“Life hacks” that actually work

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

Re: “Life hacks” that actually work

Post by Punisher »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:11 am
Punisher wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:44 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:33 pm I recently overpaid a man named Mr. Jean to come to my house and tune up my lawnmower and snowblower. The mower wouldn't start at all and the blower always starts hard. The former is >30 years old and the latter is 8.

Mr. Jean's tip: Run some TruFuel (sold at Home Depot among others) through the carburetor before you put it away, and it will always start the next season. TruFuel lacks ethanol, which gums up carbs. "If you do this you'll never need to call me again," said Mr. Jean.

Searching this turned up two YouTube videos warning OMG DO NOT USE TRUFUEL, but Ima trust Mr Jean over some random YouTuber.
Plot twist. Mr. Jean is being 100% truthful and you won't need to call him again after using it.
Double plot twist. The reason is tgst it will lill your lawn mower and Mr. Jean has a huge stock portfolio filled with lawn mower companies.

(Note. I actually have no idea what TruFuel is)
Mr Jean is an earnest Haitian man who genuinely enjoys overcharging people like me to fix our small engines, based on his banter with Mr Jean Jr. He seemed like an honest small businessman.

TruFuel is basically gasoline without ethanol. It probably has vitamins and minerals too, just because with a name like that, you know Zoomers are going to try it.
But does it have electrolytes? If not, you might want to switch to Brawno. It's what plants crave so you kill 2 weeds with one mower!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Punisher wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:44 am
But does it have electrolytes? If not, you might want to switch to Brawno. It's what plants crave so you kill 2 weeds with one mower!
Brawndo :lol: I know, I've got the shirt. :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Reading says Trufuel is 92 octane ethanol free gas. Its also about $25 for a gal.

You can buy the same ethanol free gas at the pump for the same price as any other gas. Im not sure on the octane...should be 92 as well. I have a few places around me that sell ethanol free. I try to get it when i remember. Sometimes its a few cents higher. Like if gas is $3.00 a gal then its $3.10
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://www.pure-gas.org/
Welcome to the definitive list of stations that sell ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Are there any legitimate reasons to use ethanol-free in cars? Or is it just the usual anti-change, anti-environment, avoid-it-because-the-libs-like-it crap?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There is a station that sells E0 about 7-8 miles from me, but I'd need to buy a second gas can to hold it. I'm more inclined to pay $7 for a quart. Won't need more than that to put those two machines to bed.
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:13 pm Are there any legitimate reasons to use ethanol-free in cars? Or is it just the usual anti-change, anti-environment, avoid-it-because-the-libs-like-it crap?
Actually, I think it's conservatives keeping ethanol fuel alive. Its environmental impact is a net negative because we make it from farmed corn rather than using biowaste, and the farming states love the subsidies. (IDK its impact on modern car engines.)
Last edited by Kraken on Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:08 pm https://www.pure-gas.org/
Welcome to the definitive list of stations that sell ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada!
Only 8 places in my entire state. I think the closest is about 30-40 minutes depending on traffic.
Not sure if it's worth the trip instead of just getting that trufuel stuff at home depot.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:43 pm Actually, I think it's conservatives keeping ethanol fuel alive.
Keeping all fuels alive, but I'd be happy to have hemp readily available. :lol:

Last I looked the ethanol free was at least 50 cents a gallon higher than regular. I think ethanol free gas is more important in older vehicles that had different gasket materials?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Ethanol-free by definition is not "diluted" by ethanol, which is why it's so much more expensive. It's supposed to provide for much better gas mileage in modern cars, too, but it's definitely more important in classic cars. Especially if they are not driven often, since ethanol absorbs water, so if it just sits, the fuel will separate, and you can damage the engine.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

“SHAKE ENGINE BEFORE STARTING”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:38 pm “SHAKE ENGINE BEFORE STARTING”
I'm not worried.

I have a self-shaking engine.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I had heard that you can un-crystalize honey by putting its container in boiling water. Tonight I verified that it really works. Warped the plastic container a little, though. The honey bear is a little wobbly on its feet now.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I usually just use warm/hot water. Not boiling. It probably takes longer, but has less impact on the container. :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I watch a YT chan called Vice Grip garage. He finds old vehicles all over the place and buys then then gets dropped off and films himself repair and get them running. usually from sitting in a field for decades. One I watched the other night had sat 40 years and still had a tank of nasty looking leaded fuel in it. He didn't change it and got it started. he uses something called Berrymans B12.

And I got a bunch of pure gas places around me. Used to use them sometimes just to clean it out. Also its best to use pure gas in yard equipment like mowers and such.

here is a pic of price difference...this is near me

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:18 pm I usually just use warm/hot water. Not boiling. It probably takes longer, but has less impact on the container. :)
I used the slow cooker on low when I bought a huge container. It works for a couple of weeks and then crystalizes again. You can repeat this process a bunch. Now I just get a much smaller container of honey, which sucks, as honey per ounce is way cheaper in larger containers.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:05 pm
TheMix wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:18 pm I usually just use warm/hot water. Not boiling. It probably takes longer, but has less impact on the container. :)
I used the slow cooker on low when I bought a huge container. It works for a couple of weeks and then crystalizes again. You can repeat this process a bunch. Now I just get a much smaller container of honey, which sucks, as honey per ounce is way cheaper in larger containers.
I only use honey in cooking, and there it only comes up once or twice a year, so even the smallest jar lasts me forever. Used to be I'd just throw it away when it crystalized because it's cheap and I use it so rarely. But I hate throwing away food and I had since learned that honey is basically immortal, and heat brings it back.

Tonight I needed 2 Tbsp and I didn't have time to find out if the old honey would really de-crystalize, so I opened the fancy infused honey that I got for xmas. I chose spicy over garlic for my new, sort-of Chinese, oven-fried rice recipe. It was a good choice and the recipe made The Book. My plain old cheap honey is back in rotation for the next time I make this. Which will be soon, because Wife loves this new oven-fried rice. But that spicy honey is pretty damned good and the bits of wax aren't the turnoff that I thought they might be, so maybe I'll stick with that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love honey but I dont eat a lot of it and between that and the prices of honey these days I just dont buy it. Those prices are nuts.

Now my wife was the honey eater. If we got it back when she was alive it would be gone in a month.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

When I was a kid, I loved spun honey. I never see it on store shelves anymore, I do see that Amazon lists some. I bet that same size container was $2 the last time I had some.

Don't have any new life hacks, I can't even get my realtor to do one little thing I ask.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I surprised the bejeebers out of my sibling recently. I was doing the cooking and cleaning for them while they were sick, I made some chicken fingers, and then drizzled honey over it before serving. Based on the reaction, it was the tastiest thing they had ever eaten.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:52 pm I had heard that you can un-crystalize honey by putting its container in boiling water. Tonight I verified that it really works. Warped the plastic container a little, though. The honey bear is a little wobbly on its feet now.
You can avoid warping the bottle: it doesn't have to be boiling. In fact, honey purists will say boiling water is too hot. These folks say 110F max.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

I like a little honey instead of sugar in fresh-brewed coffee. The flavors work well together with just a little bit of cream.

This is one of those drinks that's easier to make at home than in a Starbucks or wherever.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

my two favorite ways to use honey.

1. Mix honey and butter. So yummy together. Some steak houses in the 90s caught on to this and served it this way.

2. Jack Daniels and honey for a sore throat / cough. Can add a touch of lemon juice. Does work. Loved it as a kid. I think JD now sells a honey version themselves.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 pm Loved it as a kid.
>click<