Rogue-likes and Rogue-lites

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Dramatist

Rogue-likes and Rogue-lites

Post by Dramatist »

I have enjoyed a lot of these usually Indie games. Also I have not enjoyed a lots of these games. I’d like to find more I enjoy and maybe avoid some that are duds or too hard.

I really enjoyed Hades. I’ve been playing Rogue Legacy 2 some lately and I’m enjoying that but it’s probably a bit too hard for this old man. Undermine was really fun. I feel like I should really like Darkest Dungeon, but I just can’t get all the way into it. Spelunky 1 & 2 were just too hard.

What are some other fun games like these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Isgrimnur

Re: Rouge- likes and Rouge- lites

Post by Isgrimnur »

*Rogue
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Re: Rouge- likes and Rouge- lites

Post by GreenGoo »

Dead Cells seems like an obvious one. It eventually got too hard for me too, but not until several completions and increases in difficulty. I agree Hades was very good.
Dramatist

Re: Rogue- likes and Rogue- lites

Post by Dramatist »

Isgrimnur wrote:*Rogue
Yes, I’m an idiot. Image

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tapatalk emojis don't show up on desktop.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That is one of the most frequently misspelled words. I watched a video on BG3 where some guy did an in depth analysis of different classes with a master chart - which he ruined with "rouge." I asked him in the comments if it was intentional.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My senior year of high school, I signed a friend's yearbook (in a couple spots) where "rogue" was part of a running gag between us. Misspelled it as "rouge" each time. 30ish years later, she still doesn't let me live it down. /sigh Such a dumb mistake.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:17 am That is one of the most frequently misspelled words. I watched a video on BG3 where some guy did an in depth analysis of different classes with a master chart - which he ruined with "rouge." I asked him in the comments if it was intentional.
Yeah, it's a pet-peeve of mine. I always think they mean elite squads of red lipstick wearers. That's the thought it conjures.

First time I noticed it was around the time Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear released. People kept misspelling 'Rogue', and at first I thought it was cute the first few times, but it's caught on and now anytime the word comes up associated with gaming, it's often misspelled. I don't know if people do it intentionally or if they know the difference, or if it's some inside joke that's gone on for 20+ years.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I don't like rogue-likes. They just frustrate me. I don't really get the point. I mean, games are supposed to be fun, yet here's a genre which seeks to frustrate and block progress as much as it can. I never feel like I'm making progress with these games.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

My personal favorites:
Slay the Spire (best IMO)
Vampire Survivors is good, short fun
FTL
I liked Hades a lot, but just too hard, too soon for this KB+ mouse jockey

Supposedly Risk of Rain 2 is the king in this genre according to some super fans but I have not tried it yet.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

If you are open to a FPS rogue-like/lite (I forget the distinction), Void Bastards is tons of fun. Obviously not like the others.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:41 am If you are open to a FPS rogue-like/lite (I forget the distinction), Void Bastards is tons of fun. Obviously not like the others.
I was about to suggest the same. I dislike rogue-likes, but I have really liked some rogue-lites. It was Void Bastards that got me there. Everspace was another.

For rougelikes, I don't have any suggestions, but don't pinch your cheeks. It's bad for the skin.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i like the difficult ones, so i am not sure i have any good recommendations for you - however....

* The Binding of Isaac might have ruled the 2010s. fun fact: the creators of the original parted ways, so the original Flash version and the Rebirth reboot received completely different DLC ! (sorta like the Spintires/Mudrunner debacle)
* Noita might well rule the 2020s. i _wish_ this game would continue to get worked on, but that doesn't seem likely.

can't forget the original (free) Spelunky either, which i'd certainly put up there with BoI. funnily enough, i never really got into the 'actual' Spelunky releases...
https://www.spelunkyworld.com/original.html

these are among the all-time greats, in my opinion.

also Risk of Rain 2 is ok, but i'm not feeling it. (Risk of Rain 1 i definitely _did not_ like)

as for actual "Roguelikes", i thought Iter Vehemens ad Necem (IVAN) was pretty fun, but it's been out of official development for years - i'd check out the fan continuation...
https://attnam.com/
https://github.com/Attnam/ivan
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I played Roguebook for longer than most games I get through monthly humble bundle. It was enjoyable if not fantastic.

Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

GreenGoo wrote:I played Roguebook for longer than most games I get through monthly humble bundle. It was enjoyable if not fantastic.

I actually downloaded this game this morning because it was free on PlayStation plus. It looks interesting.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I also kinda enjoy Enter the Gungeon, but I don’t like that it is so luck based on whether you find a good gun early in your run. I wonder if Exit the Gungeon is a little more forgiving.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:35 am
TheMix wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:41 am If you are open to a FPS rogue-like/lite (I forget the distinction), Void Bastards is tons of fun. Obviously not like the others.
I was about to suggest the same. I dislike rogue-likes, but I have really liked some rogue-lites. It was Void Bastards that got me there. Everspace was another.
I've tried Everspace which is supposed to be one of the better ones, but disliked it. I guess when it comes down to it, I just really dislike the grind associated with these types of games.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:06 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:35 am
I've tried Everspace which is supposed to be one of the better ones, but disliked it. I guess when it comes down to it, I just really dislike the grind associated with these types of games.
Obviously I can't speak for everyone. But I never felt like Void Bastards had a grind. You were always pushing forward to achieve a goal. If anything, I was usually a bit sad when it ended. Sometimes I even ran a few more missions just to extend the game some.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'll give that one a try. I think I already have it on my list too. I think it would help in games like these if clear objectives are given, and maybe ranked by difficulty.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Dramatist wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:34 pm
GreenGoo wrote:I played Roguebook for longer than most games I get through monthly humble bundle. It was enjoyable if not fantastic.

I actually downloaded this game this morning because it was free on PlayStation plus. It looks interesting.

I posted about it earlier this week. Grabbed it on a whim from PS+ and have been really enjoying it.
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:48 pm As a palate cleanser, I grabbed Roguebook. It's a roguelike deckbuilder developed by Richard Garfield (creator of MtG), similar to Slay the Spire. The gimmick is that in addition to building your deck, the game also has you uncovering a map that has all sorts of hidden secrets, mobs, treasures, and other items. It was surprisingly engaging, and a few hours just flew by without me even realizing it. The cardplay is interesting, there are some cool synergies between characters, the art style and music are great, the progression between runs seems to strike the right balance of making each progressive run slightly easier without removing the challenge, and the whole package was just really fun to play. I don't know that it'll have a ton of longevity, but it's certainly worth a look if you have PS Plus.
This genre never sticks with me for long, but I do typically enjoy them for a while. I get bored doing exactly the same thing over and over again with small incremental improvements, but if the core gameplay is solid I'll definitely give it a shot.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

You can check out r/roguelikes. They have a very firm definition of what makes a rougelike. So not sure if you'll find these fun or not but here's some popular recent titles:

Caves of Qud
Cogmind
Rift Wizard
Zorbus

And there are a ton of free roguelikes you can find on https://roguebasin.com/index.php/Main_Page
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:46 pm I'll give that one a try. I think I already have it on my list too. I think it would help in games like these if clear objectives are given, and maybe ranked by difficulty.
Let me know if you have any questions.

But, in general, you will have an overall objective. And pretty quickly you'll get a sensor that will tell you which vessels have what items. So you'll know which ships you need to visit to progress. However, often you'll also want to stop at ships along the way in order to gather specific resources that will help you improve your character.

It's very important (at least on harder difficulties) to know when to avoid a ship, and when to bail on a bad situation.

Black Lives Matter

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Here are several of my personal favourites in no particular order:
  • Streets of Rogue - A pixelly top-down rogue-lite set in a randomly generated city, in which the corrupt mayor has banned chicken nuggets. You can play as a hacker, scientist, comedian, gorilla, vampire, bartender, and dozens of other weirdly wonderful unlockable characters. Don't let the looks put you off, because the entertaining player choice and emergent gameplay this game provides easily rivals the original Deus Ex. It has an amusing sense of humour, and greatly rewards the time you put into it. Great on your own, and hilariously enjoyable if/when played co-op with friends.
  • Fury Unleashed - A somewhat lesser-known side-scrolling twin-stick platforming rogue-lite shooter, featuring gorgeous hand-drawn comic-book-style aesthetics. It plays akin to arcade shooters of old, such as Metal Slug or Contra, with tight controls, fast action, loads of weapons, and a fun comic-book shtick that ties it all together.
  • Enter the Gungeon - A rogue-lite that perfectly combines bullet-hell combat with twin-stick shooting, with a compelling rogue-lite progression system that will keep you coming back. Almost everything in the world of Enter the Gungeon, from enemies to items, is themed around guns and bullets. As a Gungeoneer, you must delve into the Gungeon in search of loot, purpose, or something even greater… such as a mythical gun that can kill the past.
  • Children of Morta - A story-driven rogue-lite action RPG with a focus on family dynamics. You control the Bergson family, each with unique abilities, as they battle through procedurally generated dungeons to save their homeland from a corruption spreading throughout the land. The game emphasizes family bonds, character development, and strategic combat in a beautifully crafted pixel art world.
  • Noita - A magical action rogue-lite in which you explore a procedurally generated world filled with dangerous enemies and environmental hazards. It uses a unique pixel-based physics engine, where every pixel is physically simulated. This essentially means the entire world is incredibly malleable, creating a treacherous landscape that reacts to the spells and magic you learn to create yourself. Meaning you can burn, melt, freeze, and evaporate your surroundings, providing nearly limitless ways to interact with the environment via a plethora of spells. However, this also means countless ways to die in hilarious and embarrassing ways, due to how easy it is to cause utter chaos and devastation. These systems make Noita one of the most reactive games out there, and well worth your time if you’re looking for something new.
  • Dead Cells - The game that helped popularise and cement the idea of a 'roguevania.' An incredibly satisfying indie gem that perfectly blends elements of both rogue-lite and Metroidvania genres. Splendid visuals, gorgeously detailed vistas, fast-paced combat, and intense action sequences. It provides an abundance of interesting secrets to uncover, with tight gameplay mechanics, and a rewarding progression system. Which all adds up to a mighty addictive gameplay loop.
  • Rogue Legacy 2 - Move through a maze of traps and pitfalls as you storm a castle in the sequel to one of the all time great rogue-lites. If there’s any game that epitomises rogue-lite randomness, it’s this (and its predecessor). Because you can go from being dyslexic one run, to a vegan who gets hurt by eating meat, and an angry dwarf in the next. Making it almost irresistible not to try one more run each time. With randomized runs and changing characters, the difference here is that after every death, you spawn as your last playthrough’s heir. Defined by your last run and your parents’ inheritance, you become strong by building up the family manor and giving your children the best fighting chance as you progress further.
  • Void Bastards - A stylish first-person rogue-lite with a unique cel-shaded comic book appearance, that tells a funny, misanthropic, and snarky story, filled with surprises and space shenanigans. This boils down to an amusing and chaotic first-person rogue-lite shooter, where you lead a ragtag group of prisoners through derelict spaceships in search of supplies. You must navigate through amusing, chaotic, and unpredictable dangers, crafting bizarre gadgets, and making tough decisions along the way to survive the treacherous void bastarditude of space.
  • Beneath Oresa - A rogue-lite blend of deckbuilding and turn-based combat with stunning combat fluidity, courtesy of its superbly cinematic Moebius-inspired animations and art style. It does have a somewhat steep learning curve, so it may take a while to sufficiently learn the ropes. But that's the fun of it; there's an enjoyable challenge in figuring out how to use companions, counter-attacks, positioning, etc. But as you learn to read carefully and think twice prior to making your decisions, the simple act of choosing and playing cards begins to feel mighty satisfying.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:10 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:46 pm I'll give that one a try. I think I already have it on my list too. I think it would help in games like these if clear objectives are given, and maybe ranked by difficulty.
Let me know if you have any questions.

But, in general, you will have an overall objective. And pretty quickly you'll get a sensor that will tell you which vessels have what items. So you'll know which ships you need to visit to progress. However, often you'll also want to stop at ships along the way in order to gather specific resources that will help you improve your character.

It's very important (at least on harder difficulties) to know when to avoid a ship, and when to bail on a bad situation.
Or when to avoid a route.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I realized that Dead Cells is on PlayStation Plus so I downloaded it. I really haven’t been able to dive into it yet.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

So after spending a little quality time with Dead Cells I am enjoying myself. It’s a platformer game and I didn’t know if it would click with me but the controls are really good so there’s no frustration there. It’s pretty hard but I beat the first mini boss yesterday on my second try so I feel good about that.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Streets of Rogue and Noita, I love...

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:18 pm
  • Children of Morta - A story-driven rogue-lite action RPG with a focus on family dynamics. You control the Bergson family, each with unique abilities, as they battle through procedurally generated dungeons to save their homeland from a corruption spreading throughout the land. The game emphasizes family bonds, character development, and strategic combat in a beautifully crafted pixel art world.

I've been eyeing this one. How would you rank its difficulty (solo)?
Anonymous Bosch

Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:45 pm Streets of Rogue and Noita, I love...

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:18 pm

I've been eyeing this one. How would you rank its difficulty (solo)?
The combat mechanics are relatively straightforward. One of the key factors that contribute to the challenge of the game is the roguelike/lite element. Because each time you venture into the dungeons, the layout and enemy placements are procedurally generated, requiring you to adapt your strategies on the fly. Additionally, if all family members fall in combat, then you must restart the entire dungeon run, adding a layer of tension and consequence to each battle.

However, in typical roguelike/lite fashion, the game does offer various mechanics and systems that help you progress and overcome challenges. Meaning you can level up your characters, unlock new abilities, and acquire better equipment, which make subsequent runs easier. It also features a skill-based dodge mechanic, encouraging you to master timing and positioning to avoid taking damage.

Overall, while it can be challenging at times, especially in later stages and against tougher enemies and bosses, I think it offers a fair and rewarding experience if you're willing to persist and learn from your mistakes. I'd say the game's difficulty curve is quite well-balanced in the way it allows you to gradually improve your skills and strategies as your progress through its narrative, and unlock new family members and abilities.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I don't mind learning from my mistakes in a Dwarf Fortress / Noita way - but I do have a little hesitation when you mention that it will be more of a 'master timing' thing.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it's sad that Noita is a sub-genre all of its own, as i really would like to play other games like it, but... there aren't any
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:32 pm it's sad that Noita is a sub-genre all of its own, as i really would like to play other games like it, but... there aren't any
Yeah, it's a really great game - and truly unique.
Anonymous Bosch

Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:19 pm I don't mind learning from my mistakes in a Dwarf Fortress / Noita way - but I do have a little hesitation when you mention that it will be more of a 'master timing' thing.
Don't worry, the game features an 'Evade Bar' under characters' feet, indicating when they can evade attacks. If you face difficulty progressing, consider breaking old habits. Children of Morta uses a shared skill system, so focusing solely on levelling up a preferred character limits access to team-wide bonuses that affect each of your characters. Powerful bonuses are granted at levels 4, 8, 14, and 20 that can't be ignored. They can be crucial for survival, especially in challenging scenarios. So swapping to somebody new and reaching those low level thresholds can be vital for your survival, and all the more so when you reach harder difficulties. The point being, don't be afraid to break out of your comfort zone and embrace the notion of taking on a new challenge with a different character. Also, for upgrades, prioritise spending your Morv on options that significantly boost your progress, such as increasing damage output and reducing damage taken. Although these upgrades might seem boring, they're crucial for survival and advancement in Children of Morta.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:41 pm The point being, don't be afraid to break out of your comfort zone
Okay, but it's super comfy.

:)
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

There’s a thing I almost always do in these games. At least the ones that grab me. I will luck into a strong weapon or build and kind of have an excellent run with mostly low skill play.

I will then watch some YouTube tutorials and try to learn some synergy with my build and some higher skill play and then play badly for awhile.

In Dead Cells I found a legendary book melee weapon and went further than ever just by swinging fast. I didn’t need to dodge roll, or you secondary skills. Just mainly attack and jump.

I’m a much more skilled player now, but that was still my best run.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest