Lets talk about beds.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

MCQueen2

Re: Lets talk about beds.

Post by MCQueen2 »

Transitioning from a water bed after 25 years is a big change. I've heard mixed reviews on Sleep Number and Purple mattresses, as comfort preferences vary. Some love the adjustability of Sleep Number, while others find Purple's unique material comfortable. It might be helpful to try them out in-store or look for detailed customer reviews to see which aligns better with your sleep preferences. Sweet dreams on your new mattress
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MCQueen2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:46 pm Transitioning from a water bed after 25 years is a big change. I've heard mixed reviews on Sleep Number and Purple mattresses, as comfort preferences vary. Some love the adjustability of Sleep Number, while others find Purple's unique material comfortable. It might be helpful to try them out in-store or look for detailed customer reviews to see which aligns better with your sleep preferences. Sweet dreams on your new mattress
My best combination is a sleep number on max firmness with a purple pillow. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I need to find an in store place with Purple. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry. This mattress has been intolerable for some time now. Being intolerable for another month or two won't kill me. I'm just prioritizing my money toward the turning an idea into a reality now.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That was my problem. I know people with Purple mattresses and they love them. But they aren’t real cheap anymore and I felt like I needed to lay on one first. Thank God I did, they aren’t for me.

People seem to either love them or hate them, and I landed in the second camp. I don’t know how to describe it other than to say it was like someone found a way to combine a water bed and a hammock. And not in a good way. It was like lying in jelly.

After reading the rest of these responses I really have no defense for the path I followed. I ended up with a really high end Tempurpedic Cal King. The only flaw so far has been that they didn’t properly prepare me for day one.

The mattress has medium firmness but when they ship in cold temps, the material reacts. It was like sleeping on concrete for a couple of days. It is now at the firmness I felt in the showroom.

The most important feature so far is motion isolation. This bed is the best I’ve experienced on that front. That price tag was no joke though.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:59 pm I need to find an in store place with Purple. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry. This mattress has been intolerable for some time now. Being intolerable for another month or two won't kill me. I'm just prioritizing my money toward the turning an idea into a reality now.
https://purple.com/stores/?qp=Detroit%2 ... 04664&r=25
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Even better with my Zip code. There are three within a three mile drive of my zip code. Two of which I didn't know exist. Maybe I'll get out this week. Though I'm getting spendy right now. I just fixed a bunch of plumbing in my bathroom and had plumber fix what I couldn't. And I plan to finally get a good (enough for me) pair of running shoes. When you have no income, $200 here and $200 there adds up quick. Like at about $400... Not that it's not doable, it just changes the way I look at my spending. :ninja:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm quite happy with my new-ish Saatva. It was pricey but they brought it upstairs for me and took the old one away; I'm not capable of doing either of those things myself. I see it listed for $1,800 right now, but I'm sure I didn't pay much more than $1,000.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:58 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:40 pm Dunno but I'm interested in the results. I need a new mattress and box spring and I'm no mood to buy one. So, I'm hoping something comes out of this thread for when that time comes. I also was engaging the idea of Purple.
I think I've hit the point where it's time. Trying to figure things out isn't easy. I need to be on a budget but also don't want to be so cheap that I hate my mattress like I do now.
disarm wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:37 am Ever notice that no two stores ever sell exactly the same mattress? There's no competition or price matching because each store gets a product with a slightly different appearance and name, even though the mattress itself is often identical.
Until today, I never had. It's not making life easy.

Right now I'm looking at Costco as the way to go but I have no idea. I can take my time on this unless I discover sale pricing on something that actually goes poof, as opposed to the sales trying to make me think this way but again it's difficult because there doesn't seem to be a system.

The price of Purple mattresses seems to have gone up dramatically, so they are backburnered for the moment. I see seely's as the price conscious way to go but again, don't want to go cheap if scaling up means that much.

Looking at the early "I love my Casper" has me thinking about them.
I was in Costco yesterday and they have the 11" purple for $1699. That's what I paid for my 9" last year.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

MCQueen2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:46 pm Transitioning from a water bed after 25 years is a big change. I've heard mixed reviews on Sleep Number and Purple mattresses, as comfort preferences vary. Some love the adjustability of Sleep Number, while others find Purple's unique material comfortable. It might be helpful to try them out in-store or look for detailed customer reviews to see which aligns better with your sleep preferences. Sweet dreams on your new mattress
We are on our 2nd sleep number. The first was a while ago and our pup ended up chewing through a bunch of wires.
We picked up a new one a few yea4s ago with the temperature control pads which our very nice.
One thing we didn't realize so be cateful. Their bed try and return pilicy only applues to the matteess and not the frame if you get it there. Whatevee frame you get is yours as soon as it hits your floor. We got one with a feet warmer but didn't find out until too late that it doesn't work as well with the temperature pads since they can block it.
Other than that we love it. Mostly due to the adjustments. I have back issues and constantly have to change it to fit my needs.
Oh, also their temperature oads work on a remote but do not work with their app which doesn't make sense.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife loves the Purple and only trying it made her feel better about the high price.

We have a premium model with foam on top of the mesh, as she didn’t like the pure mesh model. She has hip and knee problems, and we’re juggling a big guy and small gal with a need to isolate our movement on the bed. The combination model solved those problems and even very nice hotels don’t compare.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
disarm

Post by disarm »

We bought a new Casper Dream over the weekend to replace our 9-year old original Casper mattress that we bought when they were one of the only 'bed in a box's companies around. Despite being almost ten years old, our original Casper has held up really well...no significant indentations and sleeps pretty much the same as when it was new. The main reason we upgraded was because we're passing the old one down to one of our kids, not because of any issue.

As for the new Casper Dream, it feels pretty much the same as our old mattress except for having a softer top surface... same medium-firm support underneath. The biggest difference was the price...$1500 for a queen now, which is think is more than double what we paid for the last one. Unfortunately, bed-in-a-box companies don't seem so concerned with undercutting the traditional mattress markers anymore. Still beats going to a mattress store though!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Went to the first store. Didn't hate the Purple. Didn't love it either. $2700 for the cheapest for a mattress I don't love. Not in the running.

Everything I read says get a medium memory foam bed for my sleep. I really didn't like the rubbery squishiness of the few memory foams I lay on. The best of them were all hybrids but they still weren't something I loved. Tempur pedic "adapt" was as close as it came and it was well out of my pricing... So begins the journey that will probably end with Costco and something cheap that I can't lay on before I buy. Good thing I'm in no hurry but I won't get a new mattress until I start the journey...

I have a couple few more very local places to try over the coming ???? before I start to think about it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:09 pm After reading the rest of these responses I really have no defense for the path I followed. I ended up with a really high end Tempurpedic Cal King. The only flaw so far has been that they didn’t properly prepare me for day one.

The mattress has medium firmness but when they ship in cold temps, the material reacts. It was like sleeping on concrete for a couple of days. It is now at the firmness I felt in the showroom.

The most important feature so far is motion isolation. This bed is the best I’ve experienced on that front. That price tag was no joke though.
Our Tempurpedic is 20 years old this year and I'm starting to think about replacing it. Did you get the one that has the cooling cover on it? I loved our bed when I was in Wisconsin because it was great at trapping heat. Here is South Carolina, this is much less of a benefit and is really my only complaint. It's just a lot of money to spend on something that might not be worth the upgrade (compared to the one without the cooling construction). My wife really wants the next one to be adjustable - which, for a king, would make the bed cost 30% more than the first car I ever owned. Ouch.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just checked the manufacture date on my (twin) mattress - 1992. probably really about time to replace that. i want to go to a full, but my bedroom is incredibly tiny...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a regular bed right now that I'm perfectly happy with. My d-i-l says the VA will give me a hospital be for free but I don't want one. Unfortunately I'm not in charge around here.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:58 pmOur Tempurpedic is 20 years old this year and I'm starting to think about replacing it. Did you get the one that has the cooling cover on it? I loved our bed when I was in Wisconsin because it was great at trapping heat. Here is South Carolina, this is much less of a benefit and is really my only complaint. It's just a lot of money to spend on something that might not be worth the upgrade (compared to the one without the cooling construction). My wife really wants the next one to be adjustable - which, for a king, would make the bed cost 30% more than the first car I ever owned. Ouch.
Yeah, we got the -10 degree LuxeBreeze Hybrid. It's adjustable, but not their insane adjustable frame.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.local3news.com/local-news/w ... 24cc3.html

Mattress that has speakers and subs built in..supposed to help ya sleep...also good for gamers. included a heater and a air conditioner to blow air.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So, wanting to die in a fire while you sleep?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:29 pm So, wanting to die in a fire while you sleep?
To music.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You call that a fire to music? bah :P

Probably 10 years since me and my wife saw this ep. But the fire and the Enya song and the family and pics really left an impression on me . I find it haunting even today.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've been sleeping on the floor for the last few months. :lol: I might have been Asian in a past life.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Have you at least looked into an air mattress? My dad had one in the early 80s even. Used it for guests. Didn't have a air compressor so it was either us or a foot pump. Even as a teen i couldn't blow that sucker up without passing out lol. But it was comfy as I slept on it once or twice for fun. Id camp out in front of the living room big tv. Big tv as in 25" woooo.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:12 am Have you at least looked into an air mattress?
I have two bedrooms with perfectly good beds available to me. I'm sleeping on the floor because I like the firmness. :wink:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Has anybody got or checked into those body pillows? They of course make them sound great but I'm sure most all of us are skeptics.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:04 am Has anybody got or checked into those body pillows? They of course make them sound great but I'm sure most all of us are skeptics.
I just want one for the sexy pillow cases you can get for them. :wink:

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

OK Sanji.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:04 am Has anybody got or checked into those body pillows? They of course make them sound great but I'm sure most all of us are skeptics.
I got my wife one for Christmas a few years before she passed. She never used it and she always slept wit ha pillow between her knees. I still have it but its just against the beds back side where it is against the wall. Keeps my little dog from falling into that crevice.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I have one (a plain one not a sexy one). I find that I sleep better with it than without it. I generally like sleeping on my side bit at an angle towards my stomach and this helps most of the time to keep me fully rolling one way or the other.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Punisher wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:49 pm I generally like sleeping on my side bit at an angle towards my stomach and this helps most of the time to keep me fully rolling one way or the other.
We joke that my wife serves that purpose as we go to sleep. I am on my side leaning a little into her and she is on her side leaning into a body pillow. It doesn't last long before we roll away but we always start out like that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian, with an ass-pillow in 5, 4, 3...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’ve used a few over the years. It’s helpful to avoid ending up contorted.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Punisher wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:49 pm
I have one (a plain one not a sexy one). I find that I sleep better with it than without it. I generally like sleeping on my side bit at an angle towards my stomach and this helps most of the time to keep me fully rolling one way or the other.
As a side-sleeper, I hug a large firm pillow to my chest. I don't have a product designed for that, just an ordinary if slightly oversized pillow. I've always heard them called a Dutch wife.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Also... now I can't seem to unsee the title of this thread as a Salt-n-Pepa song...
Spoiler:
Let's talk about beds, baby
Let's talk about you and me
Let's talk about all the good things
And the bad things that may be
Let's talk about beds

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.