THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

GenCon 2024

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zarathud

GenCon 2024

Post by Zarathud »

Who is going this year? Event registration is tomorrow.

I'm hoping to get in some Star Trek:Ascendancy, Paranoia, Kobolds Ate My Baby, Car Wars, Vindication, and Vagrantsong. And shopping until my legs hurt.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Re: GenCon 2024

Post by Blackhawk »

Sigh. Not this year.

My chances to do the entire show are probably over (the gamer friends I stayed with in Indy now live in Texas.) I hope to do a one day visit when I can, but I can't see it happening this year.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Probably not, but will have to see if wife says I'm free!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m going, but I’m going the week after the convention so I don’t have to deal with the crowds.
Now depoliticized.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My buddy I've always gone with is going but I had to bow out this year. The cost if just too prohibitive. By the time I factor in hotel, flight, and food I'm usually spending close to $1500 before I even buy a game. $1500 is a lot of money to sit around and play games I can eventually play for free at my house.

That said, I've had an absolute BLAST the three times I've been, and I will go back eventually when the timing and money is right.
Montag

Post by Montag »

In. Living in Indianapolis has its benefits.
words
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Three of us (me, my brother, and another friend) will be doing our first GenCon this year.

I've been absolutely swamped with work and didn't realize until this morning that the event signup had opened. Looks like just about everything is already sold out. Whoops.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

There is actually a decent chance I may be going after all. I know I'll spend most/all of a whole day in the sales areas. I still have several questions though.
1- When I looked this morning, there were over 4,000 events just for board games. I scrolled through the first page or so and was still on Thursday 9:00am. How do you parse all those options?
2- How many events should I sign up for in a day?
3- I assume there are many large areas for open gaming?
4- Do they have a board game library? Or do I bring my own or rely on others to bring theirs?
5- I didn't see anything about parking. If I stay at a hotel several miles away, where do I park my car? How much?
6- Most importantly - Is there an open area (?) where I can sell my used games? Or purchase used games from other gamers?
Thanks for the advice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fardaza wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:07 am
1- When I looked this morning, there were over 4,000 events just for board games. I scrolled through the first page or so and was still on Thursday 9:00am. How do you parse all those options?
4- Do they have a board game library? Or do I bring my own or rely on others to bring theirs?
5- I didn't see anything about parking. If I stay at a hotel several miles away, where do I park my car? How much?
6- Most importantly - Is there an open area (?) where I can sell my used games? Or purchase used games from other gamers?
Thanks for the advice.
1 - Filters. There are filters at the top of the page to restrict the view by day, time, type of event, as well as a search box you can type into to find specific games. I usually filter by event (board game/non historical miniatures/non tradeable card games) and then day and time. Then I just work through each day. There are still quite a few options, but it's far better than just trying to sift through everything unfiltered.

2-As many as you want. You don't need to attend if you find you've purchased too many events. There are always people with generic tickets who show up hoping to get into a game, so think of it as doing a public service if you skip a game. For me, it's usually 3 to 4 games a day. I usually skip at least one or two though during the convention as dinner plans, open gaming, etc. get in the way.

3-There's a huge hall that always has some open tables where you can sit. Plus, hotels and other area common areas have spaces too.

4- Yes. I haven't done that in a while, but you can search for game library or something similar and buy tickets for blocks of time. Then you can just check out a game and play.

5-Parking is not fun. I normally use Parkwhiz and have had good luck getting something. This year we're staying downtown again so I'm just going to pony up for hotel parking. I don't want to deal with that crap this year.

6- No, but there is an auction. Here's the gencon info on it and here's the site you actually use to register any games you want to sell.

Zarathud, Seppe and I will be skulking around, so if you're looking for folks to play with, just let us know. We usually hook up with Harkonis too at some point for evening games and, more importantly, beers.
Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:58 am Three of us (me, my brother, and another friend) will be doing our first GenCon this year.

I've been absolutely swamped with work and didn't realize until this morning that the event signup had opened. Looks like just about everything is already sold out. Whoops.
We should all trade info before the convention and have a big ol' dinner with folks.
Now depoliticized.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

All the OOers in attendance makes me wish I could have set something up for this year.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How far are you from Indianapolis? Could you come for even just one day?
Now depoliticized.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:35 am
Fardaza wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:07 am
Thanks for the advice.
1 - Filters. There are filters at the top of the page to restrict the view by day, time, type of event, as well as a search box you can type into to find specific games. I usually filter by event (board game/non historical miniatures/non tradeable card games) and then day and time. Then I just work through each day. There are still quite a few options, but it's far better than just trying to sift through everything unfiltered.

2-As many as you want. You don't need to attend if you find you've purchased too many events. There are always people with generic tickets who show up hoping to get into a game, so think of it as doing a public service if you skip a game. For me, it's usually 3 to 4 games a day. I usually skip at least one or two though during the convention as dinner plans, open gaming, etc. get in the way.

3-There's a huge hall that always has some open tables where you can sit. Plus, hotels and other area common areas have spaces too.

4- Yes. I haven't done that in a while, but you can search for game library or something similar and buy tickets for blocks of time. Then you can just check out a game and play.

5-Parking is not fun. I normally use Parkwhiz and have had good luck getting something. This year we're staying downtown again so I'm just going to pony up for hotel parking. I don't want to deal with that crap this year.

6- No, but there is an auction. Here's the gencon info on it and here's the site you actually use to register any games you want to sell.

Zarathud, Seppe and I will be skulking around, so if you're looking for folks to play with, just let us know. We usually hook up with Harkonis too at some point for evening games and, more importantly, beers.
Thanks Hep, super helpful. This is really my first con of any sort (other than wandering around the vendor hall at Salt Lake ComicCon), so I really have zero idea what to expect.
Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:58 am Three of us (me, my brother, and another friend) will be doing our first GenCon this year.

We should all trade info before the convention and have a big ol' dinner with folks.
For sure. Will shoot you a PM and we can coordinate.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some tips from my trips:

~Supplement potassium - you're going to be walking a lot.
~Bring extra socks and carry a pair with you that you can change to if needed.
~Bring a pocket-sized hand sanitizer and carry it with you. Bring two.
~Bring a backpack, and bring some sort of a rigid folder (I used an extra-large manilla envelope with a piece of plastic in it.) You'll be getting tons of fliers, promos for games, and other paper/card products, and if you can slide them into a protected folder together, you'll be happier.
~Bring snacks.
~Bring a water bottle and a way to carry it.
~Be ready for hot weather. Indiana in the summer is hot and very humid.
~Leave one day free for the vendor hall.
~If shopping and there isn't limited quantity, pick out what you want first, then go back and pick up the items all at once so that you're not trying to carry multiple board games while still shopping. It's much easier to grab a number of things, make a quick trip to your room/car, then come back and continue.
~Many vendors have free bags you can carry stuff in, and they're usually pretty substantial and large (they want the logo out there for people to see)
~Every year there is a limited edition GenCon dice set. Check into that.
~You'll get a guide book and a coupon book. Go through the latter carefully - there are lots of cool items, promos, and freebies. If you can, grab a second guide book, then cut out the map and carry it in your pocket.
~Also, many people get the coupon book, take out one or two specific coupons, then toss it aside. Grab these if there's something you might want multiples of. :ninja:
~If there's anything you're interested in, make note of the retail price before you go. Not everything there is actually a deal.
~Bring a notebook and a pen, or an alternate quick note-taking system that you can keep readily at hand.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Also, if you're in the vendor hall with Zarathud and he tries to take over, pretend to listen to him, and then turn left when he turns right the moment his back is turned.
Now depoliticized.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Thanks Hep and BH! Those are all good tips. Now if I can just convince my wife that a $1,000 - $1,500 trip is a good use of funds. She's going to an international scouts camporee from July 31 - August 13. I can't go because of mobility limitations. Perfect timing!!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A couple of event tips from my visits:

The game library is great, but it's often crowded and while the game selection is huge it's mostly older titles. After our first visit we preferred to pay the $2 for 2 hour blocks in the BGG Hot Games Room. It's in a conference room at a skywalk connected hotel, is never crowded, and has a nice selection of newer titles. If you just want to sit down in a quiet room and play some newer titles, it's a great option.

We also always enjoyed the "Test a Game in Progress" event (can't remember the exact title). Get there early and you can grab a number, then they'll call everyone up in numerical order to select what type of game you're most interested in (dungeon crawler, co-op, competitive, etc. with high-level blurbs about the theme of the game). Then you go sit down with the others that selected that game and play a beta copy (usually with the designer themselves). I did it all three years I went and always had a great time. At the end of the session you can provide feedback and suggestions.

From a scheduling standpoint, we always tried to leave hour blocks between events because the venue is huge and sometimes you're walking from one end to the other. We always tried to keep our day full of stuff to do, but spread out enough that we were never rushing and had plenty of time allocated for lunch and dinner. Of course as already pointed out, it's not the end of the world if you skip an event. And if you find yourself with a big downtime gap, chances are you can grab some tickets to an event you didn't originally sign up for. We wound up playing some entertaining games last time just sitting in on random learn to play events we didn't originally schedule. Stay flexible and you'll have a great time.

Even though it's pricey if you're not in the area, I think any serious board gamer needs to make the pilgrimage at least once.

My buddy who's going alone this year is going to drive this time to see how that goes. Saving on the airfare may make it a more viable option for future visits (we'd also save on the rental car and shipping games back). It's an 11 hour drive for me, but I've made that drive several times before for roller coaster events so I don't mind it.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

It's about a 6 hour drive for me. That's right at the edge of my ability to drive for one day. The concern is parking. That will probably add another $200-400 for the full con.

I went to BGG Con in Dallas two Novembers ago. I only made it through 2 1/2 days because I was so exhausted from all the walking. If I go to Indy, I'll certainly consider getting my wheelchair out of the rafters of our shed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Check that site I linked earlier. If you don’t mind a half mile walk each morning and end of day, you can get parking for as little as 20 bucks a day or even less.
Now depoliticized.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yet again this reminds me that Gencon was on my bucket list when I was a teenager (30 effing years ago) and I have yet to attend.

Running out of time.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I talked to my wife, and she said I'd already told her about the largest gaming convention in the U.S. I don't remember that conversation at all. :?

Anyway, she didn't say anything that should discourage me from going! :D I may well be there after all. I just booked a "reserve now, pay later, free cancellation" room about 7 miles from the convention center. $88 per night. Free parking there, so I need to figure out how to get from and to the CC each day. Or pay to park closer. I can't do the half mile walk that hepcat mentioned above. It will be all I can do just to get around the CC all day.

Hehe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you leave early enough in the day, you can probably get a parking spot at the mall connected to the convention center. I think it's like 25 bucks a day, although that was the price I noticed a few years ago. It might be a bit more.

The aforementioned Park Whiz has a great list of parking near the convention center. One thought: you could get a cheap spot a half mile from the convention center and then take a 10 dollar uber to the festivities. Still might end up cheaper than any other option. There are PLENTY of Uber and Lyft drivers cruising that area during the convention at all hours.
Now depoliticized.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I haven't ever had a need to take an Uber/Lyft ride before. How much should it cost to go about 7 or 8 miles?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That would probably cost at least 25 bucks. Plus, it may be "surge" hours where rates increase drastically during certain peak times.

Looks like you can use this site to get a quote.
Now depoliticized.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you're not driving, check with the other people going and see if you can 'borrow' a room for storage - somewhere you can go up once or twice a day and drop stuff off, then go collect it all at once when it's time to leave. Even one box can get burdensome when you're hauling it around for six hours (even if it's not Gloomhaven.) When I wasn't staying there, I was usually parked close enough to shuttle back to the car once or twice if I needed to, but I'd absolutely be looking for a temporary cache if I wasn't.