NCAA Football 2023

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: NCAA Football 2023

Post by Pyperkub »

Hearing that in our AD's Press Conference that he said he expects to have the new coach hired within 96 hours, so maybe the preparation has been in place.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Why would Kelly wait this long to take what is a demotion, although possibly with better pay?

He would have been coaching against Ohio State next season.

After reading ESPN’s article it looks like Kelly just wanted out of UCLA as he went after several different jobs before landing this one.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:05 pm Why would Kelly wait this long to take what is a demotion, although possibly with better pay?

He would have been coaching against Ohio State next season.

After reading ESPN’s article it looks like Kelly just wanted out of UCLA as he went after several different jobs before landing this one.
In part because he may have thought he was going to be fired - his buyout drops significantly at the end of next year (I think it was 8.5m in December). It's a bit interesting tho that this didn't happen earlier, at least with regards to Ohio St.

I'd much rather have Kelly as my OC than Bill O'Brien. You give Kelly the perennially loaded Ohio St OL and skill position guys, AND he doesn't have to recruit? That's basically a dream job for him.

They could easily average 600 ypg next year (even replacing 3 guys on the OL and playing a true frosh QB who regressed as the year went on last year, he had us up over 200ypg rushing last year, and a pretty devastating passing game when the OL held up and we got slightly better QB play with Garbers, who I strongly doubt is good enough to transfer to Ohio St).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:37 pm Kelly isn't alone in wanting out. See the BC HC leaving for an NFL Coordinator position. I also think it was a huge factor in both Saban's retirement and Harbaugh bolting.
BC HC to NFL coordinator is a promotion. Saban is 72. Harbaugh just wanted to go to the NFL, as he has for a while now. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Kelly clearly has no interest in being a head coach anymore. Whether that's because of the changing recruiting environment or just because he didn't like it anymore, he's been looking for a way out for a while, even if it's a demotion. If I were a UCLA fan I'd be incredibly pissed at him. He hasn't even tried to recruit the last couple of years, and even if he didn't like recruiting in the new environment, he was still accepting $6M/year to be a head coach, so he should have done the damn job. Now UCLA is likely to crater as they move to the Big Ten and try to rebuild. That's 100% on Kelly.

I'm fascinated to see how this plays out at OSU. Day considers himself to be an offensive genius and QB whisperer, but I have to imagine that if you're bringing in Kelly you're handing over full control of the offense to him. Has Day pivoted to wanting to be more of a GM type role? If so, this could be great for OSU. But what happens if OSU/Kelly struggle a bit - will Day take back control and leave the team in a bit of turmoil?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

UCLA hires current assistant and alum DeShaun Foster as HC.

Probably the best hire to keep half the team from entering the portal, but is he ready?

We shall see.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:44 pm UCLA hires current assistant and alum DeShaun Foster as HC.

Probably the best hire to keep half the team from entering the portal, but is he ready?

We shall see.
When I read he was hired I wondered what your opinion would be. Can’t remember the last running back who became a head coach.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:21 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:44 pm UCLA hires current assistant and alum DeShaun Foster as HC.

We shall see.
When I read he was hired I wondered what your opinion would be. Can’t remember the last running back who became a head coach.
From the Press Release:
DeShaun has been on UCLA’s staff for 10 years. He spent the past seven seasons as our running backs coach and served as associate head coach in 2023. In 2022, he was a nominee for the Broyles Award, presented annually to college football’s top assistant coach.

His running backs group led the Pac-12 in rushing offense in each of the last two seasons and has posted three consecutive top-20 national finishes. Among the standout running backs DeShaun has coached at UCLA are NFL players Zach Charbonnet, Brittain Brown, Demetric Felton Jr. and Joshua Kelley.

As a Bruin student-athlete, DeShaun was a key player on UCLA’s 1998 Pac-10 Championship team as a freshman and earned All-America honors as a senior in 2001 before embarking on a seven-year NFL career highlighted by his 33-yard touchdown in Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Throughout our comprehensive search, DeShaun resonated with us from the start, as we are looking for a coach with integrity, energy and passion; someone who is a great teacher, who develops young men, is a great recruiter and fully embraces the NIL landscape to help our student-athletes. DeShaun checks all of those boxes and then some. He is a leader of men and a true Bruin.
We shall see.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So Eric Bienemy is apparently set to become the Bruins OC and assistant head coach. Probably a real good hire.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Scuzz wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:33 am So Eric Bienemy is apparently set to become the Bruins OC and assistant head coach. Probably a real good hire.
One of my favorite CU Football players.
I imagine I saw every one of his home games.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scuzz wrote:So Eric Bienemy is apparently set to become the Bruins OC and assistant head coach. Probably a real good hire.
I think so. Especially on the recruiting end - he was a good recruiter when he was previously at ucla.

Heck, I thought he'd be a good candidate for the head job, save for the huge probability that he'd jump to the NFL if he had any success.

One great short term factor is that, as best I can tell, zero players have jumped to the portal during the transition. I do expect that will change after spiring practice and the full portal opens up again, but at least we'll be on an even footing with other teams vis a vis the portal (save for Tennessee turning the portal into an NIL bidding war). It could have been much worse - short term this is batting 1.000.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

tuesday night MAC-tion incoming!

With bonus massholes ;)

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Setting a future trend of bouncing between schools to make some quick cash?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:05 am

Setting a future trend of bouncing between schools to make some quick cash?
"Future"?

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Michigan reaches settlement with NCAA for recruiting violations

Michigan will serve three years of NCAA probation, pay a fine and face recruiting restrictions after the university and five current or former football employees reached an agreement with the NCAA's enforcement staff on recruiting violations and coaching activities by noncoaching staff members, the NCAA announced Tuesday.

The agreed-upon penalties also include a one-year show-cause order for the participating individuals.

The portion of the case that involves former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, who was hired by the Los Angeles Chargers in late January, will be considered separately by the Committee on Infractions, and then it will determine its full decision, according to a release from the NCAA.
It's almost as if people are the problem.