Slay the Princess, horror visual novel (Win/Mac/Linux)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Slay the Princess, horror visual novel (Win/Mac/Linux)

Post by Hipolito »

This is an indie game that's gotten some good press. You start out by approaching a cabin in the woods. The narrator tells you there's a princess in the cabin and you have to kill her.

You can use the dialogue menu to ask the narrator questions and ultimately enter the cabin and decide what to do in there.

The title implies violence. Things can get gruesome. But you probably won't be fazed if you've had a healthy exposure to horror.

The story has a particular structure that might blow your mind ... if you've never seen it done before. I have seen it done before (and better) in
Spoiler:
the Zero Escape series
and possibly other games. I was reminded of how the movie Interstellar didn't hit me the way it hits most people, since I'd seen its concepts done before.

A story like this can become tedious if you don't find ways of keeping it fresh. It helps that this game has dialogue that's philosophical and existential, even funny at times. The evocative pencil art, gentle soundtrack, and decent voice acting help, too. Unfortunately, this game was tedious anyway. I lost interest about 3/4 of the way through and just wanted to get it over with.

I usually try to unlock every ending of a visual novel, but the idea of playing this game any further just makes me shake my head. I barely remember the ending I got, but whatever it was, I'll just accept it and move on.