Running a Laptop off of a power bank?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Apollo

Running a Laptop off of a power bank?

Post by Apollo »

I have decided to try a laptop for the first time so I can get my game on in other rooms and locations from time to time. Since it is a gaming laptop that will suck power and I don't want to always be near a wall outlet or using the internal battery I thought it might be a good idea to get a re-chargeable power bank and run the laptop off of that. However, my electronics knowledge is very limited so here is my question for you guys: If I plug my laptop into one of these portable battery banks will the laptop recharge the battery to 100% and then run directly off the power bank or will it recharge the battery to 100% and then start drawing from the internal battery again. My goal is to run the laptop without involving the battery at all to lengthen its lifespan. Here's an example: https://www.ravpower.com/products/ravpo ... aQQAvD_BwE

Will this work the way I want?
LordMortis

Re: Running a Laptop off of a power bank?

Post by LordMortis »

100W Max/ 80W Rated AC Output
What is the power supply draw on laptop? If it's too high you might get not so great results all around. I can't speak if it will bypass your battery, but my guess is that 90W or higher and it might not. It might also send you warnings on boot up. I'm not an expert on such things though. I do know I've had Dells in the past that weren't happy if the powersupply couldn't draw like it wanted to. They'd give warnings on boot but we'd ignore them.

I've used these for charging (I have one in my trunk) but never tried to use them to draw for live usage. I wonder what their output is.

https://www.costco.com/type-s-portable- ... 36606.html
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I've found other power banks with 100w or 150w outputs, but they were on Amazon and I can't get links from there to work here for some reason. I figured that might matter but I have no idea how much the laptop would need. The laptop I ordered is the Asus ROG Strix Scar 18 with the RTX 4080 gpu (https://shop.asus.com/us/90nr0in2-m0014 ... tQQAvD_BwE) Maybe I should just give it a shot when I get the laptop. I just don't want to screw something up by messing with something I don't fully understand. :doh:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ø6.0, 330W AC Adapter, Output: 20V DC, 16.5A, 330W, Input: 100~240C AC 50/60Hz universal
That's a big draw. Do we have any electrical experts here? I honestly have no idea what happens when you try drawing from something not designed to output like that. Does that brownout a laptop or are they smart enough to draw from the battery and the electrical source.

I don't want to give you bad advice on something that expensive when I would be talking out my ass. :oops: I wouldn't chance it but I'm overly cautious when it comes to my ignorance.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:38 am
ø6.0, 330W AC Adapter, Output: 20V DC, 16.5A, 330W, Input: 100~240C AC 50/60Hz universal
That's a big draw. Do we have any electrical experts here? I honestly have no idea what happens when you try drawing from something not designed to output like that. Does that brownout a laptop or are they smart enough to draw from the battery and the electrical source.

I don't want to give you bad advice on something that expensive when I would be talking out my ass. :oops: I wouldn't chance it but I'm overly cautious when it comes to my ignorance.
Yeah, my resident IT guy at work wasn't sure either, so unless someone here with real knowledge can enlighten me I'll probably just charge the battery and use that for now when I'm away from an outlet. Thanks for the help!
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is old, but I think it can give you some idea of what might happen.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Thanks for the video. The power banks I was looking at had a/c plug-ins which makes me wonder if I used the laptop's power cord and 330W power "Brick" would it convert the output from the battery bank to 330W and allow me to play at full power? Since I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing this my guess is that there is a reason not to do this and I certainly don't want to damage my new laptop. But being able to have full functionality without being tethered to a wall outlet would be awesome. :think:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Interesting. Aside from the start up warnings I've seen on Dell's it's about what I expected (or hoped), that a laptop would draw under powered, understand and then take the rest from the battery. What's answered, is is it harder on the machine, which would be my fear (warranted or not), it's sort of implied at 5:30 that my fear is not warranted... Unless I do it with my Switch.