2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Helldivers - Now on Steam

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Helldivers - Now on Steam

Post by Smoove_B »

Now with news link:
The pushback made an impression, and now Sony has announced that account linking "will not be moving forward." In a post on X (formerly Twitter) Sunday night addressed to Helldivers fans, the official PlayStation account wrote that the publisher had "heard your feedback" and was "still learning what is best for PC players and your feedback has been invaluable."
I'm guessing the overwhelming popularity and all the refunds made them realize they were torching good-will. As always, money talks.
It will certainly be interesting to see what Sony does next with its success beyond consoles. Helldivers 2 is by far its most successful PC launch to date, and its seventh highest-grossing game overall. There's a market there for the right kinds of games, but how Sony cultivates that market, and whether they'll welcome Sony as anything beyond a publisher on Steam, remains to be seen.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:11 pm That's the problem with review bombing: It's not a reflection of the quality of the game, It's just mob mentality stemming from some slight, real or imagined. Usually imagined.

And they only have a problem if they choose to. Steam will roll back reviews when that happens. The company just needs to ask.
Problem is, it worked. :wink:

There are times when review bombing is crap, I agree. See the kickback against movies with female leads a la Captain Marvel.

This wasn't one of those times though. The player community had a legitimate issue with how things were going, they complained, they got results.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:18 am
Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:11 pm That's the problem with review bombing: It's not a reflection of the quality of the game, It's just mob mentality stemming from some slight, real or imagined. Usually imagined.

And they only have a problem if they choose to. Steam will roll back reviews when that happens. The company just needs to ask.
Problem is, it worked. :wink:

There are times when review bombing is crap, I agree. See the kickback against movies with female leads a la Captain Marvel.

This wasn't one of those times though. The player community had a legitimate issue with how things were going, they complained, they got results.
No doubt. But for every time someone makes a positive difference, there are a dozen times when the offense is 'gay NPC', and that tends to work, too. It kills sales, it shuts down studios, and stops messages.

Review bombing is a tool that does far, far more harm than good. It's one of those potentially positive things that is absolutely not worth the cost.

So, yeah - when it's review bombing, I'm against it. Even if justified occasionally, the entire concept needs to die.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

All tools can be used for shit reasons. Also, it's not like I had any other tools I could use to make my opinion known / or have any impact.

I'm happy this worked, and my review is back to positive.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Longstanding issues with rootkit anti-cheat and copy protection have kept me from buying this game, which is a shame. By all other accounts it's a gem - and I absolutely LOVE the community impact of it.

It's been fascinating to watch this unfold and refold as an outsider.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I liked the alternate version someone had that showed the closing of the story and reviews surging back into blue.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Paingod wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm Longstanding issues with rootkit anti-cheat and copy protection have kept me from buying this game, which is a shame. By all other accounts it's a gem - and I absolutely LOVE the community impact of it.

It's been fascinating to watch this unfold and refold as an outsider.
I bought on ps5 primarily for this reason. Yes you need psn plus but i already have that so no big issue for me.