2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

The Last Starfighter 4K UHD or Blu-Ray

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

Re: The Last Starfighter 4K UHD or Blu-Ray

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:06 pm I look back on those days and realize I was getting excited for what was essentially stick figures with a low frame rate.
Yeah. It's a bit weird growing up with pong on the intellivision to unreal engine 5 graphics.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've said this before, but I do believe that something was lost along the way (although I'm not sure that Pong/Robotron level graphics really apply - it's more about the last 25-30 years.)

It's like reading a book. When you read about a character and their personality, that character's look matches what, in your psyche, fits that personality. When you read a description of a forest clearing, that clearing matches what, in your psyche, that forest would look like. Your own imagination and personality fills in the missing details. It makes it personal, and that makes the entire thing have a stronger impact.

When everything is detailed for you, your imagination isn't needed. It absolutely looks better, but it's less personal, and less tailored for you, personally (by your own brain.)

The trade of for fidelity was the elimination of the need for our own imagination, and I have found that it actually makes the experience less impactful.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My brain tells me I still love SVGA games and would play them now. I do go back and replay early and mod 90s games that were SVGA. Maybe its because i started out on them on PC. I mean I played arcades and my Atari 800xl in the very early 80s. But SVGA is where I so loved gaming.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"