[movie 2024] Mad Max Furiosa....Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth, George Miller

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: [movie 2024] Mad Max Furiosa....Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth, George Miller

Post by AWS260 »

I really enjoyed Furiosa. Not as much as Fury Road, which was a real "holy shit" moment, but it's a strong action film with great worldbuilding. Like Fury Road, this is one to see in a theater with great sound.

The dialogue feels more like the old Mad Max movies and less like Fury Road's, which makes you realize that even by the standards of Mad Max, Immortan Joe's society is really weird.

Chris Hemsworth and Anya Taylor-Joy are both excellent. Their performances contrast in really effective ways. I thought I would miss Charlize Theron, but Taylor-Joy's performance fits seamlessly with Theron's. I 100% believe that the Furiosa at the end of this movie is the exact same person as the Furiosa from Fury Road.

Given Miller's age, I expect that this will be the last Mad Max movie we get. If that's the case, he's going out on a high point, even if it's not the mountaintop that was Fury Road.
Brian

Re: [movie 2024] Mad Max Furiosa....Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth, George Miller

Post by Brian »

One of the things that always grounded the Mad Max movies for me was that all of the stunts and effects were done in camera and practical.
This iteration had a LOT of CGI war-boy death that was a bit distracting for me.

That said, we thoroughly enjoyed it but it was not the non-stop thrill ride that Fury Road was. Which is fine, we already have that movie and it's called Fury Road.
Spoiler:
Of the various possible endings they showed, my wife preferred the direct, simple method of the first one. I actually enjoyed the final one and couldn't resist referring to the tree as "Dick Harold." (Or "Dick Bob" if you want to be pedantic since that was the name of the tree)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Brian wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:21 pm
Spoiler:
Of the various possible endings they showed, my wife preferred the direct, simple method of the first one. I actually enjoyed the final one and couldn't resist referring to the tree as "Dick Harold." (Or "Dick Bob" if you want to be pedantic since that was the name of the tree)
one of the things i didn't get when i was younger that i now really like about this series is the mythology angle - how there's no 'this actually happened, but here's 'my' idea of what happened'. (which is why the movies don't work as a traditional series of sequels, but various reimaginings over and over again)

and so having actors from previous movies playing different roles in later films works really well this way
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yeah, George Miller has stated that there isn't a strict timeline and that all of the movies represent somebody retelling a story that has been handed down through time.
That's why mixed timelines and recurring faces happen. It's the mind of the listener (viewer) of the story filling in the blanks from their own experiences.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Time past count he done the tell.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zarathud, Hepcat and I saw this last night.
My short review.

Best George Miller movie since Babe 2 Pig in the City!
It's good, but not as good as Fury Road. That's a very high bar though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I enjoyed it. As we discussed on the ride back, Miller never really has a story in these movies. It's all about the spectacle, the world building, the (absolutely amazing) cinematography. But there's a reason his films don't normally have a lot of dialogue.

It's not as good as Fury Road, but for me I think that's primarily because Fury Road was a roller coaster ride with no stops. I was exhausted after seeing it. Furiosa is a little less frenetic and I think those quieter moments are where Miller kind of falters.

Overall I still think it's one of the better films I've seen this year...even if Archinerd refused my suggestion of purchasing 128 boxes of milk duds and then forming one giant milk dud to both sit upon and eat from during the 2 1/2 hour event.

Also, I question our intelligence in getting Indian food right before.
Now depoliticized.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Archinerd wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:24 am
Best George Miller movie since Babe 2 Pig in the City!
It's good, but not as good as Fury Road.
you might want to double check your filmography dates...

1995 Babe
1998 Babe: Pig in the City
2006 Happy Feet
2011 Happy Feet Two
2015 Mad Max: Fury Road
2022 Three Thousand Years of Longing
2024 Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

(and i keep forgetting George Miller did... Happy Feet... ONE AND TWO)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

That was just a bit of a joke.
But I do genuinely like the first 2 Babe movies.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, for some reason I didn’t think Fury Road was almost 10 years old. Feels like i just saw it a few years ago. :shock:
Now depoliticized.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:02 am Wow, for some reason I didn’t think Fury Road was almost 10 years old. Feels like i just saw it a few years ago. :shock:
Same. I then played the game. Doesn't seem long ago at all.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I thought this was really good. Both the leads were very good, if not great in their roles. It was a slow burn but once it turned the gas on, it got moving quick. The movie also showed the advantages and disadvantages of the stealth sniper build :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

Brian wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:09 pm That's why mixed timelines and recurring faces happen. It's the mind of the listener (viewer) of the story filling in the blanks from their own experiences.
I know ROAD WARRIOR's Gyro Captain actor re-appears in THUNDERDOME as a flyer who seems to be a different character, and I know MAD MAX's Toecutter actor plays Immortan Joe, but where else do we see recurring faces?

Also, on a semi-related note:

(Spoiler for the FURIOSA credit sequence)
Spoiler:
During the credits, we're treated to a montage of scenes from FURY ROAD, reminding us of what happens next. To my eye, all of these scenes were straight cuts from the earlier movie.

However, something seemed very different in one of them: after the Lead Farmer is blinded in FURY ROAD, he wraps his eyes and has his vehicle roar ahead while he fires a pair of AK's into the air. This time, however, I would swear that the actor in that scene is NOT the actor who played the Lead Farmer at all, but someone else. (The Lead Farmer has a distinctly long and beaky face, and this one just does not. In fact I would believe it if you told me the actor was the guy who plays Praetorian Jack here.)

Did anyone else catch this? Were my eyes playing tricks? I missed one or two of the final montage scenes, incidentally.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, and while Anya Taylor-Joy is great as Furiosa, Chris Hemsworth absolutely steals this movie.

Oh, and another timeline cross-over thing I remembered!
Spoiler:
When Furiosa escapes after losing her arm, we see someone in leather sitting on a V-8 Interceptor, and he's presumably the one who brings her back to the Citadel for maggoty medical care.

He doesn't have any lines, and we never see his face, but there is an actor in the cast list credited as "Mad Max."

Obviously this makes little sense if Tom Hardy is Max in FURY ROAD, but it goes nicely with the mythic angle.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Holman wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:27 pm
Brian wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:09 pm That's why mixed timelines and recurring faces happen. It's the mind of the listener (viewer) of the story filling in the blanks from their own experiences.
I know ROAD WARRIOR's Gyro Captain actor re-appears in THUNDERDOME as a flyer who seems to be a different character, and I know MAD MAX's Toecutter actor plays Immortan Joe, but where else do we see recurring faces?

Also, on a semi-related note:

(Spoiler for the FURIOSA credit sequence)
Spoiler:
During the credits, we're treated to a montage of scenes from FURY ROAD, reminding us of what happens next. To my eye, all of these scenes were straight cuts from the earlier movie.

However, something seemed very different in one of them: after the Lead Farmer is blinded in FURY ROAD, he wraps his eyes and has his vehicle roar ahead while he fires a pair of AK's into the air. This time, however, I would swear that the actor in that scene is NOT the actor who played the Lead Farmer at all, but someone else. (The Lead Farmer has a distinctly long and beaky face, and this one just does not. In fact I would believe it if you told me the actor was the guy who plays Praetorian Jack here.)

Did anyone else catch this? Were my eyes playing tricks? I missed one or two of the final montage scenes, incidentally.
Spoiler:
I think your eyes are playing tricks on you, I just re-watched Fury Road last week in preparation and I'm pretty sure it's the same.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked Hemsworth, but the prosthetic nose was distracting at times.
Now depoliticized.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:28 pm Oh, and while Anya Taylor-Joy is great as Furiosa, Chris Hemsworth absolutely steals this movie.

Oh, and another timeline cross-over thing I remembered!
Spoiler:
When Furiosa escapes after losing her arm, we see someone in leather sitting on a V-8 Interceptor, and he's presumably the one who brings her back to the Citadel for maggoty medical care.

He doesn't have any lines, and we never see his face, but there is an actor in the cast list credited as "Mad Max."

Obviously this makes little sense if Tom Hardy is Max in FURY ROAD, but it goes nicely with the mythic angle.
I noticed that also and wondered if it was him.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton