[News] Baltimore Key Bridge Accident

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: [News] Baltimore Key Bridge Accident

Post by em2nought »

This is what they did around the second sunshine skyway bridge after the first one got knocked down, I imagine they'll be doing something similar in Baltimore this time around.
Enlarge Image
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:18 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:52 am I'm also hearing that this bridge was designed without any barriers built around the support pylons.
I don't think there's a barrier that would be effective against a cargo ship this size.
Probably totally true. I think the lack of barriers only shows that this bridge collapse could have (without any fenders/defense) even happened with a much lesser ship. Additionally, it could have (even with this ship) resulted in a less catastrophic failure.

A car accident could be so horrific that no one was ever likely to survive, but if the car also had no seatbelts installed - you may wonder how they planned to survive something even less horrific.
Plus you're not necessarily trying to stop it but divert it. It can be done.

And the bridge did stop the ship so it's definitely possible. But again, not necessary.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Brace yourselves, conspiracy theories are coming:
The FBI is conducting a criminal investigation into the deadly collapse of Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge that is focused on the circumstances leading up to it and whether all federal laws were followed, according to someone familiar with the matter.

The person was not authorized to discuss details of the investigation publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity to The Associated Press.

The FBI was aboard the cargo ship Dali conducting court-authorized law enforcement activity, the agency said in a statement Monday. It didn’t elaborate and said it wouldn’t comment further on the investigation, which was first reported by The Washington Post.

Meanwhile, Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott on Monday announced a partnership with two law firms to “launch legal action to hold the wrongdoers responsible” and mitigate harm to city residents.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There were reports that the crew knew about electrical issues. Apparently port workers were aware and warned them. There were interviews with port workers the day after stating as much.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/ship-that-h ... ource-says
The Dali experienced apparent electrical issues before leaving port, according to someone with knowledge of the situation. The person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to comment, said alarms went off on the ship’s refrigerated containers while it was still docked in Baltimore, likely indicating an inconsistent power supply.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:14 pm There were reports that the crew knew about electrical issues. Apparently port workers were aware and warned them. There were interviews with port workers the day after stating as much.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/ship-that-h ... ource-says
The Dali experienced apparent electrical issues before leaving port, according to someone with knowledge of the situation. The person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to comment, said alarms went off on the ship’s refrigerated containers while it was still docked in Baltimore, likely indicating an inconsistent power supply.
Sounds like the company could go into bankruptcy if true. I still imagine it would take a decade to figure out and virtually no money will be extracted.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't think this has been posted and found it informative.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Starting at 11:54 where he gets lazy with saying URS. :lol: I'm 9.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:24 pm Sounds like the company could go into bankruptcy if true. I still imagine it would take a decade to figure out and virtually no money will be extracted.
Even less likely to collect than the Goldman family while O.J. was alive.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO