Against the Storm - "Rogue-like," TROPICO-like, Village Builder

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Against the Storm - "Rogue-like," Majesty-like, Village Builder

Post by LordMortis »

I'm not sure how it's not a city builder on a small scale. You resource gather to build buildings to shelter your citizens and create an economy that keeps your citizens and your queen happy as well as trade them with passing traders. I suppose you could call it a small 4x RTS but I think it has more similarities to city building.
Unagi

Re: Against the Storm - "Rogue-like," Majesty-like, Village Builder

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:30 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:56 am No heroes or combat. But you manage resources similar to Majesty, I guess. I don't see a lot of Majesty in it. If the trip word for you is Majestylike, I'd suggest looking for a Let's Play. If you have an itch for tech treadmill repeating mini city builder then this will scratch it well. If anything, I'd say it's more a Populouslike, then a Majestylike.
This. I love Majesty. One of my all time favorite game series. I went into Against the Storm hoping it was going to give me that. But it doesn't. I can see why some make the comparison, but for me it's far more complicated and is more like a City Sim. I'm not saying it's a bad game, mind you. I do enjoy it. But my search for a Majesty type game still continues.
Same here. This is why I wanted to call out the "majesty-like" label. I think someone going into the game looking for a Majesty-like game will not get that scratch-itched at all.
baelthazar

Re: Against the Storm - "Rogue-like," TROPICO-like, Village Builder

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:59 am I'm not sure how it's not a city builder on a small scale. You resource gather to build buildings to shelter your citizens and create an economy that keeps your citizens and your queen happy as well as trade them with passing traders. I suppose you could call it a small 4x RTS but I think it has more similarities to city building.
Look all - this game is a Tropico-like. You tell the people you want a work site, they go build the work site, you assign workers to work site. They make goods that either fulfills the needs of your population or that you export to get money or the goodwill of the queen. You build houses, you build "factories," and you have challenges and missions.

That said, it IS like Majesty in the sense that it is Fantasy themed, you don't control the population directly, and there are "hot spots" on the map that you have to tell your people - indirectly - to deal with. So I see the comparison. But go into this thinking Tropico and not Majesty. So maybe I made that mistake in the OP.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I fixed the title. It's been 23 years since I played Majesty, so you'll have to forgive the comparison. It just "felt" like the vibe was the same.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:52 am Look all - this game is a Tropico-like.

I can live with that. If only it had the whimsy and soundtrack of Tropico 2. I loved that game.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I still giggle at my houses full of Beavers.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

*Bump*

Really enjoying this because:

1) The mini city-builder slant. I like those games, but I never last long with them. Here, I get to scratch that itch, and not feel like I'm leaving it unfinished. Smaller scope and very goal focused. Plus, if I mess up in some ways, I hopefully can do it better next time. So far, I've played rounds without stopping and can take lengthy breaks between them. Keeps the game fresh for me too.

2) I love the randomness/options/choices throughout the rounds. Cornerstone choices, order/mission choices, and the variety of ways you can progress the map leads to interesting decision making. I also like how it contributes to a variety of situations making you adapt rather than defaulting to an unfailing uber-strategy.

3) The global/meta level and it's whole additional level of strategy. Yes, it's just unlocks, and rogue-like breadcrumbs. But I find it intriguing as it continues to unfold. I don't really know what I'm doing with the citadel and seals and such, but I'm learning.

4) Good balance between complexity/challenge and accessibility. I'm no dummy, but as I get older, I'm less willing to devote precious time to learn intricacies of an obtuse game design. Here - I know there's lots of depth and strategy built into the game, but it does a good job of introducing the systems and mechanics without overwhelming my tired brain. Yes, I did replay the tutorial once or twice, (over the first months of my dallying with the game), but now that I have the hang of it, it's fun to try to find the best ways to work 'the system'. And reading about the game via Reddit or the wiki shows there's more I can learn down the line.

I'm still in the very early stages of the game, but looking forward to using what I learned last round to my next play session. Also like the aesthetics and style of the program. Good game overall.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You can build fast with the steam/water tech but it increases risk. Or go slower without it. I usually don’t because copper is often scarce.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon