Oscars 2024

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Oscars 2024

Post by YellowKing »

I didn't see a specific thread when searching so apologies if there was one.

Quick thoughts:

- No surprise that Jimmy Kimmel has been asked back to host so often - he's inoffensive enough not to ruffle feathers, even if overall it comes off a bit bland

- Biggest surprise to me was the number of awards Poor Things snatched from the jaws of Barbie. I haven't seen it yet, though. Looking forward to it.

- Good to see Robert Downey, Jr. win, I had no idea this was his first Oscar. Loved his speech, too, very on-brand for his brat pack image. I was pulling for Paul Giamatti, but I love RDJ so no hurt feelings there.

- Very happy to see Da'vine win for The Holdovers. I absolutely adored that movie, and she had IMO the best acceptance speech of the night.

- Also very happy for the Godzilla Minus One crew, though I wish they'd gone with a translator. I didn't understand a word of that speech.

- Who had Billie Eilish being the youngest 2 time Oscar winner? That's wild, but good for her.

- I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet so I can only assume it was deserving of Best Picture. Was happy to see Christopher Nolan finally get the win though.

- Starting an hour early was GENIUS and so welcome. I couldn't believe I was wrapping up the Oscars at 10:30pm. And even without the earlier start, they were quite efficient this year.

- Favorite funny moment (only funny moment?) was John Cena's nude bit. Though I also chuckled at John Mulaney's long-winded Field of Dreams explanation.

- The entire ceremony was a bit dull overall, but it seems that's the way the Academy wants it after the Will Smith slap.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Oscars 2024

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wife and kids were watching, I wasn't really paying attention but I did walk in when some guy was doing a tequila toast? Like an in-program advert? Weird but I guess we're there now.

Also heard excited squealing during a "Ken half-time show"?

I'm kind of face blind too so I can never tell who is who at these things. I know the big ones I've seen for decades (Downy Jr, Deniro, etc) but anyone younger than 50? Good chance I won't recognize them so all the excitement is really lost on me.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Lawbeefaroni wrote:Wife and kids were watching, I wasn't really paying attention but I did walk in when some guy was doing a tequila toast? Like an in-program advert? Weird but I guess we're there now.
That was Kimmel's sidekick Guillermo doing a bit. I don't watch Kimmel so the humor was a bit lost on me, I just knew enough to know who it was.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar was the only thing here I saw, but hey, it won an award.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I don’t think I have cared about the Oscars since the 70s or 80s. I just don’t see enough movies anymore. I also think it’s a medium that takes itself too seriously.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I understand why they do it, and I've watched and enjoyed the Oscars myself in the past. But I will admit to finding it a bit self indulgent and ridiculous as well. Plus, it's obviously more about box office than it is actual artistic merit in most cases.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:36 am
Lawbeefaroni wrote:Wife and kids were watching, I wasn't really paying attention but I did walk in when some guy was doing a tequila toast? Like an in-program advert? Weird but I guess we're there now.
That was Kimmel's sidekick Guillermo doing a bit. I don't watch Kimmel so the humor was a bit lost on me, I just knew enough to know who it was.
Don Julio 1942 is now the official drink of the Oscars too! I doubt they even had to pay to get that advert either!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I would expect that was likely product placement. He does it goofily so it’s easy to overlook.

My sister is in advertising and has placed her new products on Kimmel’s show. Once they even forced him to stay in town to make the plug, per contract.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, appears so.

https://www.adweek.com/convergent-tv/ab ... 24-oscars/
During the ceremony, Diageo (Don Julio’s parent company) pulled off a viral marketing stunt, introducing its Don Julio 1942 Tequila 50-milliliter bottle as Kimmel’s sidekick, Guillermo Rodriguez, toasted with Best Actor nominee Colman Domingo and gave tequila shots to audience members.

In an ADWEEK exclusive, we learned that Kimmel, a long-standing partner of Diageo for more than 13 years, was a critical part of the stunt and pitched the idea, according to Teni Melidonian, chief Oscars officer, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Diageo also has a long relationship placing products with the Academy and the Governor's Ball.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

This was the first year in a long time I had actually seen a number of the nominees:

Oppenheimer
The Holdovers
Barbie
Killer of the Flower Moon

And on my list to see are:

The Zone of Interest
Poor Things
Maestro

For what it's worth, I'm a huge Chris Nolan fan, but I didn't love Oppenheimer. I thought it was good, maybe very good, but not great.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I had only seen Oppenheimer, but while I liked it, I didn't love it and felt it was too long. Felt like it had lost some focus towards the last quarter with the trial.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We've seen a few:
Oppenheimer
Barbie
American Fiction
Poor Things
Godzilla Minus One
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm just Ken was robbed. I so wanted to see that win.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:34 pmI didn't love Oppenheimer. I thought it was good, maybe very good, but not great.
Thank you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:34 pm I had only seen Oppenheimer, but while I liked it, I didn't love it and felt it was too long. Felt like it had lost some focus towards the last quarter with the trial.
We watched the first half one night and the second half the next, and used subtitles every time the soundtrack got too loud, which was frequently. Even then, I dozed off a couple of times. I have trouble following nonlinear stories. Sitting through three hours of that in a theater would've been torture.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I loved Oppenheimer. But 3 hour movies don’t bother me if they’re good.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Octavious wrote:I'm just Ken was robbed. I so wanted to see that win.
I think it would have if the voting was after the performances. That was awesome!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:55 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:34 pm I had only seen Oppenheimer, but while I liked it, I didn't love it and felt it was too long. Felt like it had lost some focus towards the last quarter with the trial.
We watched the first half one night and the second half the next, and used subtitles every time the soundtrack got too loud, which was frequently. Even then, I dozed off a couple of times. I have trouble following nonlinear stories. Sitting through three hours of that in a theater would've been torture.
Yeah, loud soundtracks are pretty typical Nolan at this point, and so are non-linear stories. But I would have much preferred it had he just told the story in a linear fashion this time around. I don't find it added to the story one bit.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I saw Barbie, The Holdovers, Killers of the Flower Moon, Maestro, and Oppenheimer.

Barbie was good for what it was, but certainly not Best Picture material.

I loved The Holdovers, to the point I rewatched it a couple of weeks later which is almost unheard of for me. For my money it was the best picture, though I knew it didn't stand a chance against Oppenheimer.

Killers of the Flower Moon was good, not great. It was way too long, and though the way it concluded was clever, it also felt like a cheat.

Maestro was easily the worst best picture nominee of those I saw. I disliked everything about it except for Carey Mulligan, who was the only saving grace in the film.

I just finished Oppenheimer last night and thought it was fantastic. But I'm a HUGE Cillian Murphy fan so his portrayal certainly swayed me. I also thought it was a deserving Best Score winner because the score was so tightly integrated into the film - without that score, the movie would have lost all tension.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:17 am Killers of the Flower Moon was good, not great. It was way too long, and though the way it concluded was clever, it also felt like a cheat.
So they found Season 8 of Friends?
It's almost as if people are the problem.