a budget title, with 30-some levels (I'm thinking 34 or 36), some short, some long, but overall a fairly long game. Also, that little poker game between levels you could play to increase your ammo was a neat idea I thought and it played really well. I sucked at it, but ocassionally I did win, and it was a fun diversion between getting shot at.

I give Outlaws a 97%
I give Dead Man's Hand a 80%

Anyone tried "Western Outlaw"? It was another budget game released about the same time as DMH. I did find a copy somewhere online, but now I can't seem to locate the damn thing here in my mess.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

An RPG in this era would be fun too. You'd have quests like becoming a bountie hunter, or sheriff of a town, or a scout for the army, or leading a wagon train of migrants. Lots of fun stuff they could do with this.

Grifman
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Leading a wagontrain of migrants? Sounds like Oregon Trail. :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Wasn't "Gods and Generals",a game of the same name as the movie,a first person civil war shooter?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

dbt1949 wrote:Wasn't "Gods and Generals",a game of the same name as the movie,a first person civil war shooter?
Yes, but it was supposed to be so horribly broken that the enemy AI would literally just stand there until you killed them somehow. Hell, even the screenshots on the cover looked pretty hideous. 'Course these kinds of problems have never prevented me from enjoying games before.

I'm an FPS collector and try to buy them all eventually, but I'm waiting on this one til it hits a buck. :) Now watch---It'll become a collector's item and be worth a fortune because it was tied to the movie. Actually, I haven't seen a copy around in about a year.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

As long as it doesn't have anyone wearing trench coats in the Arizona desert when it is 105 degrees.
You know, that has always struck me as a silly thing to do.

And I'd totally be up for a good western FPS.
username

Post by username »

How about Mad Dog McCree? It's in the west...and you shoot...and...

<username ducks to avoid flying computer monitors>
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I would love an Old West RPG.

How come no one uses this setting? Oh wait, they're too busy with World War II and "Aliens Have Taken Over The Earth, Now It's Your Turn."
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

[quote]How about Mad Dog McCree? It's in the west...and you shoot...and[quote]

You are nuts.........Mad Dog got one of the lowest ratings of all time, about 6% and it only got that cuz you could use the corner of the box to flick the lint out of your navel.

And yes I know you were joking. dead Man's hand though is actually not bad, surprized nobody seems to have even heard of it. :shock:
You can run, but you'll just die tired.