[Retro] Split-Second (arcade racer w/ explosions)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

[Retro] Split-Second (arcade racer w/ explosions)

Post by Kasey Chang »

Split Second is one of those racing games of the 2000s, crash the **** out of everybody. Burnout, Twisted Metal... But Split-second has a twist... you draft behind your opponents to gather "power". Once you charge up the power you trigger hazards on the road like explosions, falling structures, crashing planes... to crash your opponents (while not crash yourself) as you negotiate the more and more chaotic course and hopefully you're the last one standing. It came out in 2010, so the graphics is a LITTLE dated, but works great at 1080p at impressive framerates. You still have to drive, drift around corners, and stuff, so it's still challenging, but not excessively so. However, the joypad interface needs a LOT of work, as the menu manipulation is still via keyboard even though controls are set to joystick/joypad?! So it's basically a bit like Mario Kart... you shoot "powers" at the enemies ahead of you, while you drive quickly to avoid falling for the same powers/traps, and win the race. Albeit, with much bigger explosions (like an entire airport blowing up).

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Chraolic

Re: [Retro] Split-Second (arcade racer w/ explosions)

Post by Chraolic »

I've been wishing for a sequel to Split Second for over a decade now but I guess it's just never going to happen, apparently Disney owns the rights and refuses to do anything with them. What other game lets you drop an airliner on your opponents, though?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Chraolic wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:35 am I've been wishing for a sequel to Split Second for over a decade now but I guess it's just never going to happen, apparently Disney owns the rights and refuses to do anything with them. What other game lets you drop an airliner on your opponents, though?
The devs have the sequel planned, but Disney decided they're not getting enough returns from these AAA titles and canned the whole studio.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This was released within a month of Blur, and I have that game too. That game took a bit TOO MUCH inspiration from Mario Kart... As you actually *do* select your weapons and shoot them just like Mario Kart.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Episode 2: Airstrike

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've played up to "episode 7" and the enemy cars are cheating
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's cheating so badly I can't even get into the top 3 to advance to next episode.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Eventually I did finish the game, won the "championship", and saw the ending. Not much replay value, IMHO. Depends a LOT on chance and luck.