We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep, it's forever, but only if you get the two within X months of each other. And since I assume you're on Medicare like me, they should be free. You don't even need an appointment - just wander into Walmart, go to the pharmacy and tell them you want the shingles vaccine. Both times for me was 10-15 minutes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For the younger first-world generations , the chicken pox vaccine should make shingles a thing of the past.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:21 am For the younger first-world generations , the chicken pox vaccine should make shingles a thing of the past.
Just like measles and polio.

:|
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:49 pm Yep, it's forever, but only if you get the two within X months of each other.
Guidance is 2-6 months which annoys me. Give me an actual target not a 4 month window. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CVS scheduled my 2nd shot when I got my first. I don't remember how long it was between shots. I think two months but I wouldn't stake my life on it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:56 am CVS scheduled my 2nd shot when I got my first. I don't remember how long it was between shots. I think two months but I wouldn't stake my life on it.
Same. For me it was just over 2 months, but they were happy with anything over 2.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When I got home from the first shot, I just scheduled an email for myself for three months later. That showed up about two weeks ago.

This morning I feel... like I have a cold. I'm breathing fine, it's more aches and tiredness, maybe a mild fever (enough that I was too hot last night when I shouldn't have been.) I simply plan to watch TV/read/game for a day or two, and bought myself a few items of 'comfort' food for it. Shrug.

For those still avoiding the shot to keep from having a few cold symptoms for a day or two, the alternative is...
Holman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:43 pm Don't mess around with shingles. I had a dose of it in 2020. Emotional stress is a factor in triggering shingles, and mine erupted during the week I was visiting my father on his literal deathbed.

I had awful painful blisters on my face so that I resembled Lynch's Baron Harkonnen. I even had one on the tip of my nose, which (due to how blood flow works in the face) can lead to blindness. Fortunately I dodged that horror.
Punisher wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:28 pm My father in law passed about 1-2 years after we married so i didn't see his reaction but my wife said he was miserable. It's also not a one and done like chicken pox.
Punisher wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:28 pm I did see other people's reactions multiple times as an EMT...among other fun stuff...
The variations were from mid level pain to excruciating take them to the ER kind of pain..
So go get the damned shot.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Don't forget this one:
stessier wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:05 pm ... one of the guys who works for me got shingles about a month ago. It presented as a rash inside his mouth - he went to the dentist thinking he needed a root canal. Nope! Took him days before he could eat normal food again - he said it was brutal. So that moved the shot way up on my list. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I had it as a teen (I know, it's super rare to express that early) and had the worst rash I've ever had on the right side of my body. It was extremely painful just lying down, but if I had to walk the pain was excruciating. Get the damned shot. It was almost two weeks of hell.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont feel good these days. Its not simply stress I dont think but what I dont know. I cant drag myself out of bed when i wake up and stay in bed all day or at least 6 more hours. Then I can barely get up. When Im up I feel tired and weak. I mean weak. Going to the kitchen makes my heart race to like 120 beats and my whole body feels like Im low lvl vibrating. My muscles are tired. Im the guy who would walk across town or ride the bike. Walk the mall with my wife 6 hours when we went every week. But the last couple years have made me feel really weak and tired and Im worse slowly.

My blood pressure is mostly in check. But my head feels weird in my brain. I dont have a headache and I see clearly no aches but my brains feels like its slowly simmering on fire. No fever. My outside head feels fine. But my brain is like hot . Also my ear or ears will randomly go stopped up and begin ringing..or a high pitched tone. Usually last a few seconds then slowly recedes . This would happen maybe once in a year in the past but now its doing it multiple times a day and night.

I lost my wife at 49 and seemed pretty normal then. not this tired out sick guy. I turned 50 that year. This year Ill be 55 in a few days. May age is part and stress another but I feel theres other stuff going on.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You sound like me. Stay away from the VA.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk, you know the answer - or at least a big part of it - if you want to feel like yourself again. We've all discussed it with you dozens of times.

You have severe depression. You can get it treated if you want to.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:32 pm Daehawk, you know the answer - or at least a big part of it - if you want to feel like yourself again. We've all discussed it with you dozens of times.

You have severe depression. You can get it treated if you want to.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant go anywhere not even my normal doc to get a checkup or my xrays I needed last time.

I thought my maturity date on the mortgage was the payoff day. Learned that is not the case. got years to go without a car or washer it seems lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:00 pm Cant go anywhere not even my normal doc to get a checkup or my xrays I needed last time.
Are you on Medicaid/TennCare? Because if you have Medicaid in Tennessee, you can use TennCare's free transportation service to get to your covered medical appointments:
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:13 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:08 pm Should have had one 25 years ago. But anything where I can get done then leave is problematic for me as I have no ride. Im not sure they allow you to leave in Uber. And my Uber ride would mean from one city to another.

I wonder if after a op they would allow me to sit in the waiting room and sleep overnight there then drive myself home the next day? Thats if I had a op and if I had a car..if ififififif.
If you're on Medicaid, it looks like TennCare -- the state of Tennessee’s managed Medicaid agency -- provides access to free transportation for covered medical services through their Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) benefit:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:20 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:00 pm Cant go anywhere not even my normal doc to get a checkup or my xrays I needed last time.
Are you on Medicaid/TennCare? Because if you have Medicaid in Tennessee, you can use TennCare's free transportation service to get to your covered medical appointments:
We all know he would rather complain and suffer than seek help, even free help. That's how depression works.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And treating it means confronting your pain and loss in order to work through it, which is a hard thing to make yourself do. It tends to blind you to the fact that there is still light at the end of the tunnel, so you just sit and wait rather than moving forward.

It's not something to blame people for - it's something to support them through.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:02 pm And treating it means confronting your pain and loss in order to work through it, which is a hard thing to make yourself do. It tends to blind you to the fact that there is still light at the end of the tunnel, so you just sit and wait rather than moving forward.

It's not something to blame people for - it's something to support them through.
Indeed, this is why I felt it important to clarify and reiterate that transportation for Daehawk to receive the medical help he requires is freely available and readily accessible (assuming he is on Medicaid/TennCare). But if history is any guide, I expect Daehawk will just ignore my question, and act like it never happened. True wisdom means having the humility to accept your limitations and courage to reach out for help that can improve your situation. It may not be easy to confront pain and loss in order to work through it, but nothing worthwhile usually is.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I go in 10 days to see if my arm is healing. This happened on Valentines Day, and to date, my insurance has paid approximately nothing so I'm on the hook for about $40K expenses. My last xray last month showed the bone pulling away from the plate -- the surgeon wasn't too alarmed but said a plan B might be needed if it doesn't mend.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:09 pm I go in 10 days to see if my arm is healing. This happened on Valentines Day, and to date, my insurance has paid approximately nothing so I'm on the hook for about $40K expenses. My last xray last month showed the bone pulling away from the plate -- the surgeon wasn't too alarmed but said a plan B might be needed if it doesn't mend.
I hope you are paying your insurance company approximately nothing in turn.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:01 am
Jeff V wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:09 pm I go in 10 days to see if my arm is healing. This happened on Valentines Day, and to date, my insurance has paid approximately nothing so I'm on the hook for about $40K expenses. My last xray last month showed the bone pulling away from the plate -- the surgeon wasn't too alarmed but said a plan B might be needed if it doesn't mend.
I hope you are paying your insurance company approximately nothing in turn.
I'd bet part of it is their normal autoreject. Usually the doctors office just pushes bavk or puts in the right codes and gets it cleared.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Annnd... Friday's surgery postponed until May 30th because I will never get to leave the house.... I'm debating heading out in the interim but the last thing I want to do is get sick and put off the end of this work on my arm for even longer. urgh.