[movie]Star Trek Beyond

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: [movie]Star Trek Beyond

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, it was Spock-Chapel in the series. Uhura had the hots for Kirk.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Wasn't it more Chapel>Spock?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pretty much.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Yeah, it was Spock-Chapel in the series. Uhura had the hots for Kirk.
Jeez, one kiss and you're labeled as the Captain's Booty for the rest of your life!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Like the captain ever just had one.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Saw this Sunday afternoon and really enjoyed it. IMO, the best of the last 3 Treks. The chemistry of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy finally felt right. Lots of fun. Highly recommend it.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote:Saw this Sunday afternoon and really enjoyed it. IMO, the best of the last 3 Treks. The chemistry of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy finally felt right. Lots of fun. Highly recommend it.
I agree, and I read that it's making less money than the previous two because it isn't breaking out beyond the fanbase. Domestic gross won't cover the cost of making it (it'll be profitable when all the money is counted, but it ain't a blockbuster). You can bet that future movies won't be as Trekky.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:Hmmm...
Spoiler:
were the thick legged, armored dudes just automatons of some sort? I assumed they were just more Enemy Mine lookalikes, like Krall, but in armor.
Spoiler:
The distress call (that was had-waved away) that showed them being captured looked very bot-like when the guards tromped up to catch them.

While we see plenty of alien redshirts get wasted, not one of them, to my recollection, gets unmasked or shows any signs of flesh under the armor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That would certainly answer that question then. If they mentioned this at any point, I must have missed it.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote:That would certainly answer that question then. If they mentioned this at any point, I must have missed it.
I mentioned it in the spoiler in this post.
Hodor.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

One thing that would have been a nice twist...
Spoiler:
If the "bots" turned out to be 1st gen/origin of the Borg.. I kind of thought they were going this route with the Hive talk and the "bots" kind of reminded me of the Borg
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Regarding the "drone soldiers"
Spoiler:
In interview with Doug Jung co/writer ST:B,
Justin's idea was that [the soldiers] were sort of like drones in a way, and that they don't actually have a lot conscious thoughts of their own. That sort of answers how Krall would be able to come in and take all this stuff.
source: Trekcore interview w/ Doug Jung
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Kraken wrote:
Grifman wrote:Saw this Sunday afternoon and really enjoyed it. IMO, the best of the last 3 Treks. The chemistry of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy finally felt right. Lots of fun. Highly recommend it.
I agree, and I read that it's making less money than the previous two because it isn't breaking out beyond the fanbase. Domestic gross won't cover the cost of making it (it'll be profitable when all the money is counted, but it ain't a blockbuster). You can bet that future movies won't be as Trekky.
I disagree in a sense. The movie was reviewed well, so there's no reason that anyone watched the first two wouldn't watch this one. However I do think that one of the problems is that there is no TV show to draw in new fans. I suspect thei audience is aging because so many came to ST through TOS and STNG, and fewer through the last couple of series. And putting the new audience building show behind a paywall isn't going to build an audience for the movies.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote:
Kraken wrote:
I disagree in a sense. The movie was reviewed well, so there's no reason that anyone watched the first two wouldn't watch this one. However I do think that one of the problems is that there is no TV show to draw in new fans. I suspect thei audience is aging because so many came to ST through TOS and STNG, and fewer through the last couple of series. And putting the new audience building show behind a paywall isn't going to build an audience for the movies.
You're right about the audience; this site said that Trek is not considered a AAA property. The new movie is bringing in less than the first two. I fear that they'll draw the wrong conclusion and double down on the pew-pew next time out (not that this movie was light in that department). That would be a shame after they finally nailed the tone.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Saw it and enjoyed it. I liked the first two as well although I am not 100% cool with the differences between this timeline and the original. Not having Vulcan around anymore messes with my head.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Naming the space station what they did caused me all sorts of confusion.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Daehawk wrote:Cool pic
I always like cross section diagrams. I remember in the TNG Enterprise blueprints they had multi-story water-filled quarters for cetaceans. Somehow "save the whales!" never came up on that show.

Save the wee turtles!
There is no hug button. Sad!
tgb

Post by tgb »

We went this afternoon and I thought it was just OK. It would have been an average episode of TOS, had it aired on TV. The best moment for me was the shout-out to Nimoy.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but just watched it today.

Spoilering just in case.
Spoiler:
I had to laugh at the Beastie Boy music in the trailer and how it got trekies all pissed off, and now after watching it, the joke is on you!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Grifman wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Box Office Mojo has another idea. They seem to think that Jason Bourne killed Star Trek's box office.
Finishing in second place, and dropping 61.6% after taking the top spot at last weekend's box office, Universal's Jason Bourne finished second with an estimated $22.7 million. While the latest installment in the Bourne franchise had a strong opening, including an "A-" CinemaScore, it was obviously affected by the release of Suicide Squad.

There just doesn't seem to be enough room on the release schedule as Bourne may have been better off had it waited until the last weekend of August. In fact, had Bourne waited a few weeks to release it may have also helped Star Trek Beyond, which dropped another 59% this weekend after dropping 58% in its second weekend when it faced Bourne's debut. The final month of Summer 2016 has certainly had its share of strong openers and anticipated features, but by sharing a large portion of the audience they are cannibalizing each other.
I saw Beyond on Saturday and really liked it. I hope there are more movies in the franchise like this.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Aw son of a gun!! I forgot it came out already! Now no one will be there to watch with us....that sucks. I wanted to see both Deadpool and Star Wars wit ha crowd and missed my chance both times. Now Ive missed STBeyond. Dang.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Too many blockbusters is the problem. Most of us don't watch a movie EVERY weekend, and analysts seem to think that a movie needs to have "legs" (i.e. draw in crowds week after week) to be successful when it's obvious that international market is where money is made. And ST:B won't hit China until September. Let's talk about it then...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I liked the new Star Trek movie....not a classic....and again they like to drag the endings out, but it was a fun ride with characters I enjoy watching. The movie also returned somewhat to the characters relationships and development of the first movie, something they pretty much dropped from the second movie.

The plot again makes very little sense, and you have to accept a lot of stuff, but I can live with that in my sci-fi action movies.

I am not a big fan of the "circling camera" but I guess that is just how modern action movies are filmed now. We saw this at a theater with three screens, which was kinda weird but you got used to it after awhile.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Scuzz wrote:I am not a big fan of the "circling camera" but I guess that is just how modern action movies are filmed now. We saw this at a theater with three screens, which was kinda weird but you got used to it after awhile.
Saw it last night and really liked it. I'd put it on par with ST:IV and ST:VI but it doesn't quite reach the heights of ST:II

My wife really, really enjoyed the choice of music in the pivotal scene toward the end. :mrgreen:

The spinny camera was really noticable particularly early in the film. I'm not sure if they backed off after awhile or I just got used to it but it was almost comical at times. You don't have to spin the camera in every scene...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still not seen it. Not even sure its on though Id guess it is. I may not go. Seems I wont. Ive seen all Star Trek films since Star Trek II in like 1982,.

EDIT: Well its off here and only on on 2 screens in the next town. I dont feel like going this week so I may miss it totally. Shame. Going to be mad and disappointed but f it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just watched this again on a whim. It holds up really well - just a fun adventure. It's too bad they didn't have a chance to make more films with this crop of actors.