EB Games In-Store Pickup for Pre-Orders

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Gedd
Technical Admin

EB Games In-Store Pickup for Pre-Orders

Post by Gedd »

Has anyone pre-ordered anything from EB Games for In-Store pickup? I'm considering doing so for World of Warcraft, but I don't have any real pre-order or in-store pickup experience. Anyone have any problems with it or other experiences?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Here's how it works. You go to the site, pick your game, and pick the store. The site will ask for a credit card number, but doesn't charge you anything immediately, and then prints out a confirmation sheet.

In the next day or so, your order gets downloaded to the store, where it shows up in their computer like any other preorder, except that there's a "W" icon next to it to show it's a web order, and there's no deposit down. When the game comes in, they should treat it like a normal order, pull a copy aside, give you a call, etc. When you go to pick it up, you bring either the confirmation sheet or an ID, pay for the game, and off you go. If you don't pick the game up after a certain amount of time, your card gets charged the $5 deposit fee. This is just to prevent people from preordering every game that comes out and never picking them up.

I've never had anyone report a problem with using this method. The only thing you want to watch out for is if there's a pre-order goodie. They've just changed it so the stores get a list of new web orders in the morning, so they can hold the goodie, but it's usually safer for you to call the store and check on the availability of the goodie, and get them to hold it for you, since they've got enough to keep track of as it is.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Ok, just tried to make a dry run on it, but the option to do in-store pickup isn't showing up. I'm either missing something or it isn't available for the WoW CE.

Ah, I see..it's available for the regular edition, but not the CE. Bummer.
crumsteel

Post by crumsteel »

I tried this once and it was a bad experience. I order the game (MK: Deception) on line and picked the store I wanted. When the release day of the game came I had not heard anything from the store or by email.
So I figured why not run by the store when I get out of work. I get to the store, the game is in and they do not have a pre order for me and tell me since I did it online I will have to call customer service, there is nothing they can do. Normally I would just get a copy they have, but I ordered the collectors edition and there is only enough copies for preorders.
I call customer service and they have no record of my preorder. After giving them confirm numbers and sending emails customer service tells me the same thing, nothing they can do.
By this time I am pretty po'd and it's the next day. So I print the confirmation and go to the store and explain what is happening, this time it was someone different. They said they would look in to it and get back to. To wrap the story up and get me back to work, the second guy I talked to at the store actually did some work and tracked me down a copy of the collectors edition.

Also I believe that not all games can be picked up in store.
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I was able to pick up Half Life 2 CE just fine using this procedure, but I was a bit leary of it. I'm not sure if I will do it again or not.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Since I couldn't pre-order the CE, I went ahead and ran down to the local EB and pre-ordered the old fashioned way. They even had a box with the web bonus novel in it...
Vesper

Post by Vesper »

I've used this method twice now, and had great success both times. Plan on using it again.