ram question....

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

acidflesh

ram question....

Post by acidflesh »

I know this is something that I should know but I dont. When I order ram, i need 2 "sets" correct? So if I order from newegg then I need to order 2 as opposed to 1, right?

Im looking to add 512 to my 256 and I just wanted to know the correct way to do it. So I should order 2 sets of 256 is what Ive heard. Sorry for the rambling post but its late and Im at work. Damn graveyard shift....

AF
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

No you don't

You only want a "matching pair" if your mainboard supports "dual channel" memory and you want to use that feature (which will gain you a couple more percentage points in memory performance). And even then it's not strictly required, Supposedly any identical-spec DIMMs will work fine in dual channel, but there's a lot of "premium" matched sets out there being sold specifically for dual channel boards.
acidflesh

Post by acidflesh »

Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how little I know about my computer. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 but Im not sure if it supports dual-channel ram. Im glad I posted on here because I was literally seconds away from making my order.

Is there an easy way for me to find out what my system needs? Also, can I expect a decent increase in performance? I have a p4 2.25 with 256 ram and a Ti4600. Thanks again for the advice....
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Go to crucual.com and use their memory wizard. It will tell you what kind you need and if you need matched pairs or not, based on the make and model you enter.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Actually if he has rambus memory he would need to put it in pairs.
I think most if not all computers use good old ddr now though. Definatly make sure before you buy anything though.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Actually I just looked up your computer and it does look like it uses Rdram....Doublecheck that because I'm not really sure how Dell customizes there computers and stuff. I always just build my own.