Xbox question

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kelric

Xbox question

Post by Kelric »

With Christmas coming up and Halo 2 out, I'm actually contemplating getting my first console since the Dreamcast first came out (man I sunk a lot of hours into one game, some football one, with that system - I owned....one game (I think)). My question is though, when is the next generation of the Xbox supposed to be coming out? If it's two or three years down the line, I've got no problem picking up an Xbox now. If it's coming out in 2005 or very early 2006, I might as well wait.

Edit - Of course the eternal question is...Xbox or PS2? ;)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

So I guess I shouldn't get a console? Got it. :P

Aside from Halo 2 what else is there for Xbox?
Koz

Post by Koz »

I'm actually in a similar dilemma, debating between XBox and PS2. I love the PS2-style RPGs like Final Fantasy and such, but there's a lot of good stuff out for XBox, including the upcoming Jade Empire from Bioware.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I really like my playstation 2, though I usually hate consoles.
I got it for Katamari Damacy, and I'm staying with it for so many other games. The sheer quantity of games is astounding, and the way you can find them working and used for CHEAP is great.
However, the XBox has much better modding potential, and I really wish I could have that with my PS2. If I could make my own VCDs to play on my PS2, I would want nothing else, ever.
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've owned more consoles than I care to admit. But over the past few years I thought I was beyond them and had no desire to get another one (the Playstation was the last one I bought). I was recently given an Xbox and had no idea that I would like it as much as I do. I spent the extra $40 to make it a DVD player for my house.

I've played a couple Tony Hawk games and a Mortal Kombat game. I enjoyed both. But what hooked me is the $19.99 ESPN NFL 2K5 football game. It's great.

I have no experience with the PS2. I believe it functions as a DVD player without the additional kit, but it doesn't have a hard drive and requires memory cards. The XBox has better hardware too, from what I recall.
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

New X-Box is slated for fall of 2005 with the new PS and Nintendo rig the following year. It's a tad soon but they want the jump on the next gen this time around.

Great games for X-Box (standard IMHO disclaimer) but not necessarily exclusive:
X-Box Live! (it's undescriably awesome and smooth, really)
Beyond Good & Evil
Burnout 3
Chronicles of Riddick
Crimson Skies
Halo / Halo 2
MechAssault (new one looks good too)
Project Gotham Racing 2
Prince of Persia SoT / WW
Rainbow 6 III / Black Arrow (plays different than the PC version)
KOTOR / KOTOR 2

Downside:
not many RPGs
Koz

Post by Koz »

Is it known if the new X-Box will be backwards compatible?
jlu

Post by jlu »

The last I knew, there was a lot of conflicting information as to XBox 2's backwards compatibility. I've heard yes and no on that.