[Paramount+] Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: [Paramount+] Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Empath.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My first episode of Star Trek was Wolf in the Fold and it scared the crap out of me as a little kid.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Piglet as Jack the Ripper will do that to you.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive had the ability to watch this for months now and haven't. I used to jump on any and every Star Trek that came out. And this is the first one in a LONG time that seemed excellent to me.

I dont 'really' want to watch it on my PC though. My wife used to stream here services to the Xbox 360. Can this be done with Paramount+ or to the PS4? And which is better. it would then go to my tv.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Here you go Daegawk..

https://help.paramountplus.com/s/articl ... yStation-4

If you have a smart tv that might have an app as well. If you have a smart tv you might also be able to stream from your pc to tv.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And if you have any TV with an HDMI in, you can just get a cheap Roku stick (Like this one), which would give you access to that and a bunch of other free-with-ads channels.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No smart tv. yes has HDMI...isn't roku a service you have to pay for like hulu or prime? ...NM looked it up.

I guess the ps4 is the way to go. For now. When i can afford roku I might do that. i just hate picking stuff to watch. I love to flip channels lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well at bedtime last night I wasn't sleepy and decided to get off my duff and set this up so I can watch it on my bigger tv in bed. First problem was the remote wont power on the tv any longer. Everything else seems to work on the remote but the power on/off button. Lucky I found the manual switch hidden in the hard to reach left back side area.

Then I tried to use the Xbox 360 like my wife always used to stream stuff. Gave up in frustration after a go at it. Its just too old now to use as a streaming device even. So fired up the PS4. After a big update I was up and running without much hassle other than having to find my Paramount+ password.

Watched my first ep of Strange New Worlds ...yep..as I thought..its awesome. Knew I would love it. The sights and especially the sounds really bring back the warm memories. And Anson Mount is amazing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

4 eps in and loving it.

For some reason the eps seem short. And having to watch commercials during streaming is pretty shitty too.

Also 4 eps in and I dont have a clue who the actors are other than the Captain and Number One. Something about the intro and theme isn't grabbin me and I haven't seen their names yet or had them committed to memory.

And lastly...Uhura...grow your hair out..its weird Uhura doesn't have hair.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah I really enjoy SNW. The main thing I dislike so far is the Gorn, given that they're a blatant Aliens rip-off that doesn't really fit all that well in Star Trek.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I finished season 1 last night. Felt short at just 10 eps. Was a really fun ride though. I worry how the series will end with Pike heading for that future that seems to have to happen the way it does. I didn't know the original Pike in TOS so weell of course and he was fleshed out some in the old books I read. But I love this Captain Pike and Anson plays him so well I want him to have a better outcome . Worries me Ill hate the way the series ends when it does. And it seems hell bent on ending sooner rather than later. They could squeeze a lot of seasons and eps into 5 years of missions or seven.

Anyways the eps all take me back to the eps of TOS with their naming and the different stories...everything from a musical to Balance of Terror remake. Look forward to season 2.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:01 pm Worries me Ill hate the way the series ends when it does. And it seems hell bent on ending sooner rather than later. They could squeeze a lot of seasons and eps into 5 years of missions or seven.
Well, if they do one year of real time per season, they'll be at around season 9 before that happens. They'll be in season 7 or 8 before he is no longer Captain of the Enterprise. And they're currently going slower than that (seasons 1 and 2 are both set in 2259.) Although I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a time jump for the finale. I think the point is to give some context to Pike's sacrifice rather than just 'got hurt in an explosion.'

Besides...
I want him to have a better outcome

(Spoilers from a 57-year-old episode dealing with the final chapter of Pike's life.)
Spoiler:
It may not have been Pike's first choice, but he absolutely gets a good ending, and gets to live happily ever after with a woman he already has feelings for. It also gives Vina (said woman) a much, much better ending than she had in the original pilot. Can't complain too much about that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

God I love this show. Probably my favorite after TOS. Its put together and acted so well. I saw the Rygil 7 ep last night and the shot at the start of the Enterprise flying towards the binaries was just gorgeous.

But as much as Im enjoying it Im find most episodes sad. Mostly the endings. I think between season depression, bills, and stuff and still again losing my wife i and actually very sad at a lot of the endings.

SPOILER for the ep tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
Spoiler:
the ep Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow actually mad me cry at the end due to her emotions. I sat there telling myself its just a show just a story and just an actress....but even clearly knowing all that all I could do was think when she was crying at the end was like me losing my wife in a way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Only 2 more eps left to watch in season 2. I iz sad. Ive so enjoyed watching an ep a night then going to bed. Even is season 3 is this year they wont all come out together. im not sure Ill even have paramount+ by then. been a fun ride. I like having all eps so i can watch one a night. they should make shows like that :P
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I just started watching this over the weekend. I'm enjoying it so far. I do like that it has the more traditional Star Trek format of exploring different worlds each episode.

One thing I can't quite put my finger on is Rebecca Romijn's face in this show. Please don't take this as me disparaging her, but she looks different to me. And I don't mean bad plastic surgery different, she almost seems puffier in the face only, but the rest of her body looks as fit as ever. Is it just me or does she really look different?
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I didn't recognize her either. I think she's likely just a healthier weight and/or maybe her face just filled out. I wish I could remember an example, but I've recently seen a few actors/actresses that I'd remembered looking different but then I realize my memory is from when they were in their 20s and now they're in their 40s or 50s.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:06 am I just started watching this over the weekend. I'm enjoying it so far. I do like that it has the more traditional Star Trek format of exploring different worlds each episode.

One thing I can't quite put my finger on is Rebecca Romijn's face in this show. Please don't take this as me disparaging her, but she looks different to me. And I don't mean bad plastic surgery different, she almost seems puffier in the face only, but the rest of her body looks as fit as ever. Is it just me or does she really look different?
I didn't recognize her when I saw her in promos before the show aired. By then I knew who the cast was. I think its just her black hair and age. She is 51 now. Everyone gains weight and gets a puffier look to them when they age before losing weight in advanced old age and become skinnier again. I myself noticed it in the mirror...and I have belly fat I CANT get rid of no matter if i eat nothing hardly.

Materialism and chemicals change with age. I used to eat a fridge a day as a teen lol. In fact my weight was fine doing nothing and eating what i want until I turned about 48.

EDIT: Also she is 5'11" so a big girl.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Last ep tonight. im sad but excited.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:52 pm
Scraper wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:06 am I just started watching this over the weekend. I'm enjoying it so far. I do like that it has the more traditional Star Trek format of exploring different worlds each episode.

I didn't recognize her when I saw her in promos before the show aired. By then I knew who the cast was. I think its just her black hair and age. She is 51 now. Everyone gains weight and gets a puffier look to them when they age before losing weight in advanced old age and become skinnier again. I myself noticed it in the mirror...and I have belly fat I CANT get rid of no matter if i eat nothing hardly.

Materialism and chemicals change with age. I used to eat a fridge a day as a teen lol. In fact my weight was fine doing nothing and eating what i want until I turned about 48.

I mean to be fair I'm much puffier at 47 than I was at 35. And not just in my face.

Back on topic I watched the first Gorn episode last night and I really liked it. I'm not sure why people were so down on their redesign. If they had gone with the 60s version in a 2022 show it would have looked absolutely ridiculous. There's a reason why the classic Gorn Episode is used a punching bag for camp so often. I reserve the right to change this opinion though, as the first episode with them in it doesn't really show the Gorn themselves.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a little disappointed with the Klingons. I was hoping they would go with the TOS style. But that number from the near to last ep of season two made me laugh. lol. Loved it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scraper wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:06 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:52 pm

I mean to be fair I'm much puffier at 47 than I was at 35. And not just in my face.

Back on topic I watched the first Gorn episode last night and I really liked it. I'm not sure why people were so down on their redesign. If they had gone with the 60s version in a 2022 show it would have looked absolutely ridiculous. There's a reason why the classic Gorn Episode is used a punching bag for camp so often. I reserve the right to change this opinion though, as the first episode with them in it doesn't really show the Gorn themselves.
I don't want to make too big a deal of the Gorn, since overall I do really like SNW. My main issues are: (1) they're such a blatant Aliens rip-off; and (2) as presented they don't really make sense - how exactly are they a space-faring species when there's little evidence of intelligence or like, you know, ability to design and pilot spaceships?

They didn't have to go with the cheesy TOS Gorn, but Xenomorph Gorn feels weird and out of place.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

2) as presented they don't really make sense - how exactly are they a space-faring species when there's little evidence of intelligence or like, you know, ability to design and pilot spaceships?
I thought that every time I saw them. A lizard to a dog to a full adult....intelligence and starship building and using seem beyond a species like that.

Personally id like to see them a lot like van helsings werewolf form in the hugh jackman movie. Big humanoid, still slow but not as slow as TOS, and slightly bent over and a shorter tail......remember the sleestaks in Land of the Lost? Sorta that but faster and of course lizard looking not alien lizard :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:29 pm
2) as presented they don't really make sense - how exactly are they a space-faring species when there's little evidence of intelligence or like, you know, ability to design and pilot spaceships?
I thought that every time I saw them. A lizard to a dog to a full adult....intelligence and starship building and using seem beyond a species like that.

Personally id like to see them a lot like van helsings werewolf form in the hugh jackman movie. Big humanoid, still slow but not as slow as TOS, and slightly bent over and a shorter tail......remember the sleestaks in Land of the Lost? Sorta that but faster and of course lizard looking not alien lizard :)
And to be fair, as presented in SNW it seems like the Federation still doesn't know all that much about how the Gorn operate. So it's possible they could fill in some of this in a satisfactory way in future episodes.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's not unlike what they do in some out of the way places in America though. They take newborns, give them melee weapons, and then let them battle it out for dominance.

Or did I just take a REALLY bad wrong turn while driving home for the holidays recently?
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All I really knew of Gorn was the one ep of TOS until i bought the game Starfleet Command 2 in the 90s. it had the Gorn as a playable side...as I recall I liked them..missile heavy and good armor. I did well playing them in multiplayer. And I still dont know much lol.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Aside from the one episode of TOS, one episode of the animated series, and one episode of Enterprise, there was nothing more to know about them until the Discovery/SNW era.

My impression was that everything we've seen to date, with one notable exception, has just been the hatchling. I assume that after the weaker ones are killed off, the survivors are then taken and raised elsewhere, eventually becoming bipedal, and, if they're strong enough, being awarded their rubber suit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As I mentioned before, that’s another thing that annoyed me. They clearly state in TOS that the Federation has NEVER encountered the Gorn before. Now years before TOS’ timeline, the Federation is well aware of them.

And, as El Guapo and I have mentioned before, they’re now shitty xenomorph ripoffs.

They should have gone with the Tholians. Now THAT is a race I’ve always wanted to see more.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tholians are cool but OP. I enjoy what I see of them in Star Trek Online. Even saved a Tholian queen and her ship by boarding it.

Unless they totally invent a new enemy they are pretty confined by TOS and other stuff. Enemies would be Rom or Klingon or something . Other stuff is too weak to be a threat and Tholians are too strong. Gorn seemed to have to be it. They look cool as adults but ya way to much Aliens. The Gorn was strong but slow so it equaled out in TOS. Here they are super quick and strong . Kinda OP themselves.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Confined? Star Trek has more races and history than 90 percent of other tv shows. They could feature one race a week from their pantheon and not run out of stories for years.

As for weak? Dude, there are numerous powerful races in TOS alone. Charlie X, Who Mourns for Adonis, Catspaw. Watch any of those episodes (and many more) for aliens that put the Federation to shame in terms of power.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:02 pm As I mentioned before, that’s another thing that annoyed me. They clearly state in TOS that the Federation has NEVER encountered the Gorn before. Now years before TOS’ timeline, the Federation is well aware of them.
But maybe they're going to explain why the Gorn seemingly disappeared from everyone's collective knowledge before Spock and Kirk had to fight shirtless to the death.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What is it with you and spontaneous loss of shirts when it comes to Kirk and Spock?

Scene 1, Act 1: Kirk and Spock are in the transporter room discussing a new mission. Suddenly, the ship’s ventilator system kicks into high gear, sucking both mens’ shirts right off their suddenly well oiled bodies.

Side note: do Gorns wear shirts? I wonder if they have novelty t shirts, if so. I’d love to see a Gorn walking around with an I’m with Stupid t shirt and an arrow pointing up.

P.S. I think this is all Covid talking at this point.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My area of Star Trek expertise is basically focused on the Decon-gel from Enterprise. The Gorn in Strange New Worlds are Shakespeare in comparison.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scene 2, Act 2: Kirk and Spock are in sick bay when suddenly, decontamination gel starts spraying everywhere. The two men quickly remove their shirts and attempt to clean up the mess, only to end up snapping their wet towels at each other and giggling.

…yeah, I’m pretty sure I’m Covid loopy.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:26 pm Tholians are cool but OP. I enjoy what I see of them in Star Trek Online. Even saved a Tholian queen and her ship by boarding it.

Unless they totally invent a new enemy they are pretty confined by TOS and other stuff. Enemies would be Rom or Klingon or something . Other stuff is too weak to be a threat and Tholians are too strong.
Like many other races the Federation has faced. The Pakled were a problem, and they were absolutely weaker. The Borg were stronger and more advanced, as were the Dominion. They don't need to use Tholians by bringing them in for one-on-one ship battles. Remember when the Federation had a fleet of 100 ships battling 100 Borg cubes? Neither do I. "OP" is a gaming term, not a story writing term.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:26 pm Enemies would be Rom or Klingon or something.
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:43 pm Side note: do Gorns wear shirts? I wonder if they have novelty t shirts, if so. I’d love to see a Gorn walking around with an I’m with Stupid t shirt and an arrow pointing up.
Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:15 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:26 pm Tholians are cool but OP. I enjoy what I see of them in Star Trek Online. Even saved a Tholian queen and her ship by boarding it.

Unless they totally invent a new enemy they are pretty confined by TOS and other stuff. Enemies would be Rom or Klingon or something . Other stuff is too weak to be a threat and Tholians are too strong.
The Pakled were a problem, and they were absolutely weaker.

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.